S'Task's Content

There have been 12 items by S'Task (Search limited from 28-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#53193 New DST Q & A with Chuck (06/29/10)

Posted by S'Task on 29 June 2010 - 02:34 PM in AA / DST

Click here to give it a read.

Bit disappointing that the future of the Chapel/Rand wake and the Salt Vampire was not touched on :/

And I also find it dumbfounding that people are still clamoring for Voyager/DS9 stuff. I';d rather finish stuff that's already out than start crews, with a danger of never being able to complete them (the fact that I personally think Voyager was the worst Trek show of all does give me some bias) But it's mostly the fact that at this point, expecting another full crew to be produced isn't likely.. or realistic.

#53187 TOS Wave 5

Posted by S'Task on 28 June 2010 - 10:40 PM in AA / DST

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jun 27 2010, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok... I just have to say I find it very cruel that DST is releasing these with a card back showing Chapel & Rand on it.

Very cruel sad.gif

Perhaps it is their way of saying "don't lose faith"? They've said time and again that they'll be watching how this wave sells..

Wow. I'm actually optimistic now... definitely no Vulcan logic here biggrin.gif

I am rather glad I pre-ordered a full set from Rick now. Not so much because I wanted all three (because really... I just wanted the Romulan) but rather because it's my tiny way to contribute to further waves possibly.... hopefully being made.

I remain optimistic.. but am not getting my hopes up either :/

#53186 TOS Wave 5

Posted by S'Task on 28 June 2010 - 10:34 PM in AA / DST

I am VERY glad (and I know customizers will be too) that the Romulan has both hand types smile.gif DST could've done it cheaply and just offered the gloved hands...

Then again... looks like our friend will not have a disruptor. Oh well :/

#53176 Jolan Tru!

Posted by S'Task on 27 June 2010 - 10:19 PM in New Cadets, report here.

Thank you all for the welcome!

Yes even you, Klingon *raises eyebrow* lol wink.gif

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jun 23 2010, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the board!! S'Task was a male Vulcan who lived during the Time of Awakening. He appeared in :

TOS novel: The Romulan Way
TOS novel: Spock's World
TOS novel: Vulcan's Soul: Exiles
TOS novel: Vulcan's Soul: Epiphany

You are correct, sir!! Goes a bit further though, as -especially in Romulan Way- S'Task is portrayed as a contemporary and friend to Surak, and the leader of the first group of Vulcans they chose to relocate (and would later evolve into Romulans) A sort of Romulan Surak

#53104 Jolan Tru!

Posted by S'Task on 21 June 2010 - 11:01 PM in New Cadets, report here.

Hello, fellows!

Joined a few months back, but overlooked posting here. I mostly collect TOS AA/DST stuff, but have been a fan of (most) things Trek for over 15 years.

Desperately hoping the Romulan doesn't get cancelled.. my Playmates BoP is lonely :/ Would have loved to have either of the TOS Commanders... but we get what we can.

I'm also quite into the Classic Who line right now.

While I came upon the site when the line was on its last legs, it is still quite nice to meet some fellow collectors. Thank you for being welcoming! Look forward to talking some more.

P.S. If anyone can place the reference for my username, they get extra points xD

#53103 Command Chair Pike... Is he that

Posted by S'Task on 21 June 2010 - 10:45 PM in AA / DST

While we're on this subject, just noticed New Force sold out of Mirror, Mirror ISS Enterprises.. Amazon still has some in stock from Diamond at a decent price, suppose it's time to stop putting it off.

With Pike, as with a few before him, I think it's more a question of there not being enough of him to go around than of him really being that sought after... meaning it may take some patience if you want to stick to eBay, but I've never seen him go for a high price, which is good news wink.gif

#53085 Command Chair Pike... Is he that

Posted by S'Task on 21 June 2010 - 01:21 PM in AA / DST

That happened to me when I finally decided to get the Tribbleations figures... Sisko was beginning to become very scarce (much less scarce than Bashir -lucked out with that one- but still harder to find than O'Brien and Jadzia)

What made it worse was that I had to order him twice... the first one I bought had a very bad paintjob on the goatee.

Moral of the story? Get em while they're cheap :/ Though I know from experience sometimes it takes a year or two for a figure to grow on you.. especially when nothing new is being released..

#53068 What would be your ideal Star Trek toy line?

Posted by S'Task on 20 June 2010 - 11:49 AM in Everything else.

