Photo

Star Trek at SDCC 2022: Was anyone else underwhelmed by the announcements?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 01:08 AM

The title pretty much says it all. Am I the only one who wasn't impressed by what I saw? Over the past couple of years we've either gotten huge announcements about upcoming projects or seen something related to existing shows that made me excited about them. This year we basically got confirmation that LD is going to have an episode involving DS9, potentially with some cameos, but no announcement of who we're going to actually hear the voices of, a SNW/LD crossover as part of LD season two mixing live action and animation, (just the thought of this honestly has me cringing; if I wanted to watch Pink Panther I'd watch Pink Panther,) and a confirmation from Alex Kurtzman that two more Trek shows are in the works with no additional details other than "expect more female leads in the future." Again, whether that applies to only one or both new shows isn't fully known yet. It's also not known if these are the Section 31 show that was previously announced and the Starfleet Academy show that was referenced previously as well, or if they're additional unnamed shows. If it's the former, all I can say is "well duh;" obviously the S31 series starring Michelle Yeoh is going to have a female lead, and if the Academy series is going to focus on Tilly, it's pretty obvious that would have a female lead as well.

Likewise, I get not wanting to give away too much about Picard season three, but I feel like they screwed the pooch on this one; once Paramount admitted that this was going to be the final season, (basically confirming what they pitched before season one even aired,) this should have been the centerpiece of the presentation. Sure, we got a new teaser trailer, but nothing like a potential release date or any details on what we're actually going to be seeing. Given that season three is supposed to be infinitely better than season two was, and that this is the first new Trek show to reach its conclusion, I would have thought it would have gotten more attention as part of a big build–up to its send–off. I'm really hoping that we get a proper spin–off of this series and that the reason nothing was revealed yet is that Kurtzman doesn't want to give said spin–off away just yet, otherwise this will truly feel like a wasted opportunity to really hype people up for season three after shanking season two. (To be fair, my understanding is that season two kind of does make sense once you get to the end of it, but basically suffers from a "middle trilogy syndrome" of sorts, combined with having two new showrunners who were more focused on other projects; Matalas on season three, and Goldsman on SNW.)

Is it just me, or was this just not Trek's year for SDCC announcements?

#2 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 09:08 PM

Ok glad it wasn't just me.  Yeah the new LD and SNW stuff was great.  See now Im a bit different as I'm looking forward to the crossover but thats just me.  I really was hoping that Playmates would show off another ship at least and with the news of Eaglemoss that really puts a damper on my Christmas plans.

#3 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:52 AM

I stay away from series announcements, preferring to go in cold and unspoiled. The utter lack of any interesting merchandise was disappointing but hardly unexpected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users