6 replies to this topic

#1 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:15 AM

Playmates figures

I have collected since the late 80's and starting in 92 the playmates figures and ships. Over the years I have found and picked up almost ever known version of figure / card / color / mistake / error / I can find. However, I still feel that these figures and ships were made as toys and not display pieces. I have no doubt that the 4,5 ones were with no intention of being anything else. The 9" and the 12" still hold their own as display pieces against anyone that has ever tried to make ones that size. As a matter of fact I have always thought that this one

IPB Image

Is one of if not the best Kirk ever made.

But back to the subject at hand. I do not think that it is fair to compare the 4.5 figure against the AA/DST line as I hear so often done. I hold that the AA/DST line is a display piece and being such, is not a toy such as the 4.5 Playmates are. It is the age old comparison of the apple and the orange.

Anyone else's thoughts?

#2 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:47 PM

I will disagree only slightly with you FHC.

I do think that Playmates figures were meant for play-ability. I look back at them now and realize that if they were made today, I wouldn't tolerate the likenesses and reused parts. Back then it was cool though. I admit to playing with mine on several occasions and I was old enough not to do stuff like that then. The playsets were designed to hold and house figures as you played with them. I agree with you there.

I disagree when you say that DST are only made for display though. I think they are very displayable pieces, but I think if these were made in the late 80's/early 90's I would so be playing with them! They are heavier and sturdier, but look at the articulation and the likenesses. I could have had a blast setting up a phaser fire scene with Picard, Data, and Worf against the evil tyranny of the Borg drones. The accessories are so much nicer too. No more plain red, green, and blue tricorders. They actually look they were supposed to. All that is left is getting some awesome playsets and I would be a happy 13 year old all over again.

Of course, some of those same arguments can be used on your side of the debate too, but I so could play with these.

PS - The Masterpiece Kirk is one of the few items I am missing from the Playmates era. I have Picard and he is absolutely amazing though!

#3 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:41 PM

I do play with my AA/DST figures, and I have to say they play a lot better than the Playmates figures for me because of size and poseability. But, I do think the Playmates figures were made for little kids to kick and throw around without fear of breakage or damage. For normal play, both are fine, but if you were to play as roughly as your normal 6-10 year old, the Playmates figures would probably be best.

#4 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Writing, collecting Star trek figures, movies, Tennis

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(FHC @ Feb 25 2007, 06:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Playmates figures

I have collected since the late 80's and starting in 92 the playmates figures and ships. Over the years I have found and picked up almost ever known version of figure / card / color / mistake / error / I can find. However, I still feel that these figures and ships were made as toys and not display pieces. I have no doubt that the 4,5 ones were with no intention of being anything else. The 9" and the 12" still hold their own as display pieces against anyone that has ever tried to make ones that size. As a matter of fact I have always thought that this one

But back to the subject at hand. I do not think that it is fair to compare the 4.5 figure against the AA/DST line as I hear so often done. I hold that the AA/DST line is a display piece and being such, is not a toy such as the 4.5 Playmates are. It is the age old comparison of the apple and the orange.

Anyone else's thoughts?

I think the playmates make great display pieces. Besides, they have a sort of sentimental value to them. I remember the feeling I got when I dusted off an old Voyager figure at a comic book shop last year.

#5 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE(FHC @ Feb 25 2007, 06:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Playmates figures

Anyone else's thoughts?

That figure does look a lot like Kirk...I wouldn't be surprised if it started talking!

#6 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(TrekCollector01 @ Aug 17 2008, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That figure does look a lot like Kirk...I wouldn't be surprised if it started talking!

Hope you don't think I'm crazy for saying that. It was just a joke.

#7 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(knightone @ Feb 25 2007, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do play with my AA/DST figures, and I have to say they play a lot better than the Playmates figures for me because of size and poseability. But, I do think the Playmates figures were made for little kids to kick and throw around without fear of breakage or damage. For normal play, both are fine, but if you were to play as roughly as your normal 6-10 year old, the Playmates figures would probably be best.

Yeah, you can use them in pretty much any situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users