I may get some boos, but I must say I do not have faith in Hasbro. Yes, SW is a monster line that does not show any signs of dying (which is good for the fans, I suppose) and has even taken some very bold moves, like doing even bigger scale vehicles like that Millenium Falcon. The SW line also has a very nice mix of non-canon or expanded universe characters, film characters, and very VERY obscure characters.

I was, however, a big collector of three other lines Hasbro put out recently, the 25th Anniversary G.I. Joes, the Indiana Jones line, and the 6" Marvel Legends. ALL of them are deader than dead now. Joes had distribution problems from the start (And got bitten by the repaint bug in the end), they oversaturated the market with Crystal Skull and Raiders Indy figures (and most of us lost out on later characters like Short Round, Mola Ram and Henry Jones... leaving multiple Indiana variants to warm the pegs and clearance bins); and Marvel Legends not only took a dive in QC, (not to mention scale issues, delays, cancellations and distribution problems, as well) it was just... let go. The 3 3/4" Marvel line has proven not every collector is willing to jump on the bandwagon and just re-buy everyone... and I'd say Marvel has much more market appeal to the casual collector (especially kids) than Trek.

I think Hasbro has proven time and again that it has no qualms about dropping a line completely once they feel it's not making a big enough profit.

I think a large chunk of the toy industry lost a lot of steam.. which I truly do hope improves next year. Who knows? If the Trek sequel does well -and with PROPER marketing and DECENT figures.. I'm talking to you, Playmates- it may just be the shot in the arm the franchise needs to pick up again.

Then again.... hard to tell as of now.. but it seems unlikely :/

#53058 New Doctor Who toys

Posted by S'Task on 19 June 2010 - 12:47 PM in Everything else.

For anyone in the States interested in pre-ordering the 11 Doctors set from Entertainment Earth, here is the link:

Click here!

Finally, an Ainley Master! While I do wish he had his later all black costume, the sculpt is so nice this will do.

Must say these pictures never do the figures justice.. I remember ordering the First and Second Doctors from last year's exclusives and thinking they looked.. just ok, nothing special. When I received them in the mail I was completely blown away, especially by the Second one! Very very nice indeed!

Now if they would only make a classic era TARDIS console...

Still, in an age of dying or dead toylines, I am very glad to see the DW line -especially the Classics one- thriving smile.gif

#53056 TOS Bridge paper model Playmates scale

Posted by S'Task on 19 June 2010 - 12:28 PM in Custom ships

ohmy.gif They even added the means to make the station chairs!! I'll definitely be trying this out now! Thanks for posting!

#50731 Brand new DST Q&A!! Stardate 11003.08

Posted by S'Task on 08 March 2010 - 07:26 PM in AA / DST

Today, AA has a new Trek Q&A up!

Among the blips that I found interesting (even hopeful!) are the following:

DSTChuck: [...] hopefully we can get to releasing all the ones your looking forward to (when asked about Romulan Kirk, Chapel and Rand.)

DSTChuck: Right now the Trek traditional action figure line is on hold. We are working on a few things that might allow us to get most if not all the ones we’ve listed into collector hands but we’ll have to see…Salt Vampire is in trouble again and is in fact on hold as well - SORRY.

DSTChuck: You are correct there is no new development underway for the Trek, BSG and Stargate 7″ lines. We do not want to say they are cancelled because we are working on ideas on how to get what we’ve developed out to fans.

Here's a question I thought was actually quite intelligent:

Shaun Baer

Thank you for your recent answers regarding the 7″ Star Trek and BSG lines. I’m disappointed to hear concretely that they are on hiatus, but it sure beats not knowing what to expect. Aside from saving our pennies in anticipation of your massive and amazing return to Star Trek action figures in 2011 (or 12…I still have hope) is there anything we can do as collectors to help? If this hiatus becomes less than temporary, let me say now a big thank you. I love the Star Trek figures I’ve bought from you over the years and think they’re great. If I have been critical, I hope you know it’s just because I want more of the great product you’ve been providing and I’m disappointed not to see more. I’ll keep checking back in for more info. Thanks.

DSTChuck: No there is nothing really for collectors to do. You folks have been great. Before the latest movie Trek had been off the air and out of circulation for years. Art Asylum had stopped producing for the line but felt there was still a rabid fan base there for product so we were happy to step in. It been and continues to be a true privilege to work on this line. We’re still going with ships and roll-play and we do have some ideas to keep product out there that hopefully work out. If they do and you like the item then please just be sure to let your retailer know that your interested and assure them that Trek fans are still out there, ready for the product.

