10 replies to this topic

#1 mars396

mars396

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

This is something I have been thinking a lot about lately:

People come to my house, see all my stuff, and say "I've never seen Star Trek"!

I must correct this !

What episode/movie(s) would you show someone to introduce them to Star Trek ?

In other words, 

If you only have ONE episode/movie to convince someone that they should watch Star Trek, what do you show them ?

#2 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

movie first contact / DS9.

#3 mars396

mars396

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

First Contact (movie) has a bit of a backstory to set up, with the Borg and Locutus.

I thought about a Q Who-BoBW-First Contact marathon as an introduction, but the Borg have more of an impact if other adversaries are introduced first.  Imagine how lame the Romulans would seem after being first introduced to the Borg.

And one truly misses the impact of Locutus, if that is one's introduction - Picard being captured and assimilated blew our minds in 1990 because we were so invested in the character at that point.

I have considered DS9 as a way to introduce Trek to the newbees - but which episodes ?

Once again, my argument above prevents me from showing "Emissary" to any noob.  Besides, I wouldn't want to spoil BoBW to a noob.

#4 mars396

mars396

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

#5 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

First Contact (movie) has a bit of a backstory to set up, with the Borg and Locutus.

I thought about a Q Who-BoBW-First Contact marathon as an introduction, but the Borg have more of an impact if other adversaries are introduced first.  Imagine how lame the Romulans would seem after being first introduced to the Borg.

And one truly misses the impact of Locutus, if that is one's introduction - Picard being captured and assimilated blew our minds in 1990 because we were so invested in the character at that point.

I have considered DS9 as a way to introduce Trek to the newbees - but which episodes ?

Once again, my argument above prevents me from showing "Emissary" to any noob.  Besides, I wouldn't want to spoil BoBW to a noob.

season 4 way of the warrior. you get it all. Klingons fighting cardies/ Fed's Fighting Klingons.  multiple alien races and just some dam good writing.

#6 mars396

mars396

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

season 4 way of the warrior. you get it all. Klingons fighting cardies/ Fed's Fighting Klingons.  multiple alien races and just some dam good writing.

exactly

Way of the Warrior is on my short list of candidates

#7 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

The Way Of The Warrior is a great episode for sure, but honestly I have gotten two people hooked on Star Trek, and that was because of Voyager. Voyager was their gateway into the Trek world and now they love it. They have even gone to a few conventions with me

#8 mars396

mars396

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

I have gotten two people hooked on Star Trek, and that was because of Voyager. Voyager was their gateway into the Trek world and now they love it. They have even gone to a few conventions with me

Intriguing!   which episodes did you show them ?

#9 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

Episode Best of both worlds part 1 and 2. Movie TWOK.

#10 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

I have to agree with JMW.... TWOK or BOBW 1+2 ...... My Father despised The Next Generation ( He was a Classic Fan... He was convinced TNG was a cheap rip off of Classic.)....One day me and a friend were watching the cliff hanger of Best of Both Worlds when it originally aired.... We were screaming when Picard came out as Locutus....My Dad came in from outside and said "What the hell is going on in here....Why are the two of you screaming like school girls?!!!"  Anyway .... My father watched the episode ( We taped it.) and the season opener that fall ....and He liked Picard and the bunch from that time on.....Those were great times !!!  And of course, who doesnt like TWOK also !!!

#11 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

NOT the last episode of Enterprise lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users