Photo

Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#41 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 04:20 PM

They need to, like, check in on their social media accounts a little more.

#42 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 22 January 2022 - 10:26 PM

They are Morgan. On Instagram last Tuesday they announced that the big reveal would be happening in six days (Or on Monday, January 24) Today there was another reminder stating that two days are remaining. I have never been in such a big hurry for a Monday to get here!

#43 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:09 PM

Anyone want 5" figures? Electronic vehicles? Role play?

Here you go!

#44 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:18 PM

Wow!

#45 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 01:38 PM

So when they say 5 inches is that exact or the approximation that was used for their original run?

#46 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 02:55 PM

Nothing in this initial line is screaming "BUY ME!" to me, but I can appreciate how the figures are pretty exciting. The sculpt looks nice - an evolution on the playmates figures of my childhood. If they're that close in scale to those original figures (I thought those were 3.75" or something?) then could they be compatible with the TNG Bridge Playset, shuttle, etc?
star_trek_the_next_gen_figures_playmates

Picard looks best there, Riker looks a little pudgy and Data looks a little twinkish.
The new articulation on the hips and shoulders looks way better, but it remains to be seen how mobile those arm joints are.

Now, on to categories I would normally buy:
Vehicles and Role Play toys.

These are a solid first offering in terms of choices. Classic Enterprise and TOS Phaser:

star_trek_originalseriesenterprise_playm

The Enterprise didn't come off looking great the first time they did her, and while this is an improvement in terms of proportions, the sculpt and paintjob feel very Fisher-Price and kiddish. I already have a far superior DST Enterprise, so unless there's some INSANE play feature that I need in my life, I think I'll pass. Exactly the same can be said about the phaser.
star_trek_originalseriesphaser_playmates

#47 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:05 PM

So when they say 5 inches is that exact or the approximation that was used for their original run?

That was the "scale" of the 1992-1999 line of core figures, though I've seen it referred to as 4.5" scale.

I guess this way we can either add new characters to our existing collections or upgrade. And the character selection is bland but pretty safe for a reboot.

I'm very interested in the packaging.

#48 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:37 PM

Im happy they are doing a variety. Wave 2 better have some DS9! Maybe even from Lower Decks and Picard.

#49 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:12 PM

I'm pretty happy with the figures and TOS Enterprise.... The Phaser is pretty weak.

I love the nostalgia factor for the figures... The head sculpts are pretty good also.

#50 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:41 PM

I'm good. I mean it's kids stuff after all....and I'm sure if there is enough support then one day they will do what Hasbro did with a black series.

#51 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 08:27 PM

Ehh Im probably gonna pass on that TOS Enterprise.

#52 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 09:41 PM

I'm in complete and utter shock that they aren't leading with a bunch of TOS designs. Has someone finally figured out that those of us in our collecting phase of life now have more nostalgia for TNG Era and movie-era TOS???

And yet...they had to go there for the ship and phaser. As if we haven't already had our fill of both of those things, done better...

Here are the big questions:

Will it go on long enough for some VOY and will Prodigy help with that?

Will there be Picard series figures?

Will they actually look good in person and come with good accessories?

Will they....do....lower decks?? In like a half realistic style? Hmm... and Prodigy?

I kinda always thought the vintage packaging was ugly so not really jazzed about that being redone for nostalgia...

Honestly I think this is going to be very short lived. Kids don't even like action figures anymore, let alone 1990s Star Trek ones.

10-15 years ago I'd have been all over this and buying the entire series, probably even doubles, no questions asked. But now I'm in the "jeez I need to stop collecting and sell some crap" phase of life. They missed the boat on the true golden timeframe for this sort of thing I think. And not only that but I'm now laser focused on what toys I *will* still collect, and I don't like Discovery enough to add it to that list.

That's just me of course but I also can't imagine stores keeping a Trek section around the aisles taking up space if enthusiasm is mediocre, and that's what I think is going to happen.

But yes, they do look cool, just not for me. But if the answers to some of those questions are the right ones I may dip in a little.

#53 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:42 AM

I think you are all missing out on the best thing of all - With those ball-jointed hips you will finally be able to get Number One to do the Riker Manuever when straddling a chair. Also people are complaining about those open hands without even knowing if these come with weapon hands but did any of you honestly think that maybe we can finally get Picard to do a face-palm?

