32 replies to this topic

#1 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:32 PM

I only own 4 of these.

At the time...with soo much Trek coming out in soo many different scales....I decided to leave the 12"ers alone...atleast until they released Beverly. This never happened & I did not get into the line at all.

I did eventually break down (about a year ago) & bought a few. The dress uniform Picard was a must have. Aside from Picard being one of my favourite characters, I really love that uniform! biggrin.gif

Anyone buy them all? I wouldn't mind seeing Janeways face if anyone has a pic.
Was it a bun Janeway or pony tail?

#2 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

Does anyone ever look at the website? tongue.gif

#3 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:07 PM

I have the "Piece of the Action" Kirk and Spock, TWOK Spock,and the regular TOS Spock, all MIB. I also have TOS Spock and TWAOK Spock loose. Really nice figures i think, although they are a bit too broadchested IMO. I would like to get the other 12" figures if i can find them at the right price.

#4 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Aug 24 2006, 06:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
although they are a bit too broadchested IMO.

That was the problem with the line. I can almost hear Spock say "I'll be back".

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:22 AM

Another problem was that Playmates used different color fabric to produce the shirts on the Spock and McCoy figures, which looked strange. Spocks shirt was too blue, and McCoys wasnt blue enough.

#6 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Aug 24 2006, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another problem was that Playmates used different color fabric to produce the shirts on the Spock and McCoy figures, which looked strange. Spocks shirt was too blue, and McCoys wasnt blue enough.

Blue? Spock had a white undershirt and McCoy a green one. Besides, I don't recall them ever making a 12" McCoy.

Oh wait a minute, you're talking about the TOS TV era figures. Sorry, but when I thing of the original cast I see them in their regular red uniforms.

The only TOS TV era figure of this line I have is a Kirk. His face looks more like a TAS Kirk, his shirt is fluo-like green-yellow and he has the body of Schwarzenegger. On top of that, I remember buying him "site unseen" after I saw pictures of the prototype of the Picard figure of that line. There were no pictures available of the Kirk yet and the article in Previews didn't say it was going to be a TOS TV era Kirk. I naturally assumed it would be a regular red jacket Kirk. I was dissapointed when I got it.

#7 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:35 PM

Yes, they all had too buff of bodies, but then you arent supposed to take advantage of the fact that they have removable clothes, unless you want to check out their...articulation. I guess they have to make it look like the clothes are not too baggy, nor the figure is too skinny. They also didnt make each person of differing heights/stockiness.

Sad Bernsy, I guess you were too young to realize there was a TOS series that precluded the movies, ohh wait, you are old...
Which movie was he likely to be out of, wasnt TrekIII coming out at the time, why wouldnt they have released the TMP version, or better yet, start out with the TOS version? When I bought my Gangster Kirk, I didnt think he came from The Voyage Home, well perhaps for a little while, no wait I knew it was POTA. Not Planet of the Apes btw.
Since Picard was released in his TV costume, then it made sence to have Kirk in His. If you want to give him away, or Trade someone for a TWOK one, I am sure you would get a few yes's. I realize shipping is a bugger, I would trade you evenly for my Kirk/Spock TWOK, but I only have the one right now.

VF, I dont know if you have the Kirk that Berns is refering to, nor the Sulu/Chekov, but they also have differing colours in their uniforms. Plus Kirk has a two piece ensemble, as opposed to everyone else's "jumpsuits". That differs, plus the way that they didnt put a black outline around JTK's insignia.

#8 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:25 PM

Do you guys mean this one? Kirk is green here?

Or maybe this one

or this one

could be this one

maybe this one

or it could even be this one

or how about this one,he sure looks older here

Or heck we could even be talking about his one

then there is this one,

If it's not any of them how about

Sorry I can only post 10 per post LOL.

As a Trek Collector I love then all the same. I like each and everyone of them for different reasons. Sure some have their flaws more then others but NONE of them are 100% right and they never will be. Bill just has a face that is too hard to get right for one thing. Still I want one of everyone of them. smile.gif

#9 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:41 PM

I will show you the new improved TOS 12" Kirk. I found one on eBay for the same as the others go, but the guy fixed the insignia and even the braiding. FHC, can you show a side by side of 12" Kirk and Chekov (or Sulu) and a side by side Spock and McCoy. BTW, the subject was '12" Playmates', not all those smaller versions. Geesh, I hope you dont tell the wife those are all twelve inch figures. smile.gif
How come your Kirk test shot has writing on it? I had two sets, and neither had markings. My ML She Hulk is the first one I got with writing on it.

#10 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:42 PM

I have a set of them with markings or what they liked and didn't like. I wish I had time to post the photos you want but if you like go ahead and look them up by name on the website. You can feel free to post them.

#11 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:35 PM

Right, you are just trying to make me go look at your pages. Well it aint gonna work, I will not fall for that trick, not in a million...hey what is that, never mind. You probably dont even have the pictures anyway, I will prove it...

awwww tooo late, I looked

and these two

the colours didnt fare so well, I will put up some pics later, side by side... OUT of the boxes, bwahahaha

#12 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:07 AM

QUOTE(Tiberius @ Aug 25 2006, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you arent supposed to take advantage of the fact that they have removable clothes, unless you want to check out their...

