• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#1 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

As we are less than one month away, I think now would be a good time to begin a discussion thread about the series itself.

After 12 years of absence, Star Trek is returning to our TV screens. A new cast, a new adventure.

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY.

Let the discussion commence!!

#2 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

I'm just happy to have Star Trek back on TV where it started. I'll definitely be watching as much of the premiere as CBS will show. Time will tell if I end up subscribing to All Access or getting a VPN so I can watch it on Netflix from the United States.

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

honestly... the VPN route has additional benefits these days anyway.... so if your already paying for Netflix and that works... then thats what I'd do.

#4 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

It's going the route of popular shows today, a continuing story rather than stand alone episodes. I prefer stand alone episodes rather than a serialized story because you can drop in anywhere and enjoy an episode. So many things I don't like about this series, it's hard to think of any aspect that I'm okay with......

#5 2thGuy

2thGuy

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

While I'm happy that Trek is back on TV, I'm wondering why Trek is, again, moving backwards in the timeline.  The last three Trek adventures: Enterprise, the JJ-Universe movies, and now Discovery are set in known timelines.  Why not go to the Next, Next, Next, Next, Next generation where the past is an ancient memory, where the future and the stories can go where no Trek has gone before??!!!  Are the writers bereft of imagination and ideas?  Why limit yourself with vestiges of the past where you're saddled with all of the previous Trek canon?  I'll pony up the latinum for this first year, but I'll need to be wowed to buy in for season 2.  Live long and prosper.  

#6 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:01 PM

Stand-alone stories are fine until you consider that every time the crew beams down to a different planet it needs to be created from scratch.

From a business standpoint, it's much more cost effective to have the story take place within a smaller context than the unexplored universe. There's a reason so many tales from TOS took place in the American Old West or Nazi Germany or simply on board the NCC-1701; they had immediate access to those sets and that wardrobe on the lot. And the uniforms were simple because they needed to be, not because Wardrobe was incapable of coming up with something better.

It's all about stretching that budget until spending more money can be justified.

As for the last three Trek adventures being set in known timelines, I'd argue they aren't known at all. Enterprise covered an era of Trek lore that wasn't explored previously on screen. The Kelvin Universe is an alternate timeline where anything goes. Discovery takes place 10 years prior to TOS but all we've seen of that era is one event, "The Cage." I'm sure there's plenty more to probe.

The problem with going too far forward is that it risks becoming unrelatable. I'd be fine with a TV series set aboard the Enterprise-E with a new cast and some cameos from the 1701-D crew. That's not likely to happen because the film studio still wants control over what happens going forward, leaving the TV division to create their own niche somewhere in space and time.

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:34 AM

All Access has a ton of behind the scenes/promo clips on all kinds of things for Discovery. 

Been watching these... everything from the music, to the props is being given thought... the sets are absolutely massive...  and the clips of the finished product looks fantastic.

#8 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:16 AM

I'm avoiding spoilers so I'll save those promos for after the first episode. I love behind-the-scenes stuff though so it's tough on the willpower! 

#9 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

I'm super excited about role play stuff after seeing the detail and thought they put into things like Phasers and Tri-Corders.. etc.

I want it all!

#10 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

Looking forward to the QMx stuff and of course the Eaglemoss starships.

Plus I think a few action figures from McFarlane Toys.

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

Don't forget about the McFarlane Role play... and I 'd love to see a Discover Tric and a Bat'lth!

#12 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

If QMx announces a Discovery phaser before Mcfarlane releases theirs, I’ll just wait for the QMx one. I love their Kelvin phasers, and can’t wait for the Beyond one.

I don’t really care about electronics in them since they sit in a curio cabinet.

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:45 PM

The Kelvin Phaser didn't grab me... not sure why. Regardless the QMx piece is nice. I got one... but its one of the few role play props I'd give up... maybe its the whole "flip for kill" concept?! oh well... If QMx makes an offering I'll get both!

#14 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

I got the one from the first movie because it came with Into Darkness Amazon exclusive.

I like the subtle changes they mad to it in Beyond, and I feel like I’d miss it by not buying it.

#15 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:19 PM

Looks like the talk show thing that will follow Discovery is up on All Access, it is called After Trek.

#16 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

Spoiler

#17 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

Looks like the talk show thing that will follow Discovery is up on All Access, it is called After Trek.

I wonder how far down the list "Star Dreck" was.

#18 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

At least they aren't copying AMC and calling it Talking Trek. 

#19 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:56 PM

Looks like just a place holder... sounds like they will elicit some live feedback after the pilot?

#20 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

Talking dead and Talking Saul both use twitter and online polls for stuff, so it wouldn't surprise me if After Trek did the same. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users