#54 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 08:36 AM

I'm guessing Wave 2 will include characters with crossover potential, like Scotty (film + TNG), Janeway (VOY + Prodigy), and Worf (TNG + DS9).

#55 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 10:44 AM

The other shoe just dropped.

Per Entertainment Earth, the figures are $15.99 each, the Enterprise is $49.99, and the phaser is going for $29.99. 

As someone who might have been interested in the figures, I can't. 

#56 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 10:52 AM

Given inflation, I'm actually surprised how reasonable those price tags sound.

The figures these are picking up the legacy from were ... what... 5, 6, 7 dollars? Something that was that price 20 years ago being 16 bucks now makes a good deal of sense to me.

The ship is in line with cheaper DST ship prices too. Is it as good? All signs point to no, but regardless, I don't think they're taking the piss too badly here.

EDIT: The Super7 line of smaller TNG action figures with limited articulation is 2 bucks more expensive, and figures on EE for other franchises are around the 15 buck mark too. I really think this is a sensible price point for this day and age.

#57 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:15 PM

I think you are all missing out on the best thing of all - With those ball-jointed hips you will finally be able to get Number One to do the Riker Manuever when straddling a chair. Also people are complaining about those open hands without even knowing if these come with weapon hands but did any of you honestly think that maybe we can finally get Picard to do a face-palm?

:D

Given inflation, I'm actually surprised how reasonable those price tags sound.

The figures these are picking up the legacy from were ... what... 5, 6, 7 dollars? Something that was that price 20 years ago being 16 bucks now makes a good deal of sense to me.

The ship is in line with cheaper DST ship prices too. Is it as good? All signs point to no, but regardless, I don't think they're taking the piss too badly here.

EDIT: The Super7 line of smaller TNG action figures with limited articulation is 2 bucks more expensive, and figures on EE for other franchises are around the 15 buck mark too. I really think this is a sensible price point for this day and age.

Super7 figures are ridiculously priced.  If they had this articulation and improved likeness and enough accessories then they might not be so ridiculous.  So these are definitely closer to being worth $16 than Super7 are, clearly, but....  I don't think inflation from the 90's has quite reached 2x (100%) yet, so I think they are a bit more.  But maybe they should be since they are more complex figures than those were, one can already see.

#58 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 02:13 PM

Folx, this is a big effing deal, as Biden once said. We've only been waiting 20 years for this.

Very good sculpts here, very promising overall. Picard is dead-on, barrel-chest Riker is nice too. The approach to joints may take some time to get used to visually, but at least they can sit on the bridge playset normally now. Data's neck is supposed to be long, but not that long.

I like it how they went straight for the crowd-pleasers like TOS movies Kirk and Spock, whom they never did properly. It's almost as if they've heard us bitchin' about it. But still no Enterprise-A to be seen for now -- notice that? That was the one major overlooked item with ships back in the day. Doing the original Enterprise is just strange now cause it's already been done by DST. I would have thought we'd see the A and the Discovery if anything.

Very interested to see the eventual packaging. The pricing, on the other hand, is... I don't think it's store pricing as it's more than double that of the 1990s, you can go look at stickers still attached to 1990s figures. I wonder how long-term this line will be, and how deep they'll go with variety. There is now a lot of stuff to be made from all the new series, I'm glad they're not overlooking the old stuff.

To those wondering about inflation, $5.00 in 1995 is merely $9.15 today, for example, using the gubmint's inflation calculator. So this ridick pricing we're seeing is entirely EE's pricing, and likely not what we'll see in Target R Us. 

#59 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 06:22 PM

I dont know if its going to be similarly handled to other Playmates licenses but Ben 10, King Kong vs Godzilla and TMNT lines are all priced between $8.99-$10.00 at Walmart and Target. I know because I have been buying those in the hopes that Playmates would once again have the Star Trek license. I would think that considering Paramounts hope of drawing a young consumer base to the franchise ie children they might be trying to stay competitive on pricing. I wonder if Paramount would let Playmates double-dip and give us a line of The Orville toys too?

#60 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 10:32 AM

That Enterprise isnt particularly impressive looking, DSTs is definitely better.

I really hope we get some different ships from them, Im sure theyre starting with the original, then probably the D, but theres so many other ships to choose from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users