Photo

Hallmark Star Trek Ornaments Debut This Weekend!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 2thGuy

2thGuy

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hallmark released their 3 Star Trek ornament offerings yesterday, and I fed my obsession, as I have done since 1991!  The USS Kelvin is the ship de jour for this year.  It lights up nicely from 3 internal batteries.  The second ornament is a scene from "Arena" with the Gorn menacing a grounded Kirk with a stone dagger.   A sound clip , presumably from the original series sound track, plays when activated. It is the Gorn speaking, well, Gorn, while dramatic TOS music plays over the top.  The last offering is a continuation of the ongoing TOS character collection, this time with Scotty.  The sculpts are about what we've come to expect from Hallmark.  Not dead-on replications, but definitely serviceable.  I enjoy these products for what they are.  I wound up spending $75 for all three, I'll be picking up more of these on December 26.  

Given the lack of anything Trek for this year in the brick & mortar stores, this was my ONE happy trip to cash register.  Good hunting.  

Peace.  Out.  

#2 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

So you not getting the SDCC and NYCC exclusive Kelvin? lol! It's just a repaint,Kelvin with battle damage. Looks good though,might have to pick a few of them up when I go to both cons,SDCC in July and NYCC in October.

Love the Arena orny btw.

Have fun!

J-R!

#3 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

So you not getting the SDCC and NYCC exclusive Kelvin? lol! It's just a repaint,Kelvin with battle damage. Looks good though,might have to pick a few of them up when I go to both cons,SDCC in July and NYCC in October.

Hahah In July....don't you mean LATER THIS WEEK lol

#4 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

LOL! Yeah,ok. Next weekend,well....Wednesday,if you count Preview Night. I only have tickets for Thursday and Sunday this year,someone messed up so I didn't get my usual weekend pass. Not so with NYCC in October though! Got EVERYthing sorted there already. Weekend pass,hotel and flight from the crap country I live in,lol!

I usually get my orny's on December 26th,since I come over to the US every Christmas as well. I like getting'em all for half price,lol! Of course,some of them are actually sold out by the 26th,but usually not the ones I want. Have three or four series that I collect,and then whatever I feel like....like this years KITT,lol! Love that car!

J-R!

#5 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

Hey Robster, if you're going to NYCC, can we make a deal to pick up an extra of the limited edition Kelvin? 

#6 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

Ooh,I don't know about that,Mr.Wildcard. LOL! Yeah,we'll see. I don't think I'll be picking up any of the Hallmarks at SDCC,for once,as they're easier to get at NYCC and,like I said,I've only got two days this year. At least at NYCC I have the full four days and PLENTY of time to get everything I want.

Can't wait to see the 2014 Sneak Peek at the con though! Be fun to see what Trek,and others,they're bringing out next year. Yep,just when everyone is enjoying THIS years orny's,along comes NEXT year's! LOL! Well,at least to LOOK at.

Have fun!

J-R!

#7 benlurkin

benlurkin

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

The standard Kelvin turned out pretty nice in my opinion, here are a few pics to illustrate:

hm_kelvin02-94511610.jpg?ts=1373762166 hm_kelvin05-18686861.jpg?ts=1373762183

And how could we not compare with the Hot Wheels Kelvin?

hm_kelvin09-23603015.jpg?ts=1373762206

And one more for good measure all four Kelvins together in one shot:

hm_kelvin10-6186414.jpg?ts=1373762211

#8 Bryan

Bryan

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

I got Scotty (I'm collecting that series) but passed on the Kelvin for now.

First off I knew it was going to be around the whole season.

And I had a problem paying $33 for a ship with lights and no sound.

But it is very well detailed. And a good size for the price.

#9 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

benlurkin, it may just be the photography, but your Kelvin looks a heck of a lot "cleaner" than mine, which is covered in heavy weathering...

Arena was sold out everywhere I went so they will be holding one for me in their next shipment.

Also holding for me:

Kermit

Hogwart's Castle

#10 benlurkin

benlurkin

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

Sorry for the delayed response but I'd guess it's my lighting, that is unless you somehow ended up with the rare comic-con exclusive battle damaged version in your local shop.  :D

hw_bd_kelvin-55049078.jpg?ts=1373661810

#11 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

Actually it says on the back of the box that there are only 1,575 of the Battle Damaged ones availible to SDCC and NYCC so i assume they are doing half of them between the two

#12 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Almost. They have 875 for SDCC,175 each day,and 700 for NYCC,175 each day. Luckily NYCC is a lot smaller than SDCC so much more relaxed and so much easier to get all three orny's there. That's why I didn't even bother getting in line at SDCC. Cool Sneak Peek for 2104 though,liking a LOT of the stuff that's coming.

J-R!

#13 benlurkin

benlurkin

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Actually, Whirlygig, I'm now hearing that there are some variations in the wash of the Hallmark Kelvins and some are "cleaner" than others, so that may be the case after all.

#14 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

I took a couple shots of the Kelvin with some of the other hallmark ships, as well as the Hot Wheels Kelvin. I personally think this is hands down the best Kelvin that has been released.

Comparison with last years Enterprise D, the '09 Enterprise, and the Hot Wheels Kelvin, which is slightly larger then the Hallmark one

vqKKuvF.jpg

'09 Enterprise and the Kelvin

z4cf4gA.jpg?1

Top of Hallmark and Hot Wheels Kelvins

73UZStl.jpg

Bottom of Hallmark and Hotwheels Kelvins

6KcXtKt.jpg?1

#15 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

I was able to snag a SDCC Kelvin from BBTS, but I think I got the last one!  I am pumped!

#16 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Wow! Really?! BBTS?! Yeah,vendors do tend to go to the booths who have exclusives and buy a few and sell them at their own booth with a marked up price. Hope you didn't pay TOO much more than the actual price the Hallmark booth was selling it for. It's a really nice orny though.

J-R!

#17 Darth Duranium

Darth Duranium

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Cool pics, cheers Alteran. Does the CGI Kelvin from the film have a registry on the bottom part of the saucer? I wonder...

Yeah Whirly, my Hallmark Kelvin is quite "clean" like Ben's, but that's because I opened all the boxes at the store first. :) Some have a much heavier paint wash.

A friend was nice enough to pick up a SDCC Kelvin for me at the con, so I luckily didn't have to get hosed by big markups this time around. I'll post comparison pics, if Slayer or no one else does before mine arrives. I am stoked!

I paid $80 for the Hallmark Defiant from NYCC '11 and prices are now around $400 so $90 from BBTS ain't so bad, from that standpoint. When you think about it, a $42 admission price plus a $33 ornament makes $90 almost reasonable. Mind you, you don't get to go to the con, but you don't have to spend hours queuing in line with the masses.

#18 Darth Duranium

Darth Duranium

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

By request, here are some comparison shots of the Hallmark Kelvins over Planet Maytag. Many thanks to Reverend Strone for grabbing me the BD one at SDCC for cost. Nice guy!  :)

BTW, the BD Kelvin's blue areas (that light up) are much darker and the deflector is unpainted. The mould is identical.
I'm very happy with it but I think that current eBay prices are way too high. If you can get one for close to original MSRP, I'd totally recommend it but would advise caution otherwise. It would not be hard to repaint your own, really.

#19 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for sharing DD. Any chance we can see an aft view too? 

#20 Darth Duranium

Darth Duranium

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

No worries, Wildcard.

Here are some aft views, as requested. Enjoy! Cool, I never noticed the red strip below the hangar bay before.  :)

Are you think about repainting your own?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users