And concerning the BOP:

Eric Walters

Will the wings on the Klingon Bird of Prey have pivoting abilities ??? The wings need tobe able to pivot in order for the Bird Of Prey to be successful. Will the landing stuts be retractable or removible to depict in flight mode ???

DSTChuck: Yes that is the plan, that the wings will be able to lock in two positions and the landing gear will be able to retract.

While most of this is nothing new (7" on hold for 2010) I am actually quite glad to see they are at least considering releasing the figures already developed. I know at this point it is not very reasonable to have any hopes regarding new figures being designed (and I am quite sure that most of us have their own personal wish list) but I do remain hopeful we will get at least some of the planned figures released. I would at least like one Romulan to grace my display.. my Playmates TOS Bird of Prey looks quite lonely as is.

I am also quite glad the DST crew acknowledge the loyalty of the fans, something I don't feel the bigger toy manufacturers lose any sleep over. Considering how well the Trek lines did in the last years without major ad campaigns, a film, cartoon, or new TV show (Trek XI came out at the very tail-end of it all, in the larger scheme of things) I believe this to be quite an accomplishment. Other toylines that depended on this nostalgia value were mostly a flash in the pan.. off the top of my head I cannot think of any that survived over two years. Being a collector since the early 90's, I think it is safe to say that there has never been a movie toyline (except SW, of course) that has had true staying power past the month before/6 months after release, even for franchise films (LOTR had some staying power, but it died, what? a year after RofK came out? Harry Potter, a huge box office draw, never managed a decent line either) Movie figures are usually a staple of the clearance bin.

I will be happy to buy the rest of the TOS figures, should they ever get produced smile.gif

While not my cup of tea, other points of interest, such as Retro figures and Minimates:

DSTChuck: I don’t see anyway we’ll be ale to do a bridge set for Minimates BUT if the shuttle does well you might see another vehicle.

DSTChuck: (regarding new Retro figures) We do have some ideas for figures beyond the four you saw from Toy Fair but I think we’re going to wait and see how these to do see the fan interest in characters beyond the bridge crew. We’ve had mixed results in this line with the aliens.

It sometimes feels like being a Trek fan is an exercise in heartbreak. Over the years there have been so much things that looked promising canceled (don't get me started on the game "Secret of Vulcan Fury") Here's hoping the efforts of the DST crew to bring us at least a few more figures prove fruitful!

#50725 New Star Trek Edition blog at art asylum's web site

Posted by S'Task on 08 March 2010 - 04:46 PM in AA / DST

I honestly do not want to be argumentative, fellow fans (especially on my first post in the board :-S First time poster, collector for a long time) but these are my reasons for not thinking Hasbro would be a good choice, as some think.

Forget about Star Wars for a second. Granted, it is a monster of a toy line that covers characters that you didn't even know existed... even if you're a fan. Yes, they do have a very healthy mix of canon and non-canon/expanded universe figures, and many ships and playsets. It's easy and tempting to think what a trek line would be among these lines!

However, consider this: Hasbro is the same company that brought you (well.. allegedly. Still looking for most) GI Joe and Indiana Jones. As a collector, I went after both, and was left with much the same situation DST has now: rows after rows of figures I either already have or don't quite want, re-paints or multiples of the same character (while ignoring other characters), store after store that does not have the series you want but does have the same one that's cluttered every store you've been to.. both lines are dead. Nothing new for Indy, a Sgt. Slaughter SDCC exclusive for Joes.. big whoop. I am,of course, not considering the movie line... awful line for an awful film.

And don't get me started on Marvel Legends. I started collecting with Toy Biz, series 1 and watched as Hasbro (to be fair) gave me some great versions of characters I'd always wanted, but also tried to get me to buy movie figures and figures with proportions not in scale. The only reason I have the Ronan the Accuser BAF is because I bought him, assembled, off of eBay. I never even saw that series in any store. I was lucky with the first Wal-Mart exclusive series, but completely missed out on the second one, and the Target exclusives. Then they all but ignored the 6" line to switch across the board to the 3 3/4" scale... ML is pretty much dead.

In my opinion, SW gets the treatment it does because it is a cash cow, period. To think a Trek line would be as massive is unrealistic and, to quote a certain pointy-eared science officer, illogical.

And I for one would hate to see Trek get the same treatment as an Indiana Jones, so that any other toy manufacturer say later, after watching the trajectory: "that license is a dead end"

Just my two cents.