DC Universe

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#21 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

Yeah, if you are wanting a classic Robin look Skeltor, I would recommend the DC Direct Batman & Robin Silver Age 2 pack wink.gif For me, this is one of the best classic Robin's out there. It would be nice to see a DCSH classic Titan wave (80's team) or The Outsiders , we already have one member of the original Outsiders, we just need the rest biggrin.gif

#22 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:20 AM

Thanks for that pic Donster, I loved all the figures in that series.

QUOTE(skeletor @ Jan 7 2008, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really like that Mattel Joker. When did it come out?

The Joker in my pic must have been one of the earlier releases of the line.

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Jan 11 2008, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
correct. That is how he came back after the 1 year later series. I think it is one of the better Robin looks.

Agreed.

I think the Robin looks really cool!

#23 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:36 AM

Anyone who lives in Michigan or Ohio or know what a Meijer store is they have them now as well. They had the entire set except for the variant Red Tornado.. if that is still coming out. I had no money to buy any of them. Why do I torture myself by looking when I am broke sad.gif .

#24 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:37 AM

Those upcoming figures at http://www.dcuc.info/ look really nice. I'd like to get my hands on that Deathstroke variant. I hope it's not too hard-to-find.

Having passed on the Jim Lee/Hush Nightwing, it'll be nice to have a modern Nightwing in my collection (apart from the highly stylized Ed McGuinness version).

#25 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the pic smile.gif

I just did a search on them...they came out in 2005 I think??

I can't belive all the cool stuff that has came out over the years, and I never knew about them. lol

#26 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

I actualy have that Robin figure from the DCD two pack if anyone needs it. I may be persueded to work out a trade. biggrin.gif

#27 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:19 PM

I picked up most of DC Universe Wave 1 today. I got a few at ToysRUs and a few more at Target. I still need Red Tornado, so I don't have Metamorpho yet.

These figures are great. I can't see myself buying too many more DC Direct figures if Mattel keeps this line coming.

#28 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:56 PM

agreed... These are much better IMO.

#29 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:53 AM

Some of the new DCD figures are pretty sweet. The Wonder Woman set and Infinate Crisis figures look really good. What they lack in articulation they make up for in size/sculpt. What bothers me about the direction of DCD now is all the artist themed versions of figures. It seems like every set has Batman and or Superman in it. DCD originally started to produce BOTH the top superheroes but more importantly the lesser guys like booster gold and blue beetle. All the rereleases have really turned me off espcially considering the price of the DCD figures. I found a comic shop herethat routinely drops the DCD stuff to 50% after a few months and then I pick up individual pieces.

#30 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

I don't mind the artist-themed releases. I've got most of the Ed McGuinness figures and quite a few of the Alex Ross figures. My most-anticipated figure of the year is the DCD Alex Ross Justice Batgirl figure.

In fact, I might really be limiting my DCD purchases to artist-themed release. Why would I buy a generic figure from DCD when I'm likely to get a much better Mattel version (like with Deathstroke!)?

I wish I'd seen the Wave 3 photos a month ago, right before I bought the DCD figure of Robin in his new costume. It's a nice figure, but, at $16, I'd rather have waited and got one even better for $10 from Mattel.

#31 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:40 AM

Im thinking that batgirl is going to be in very short supply. It really is amazing! I liked the artist releases from the top people like lee and kubert. Some ofthe turner stuff looked wrong and the batman long halloween stuff i didnt like at all. DC Direct started as a way to get all the DC Heroes an action figure and they have since moved away from that philosophy. I guess you have to reivent yourself to stay current in todays marketplace.

#32 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:20 PM

I realy like the Alex Ross figures. I think I am probably going to be limiting my DCD collecting to Just Alex Ross especialy since they are starting a JSA Alex Ross series. The rest are a little off in scale so it is hard to put together one display with many characters. It is more like a bunch of little displays with a few characters. That is why I am going with the DCU figures for the big display.

That Batgirl figure is one of the most amazing figures I have ever seen from DCD. I will be adding her to my collection.

#33 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Jan 13 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im thinking that batgirl is going to be in very short supply. It really is amazing! I liked the artist releases from the top people like lee and kubert. Some ofthe turner stuff looked wrong and the batman long halloween stuff i didnt like at all. DC Direct started as a way to get all the DC Heroes an action figure and they have since moved away from that philosophy. I guess you have to reivent yourself to stay current in todays marketplace.

Yeah, you're probably right. The "hot-pants" Supergirl from that wave will sell well, also. I don't quite get it, but I know that there's a segment of the fanbase that really likes that outfit.