The advantage of removable clothes is that they hide those nasty points of articulation. Also, if you put all plastic figures in a position with their hands in the air ("we surrender", excellent position for a Picard figure) the colors of the uniform on the arms do not match with the colors on the body.

I guess they have to make it look like the clothes are not too baggy, nor the figure is too skinny. They also didnt make each person of differing heights/stockiness.

Look at the SildeShow figures (I have 2 of their James Bonds), they have a normal body.

Which movie was he likely to be out of, wasnt TrekIII coming out at the time, why wouldnt they have released the TMP version, or better yet, start out with the TOS version?

Excuse me? The Playmates 12" figures were made in the early 1990's. That means a TUC Kirk was what I thought I would get.

Since Picard was released in his TV costume, then it made sence to have Kirk in His.

That's not how I saw it. At that time Picard didn't even have a movie uniform. We saw him only in his season 1-2 TNG uniform, his season 3-7 TNG uniform, his "Captain's Jacket", his DS9 jumpsuit (Generations) and a few garments he only wore in one episode. So it was logical to assume they would make him in his season 3-7 TNG uniform. Kirk at that time was a movie icon, seen in a regular red jacket, a bomber jacket, a landing jacket, 2 different vests and some civilian clothes. The logical choice would have been the regular red jacket. I saw no logic in them making an outdated version of a character that was at that time still a character of the 'present'. Today it's a different matter. Indeed, today Kirk is no longer a character of the present. And there are 79 episodes of a TV series and only 6 movies of him in the red jacket (worse, in TSFS and TVH he is out of uniform most of the time!) So today it would be a logical choice to make a Kirk figure in his TOS TV uniform. I don't like that, but I understand it. Back in the early to middle 1990's, when Kirk was still a character of the present, it never crossed my mind that someone would actually make a 'past' Kirk instead of a then 'present' one. And I still believe it was wrong.

If you want to give him away, or Trade someone for a TWOK one, I am sure you would get a few yes's. I realize shipping is a bugger, I would trade you evenly for my Kirk/Spock TWOK, but I only have the one right now.

The figure is loose and the box is thrown away. No, I'll keep it and I'll try to find a 12" TWOK Kirk and 2 TWOK Spocks (so I have a Captain's uniform for Kirk!) Come to think of it, I will try to find a 12" TMP Kirk as well, so I can put the TOS Kirk next to the TMP Kirk, next to the TWOK Kirk.

VF, I dont know if you have the Kirk that Berns is refering to, nor the Sulu/Chekov, but they also have differing colours in their uniforms. Plus Kirk has a two piece ensemble, as opposed to everyone else's "jumpsuits". That differs, plus the way that they didnt put a black outline around JTK's insignia.

Yes, now that I see these pictures, the later versions do seem to be an improvement. It looks like the shirt is also a bit longer on the Checkov pictured. On Kirk, the yellow shirt looks like it shrank, but they had that in some episodes too. How's the color of the shirt on the checkov?

#13 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

You're going to have a bit of trouble with the TMP Kirk. He is not 12" at all, I think he is 13". I will see about adding comparison pics of opened figures side by side. Please stand by.

#14 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:06 PM

You mean like my Six Million Dollar Man? He's also a lot taller than my other 12" figures.

BTW: What if I tried to find some SideShow bodies? Or vintage GI Joe or action man bodies? And put the heads and clothes of my Playmates 12" and Mego 12" figures on them?

#15 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

Well then I might be interested in a custom like that Burns. What's your prices? biggrin.gif

#16 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:24 PM

yes, I think that would work, one would have to modify the clothes, so they are not too long. I was thinking of that for my six million dollar man. however I would want to put realistic bionics in him, and forget about that roll-away skin like this:

#17 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:25 AM

QUOTE(Tiberius @ Aug 26 2006, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, I think that would work, one would have to modify the clothes, so they are not too long. I was thinking of that for my six million dollar man. however I would want to put realistic bionics in him, and forget about that roll-away skin like this:

The roll-away skin on my smdm arms (regular and 'critical assignment') has deteriorated. So I removed what was left of it. I kind of like the left 'critical assignment' leg on my smdm. It looks real enough to me.
(If you're not familiar with the 'critical assignment' arms and legs, visit this page.

Now it's interesting to see that on the picture you showed there is indeed roll-away skin, only it rolls away downward.

#18 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:46 AM

Anyone have a group pic of the TOS figures out of their boxes?

#19 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:58 PM

How about this one, albeit dusty. They have since been put away, but I could get another picture.

oh, Kirk is not there in regular uniform... I'll do another later.

#20 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:13 PM

Those COTEOF figures are awesome looking!

Cheers for the pic.

You never found Uhura? She was the only 12" figure I ever saw in stores here in Australia...at Erina Fair from memory.
But for $45 I decided she could stay on the shelf.

I've regretted that decision many times...in fact I am right now! sad.gif biggrin.gif

Who is the guy in the red shirt behind McCoy?

I looked at the Ken & Barbie Star Trek set a few times....but they used very generic looking dolls for the figures...I wasn't expecting any character resemblance...just for them to use the more attractive dolls that I know very well they have.
So I skipped that set....though I may grab it one day...& switch the clothes onto some more attractive dolls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users