I've loved that version of Batgirl since I first saw the poster a few years back.

Turner's stuff is so suspect anatomically that it's not surprising when it looks awful in 3-D. I was surprised how little I liked figures based on Lee's work. They weren't awful; they just did nothing for me, and weren't worth DCD prices. I'm glad I passed on his Nightwing, because the Mattel version looks much better, to my eye. Those Long Halloween figures just didn't work for me, at all. I even passed on Robin, and it takes a lot for me to skip adding a distinct Robin figure to my collection.

Some of the highly-stylized artists (Ed McGuinness, Alex Ross) translate very well and some others (Turner, Tim Sale) don't. Obviously, the more "vanilla" styles (Perez, Kubert, Lee) work well.

#34 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Jan 13 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...The rest are a little off in scale so it is hard to put together one display with many characters.

I know it seems trivial to some people, but the scale issue really turned me off of DCD, after being an avid collector for many years. For example, one of my favorite DCD figures of the last years was the Ed McGuinness Hawkman. It's an extraordinary figure, but he's much taller than the other heroes in that line. DCD's heard the complaints for years, but they've taken no action. Mattel's figures might be slightly less than the heights of DCD, but they're committed to, and capable of sustaining, a consistent scale, and that means a lot to this collector.

It's interesting that the smaller companies (DCD, AA/DST) have such a problem with scale, but the larger ones (Hasbro, Mattel) handle it much better. I don't know if that's greater resources, more experience, or more pull with the factories, but, with some small exceptions, it seems to be consistent.

#35 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(Sgt. Stinky @ Jan 11 2008, 04:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone who lives in Michigan or Ohio or know what a Meijer store is they have them now as well. They had the entire set except for the variant Red Tornado.. if that is still coming out. I had no money to buy any of them. Why do I torture myself by looking when I am broke sad.gif .

SS, a friend of mine said that the variants are being released in the next few months. So I wouldn't worry about being broke and looking for him now wink.gif Save yourself some grief and pick up the other figures at the moment or when you can. I'll keep an eye out for the variant for you and the regular one for Pickard smile.gif

QUOTE(pickard @ Jan 13 2008, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know it seems trivial to some people, but the scale issue really turned me off of DCD, after being an avid collector for many years. For example, one of my favorite DCD figures of the last years was the Ed McGuinness Hawkman. It's an extraordinary figure, but he's much taller than the other heroes in that line. DCD's heard the complaints for years, but they've taken no action. Mattel's figures might be slightly less than the heights of DCD, but they're committed to, and capable of sustaining, a consistent scale, and that means a lot to this collector.

It's interesting that the smaller companies (DCD, AA/DST) have such a problem with scale, but the larger ones (Hasbro, Mattel) handle it much better. I don't know if that's greater resources, more experience, or more pull with the factories, but, with some small exceptions, it seems to be consistent.

Yeah, I know what you are saying Pickard about the scale issues, not to mention the fudged up paint applications. You can't me expect to pay that much for lousy paint applications. Clearly the big toys companies can make this happen, why can't the smaller companies? I'm down to collecting the Ross JLA, DC Minimates and the occassional Elseworld or out of the ordinary figure. Althought I have been tempted by the new Wonder Woman line, that wave looks pretty good and I like the superspy Diana Prince. While I'm not a big fan of artist inspired lines, some of the new one's have been executed better than the earlier one's. One has to wonder if the artist inspired lines are because of the Mattel line or not? I see me clearly running out of room before Mattel ends it's DC Universe reign tongue.gif

#36 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(pickard @ Jan 13 2008, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Batgirl, IMO, always looks better in black and yellow!!!

#37 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Jan 13 2008, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been tempted by the new Wonder Woman line, that wave looks pretty good and I like the superspy Diana Prince. While I'm not a big fan of artist inspired lines, some of the new one's have been executed better than the earlier one's.

That whole line was well-executed.

I've almost bought that Diana Prince figure a few times, but I'm holding out hope that it warms the pegs until I can get it on clearance.

I did get the Donna Troy as Wonder Woman figure from that line.

#38 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:42 PM

There's a new wonder woman line?

can someone direct me to where I can find out more about this?
lol where i'm from they're not carrying any of this stuff sad.gif

#39 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:49 PM

Yep a very nice Wonder woman Line from DCD. Scroll down to the botom of this link for pics

#40 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

wow thanks very much for the link. Nice stuff smile.gif
When I was a wee boy I used to think Wonder woman was Supermans girlfriend laugh.gif

I'm guessing only comic book stores carry these?

Ah...all the stuff to collect... rolleyes.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users