• Please log in to reply
3700 replies to this topic

#1 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:01 AM

Click on the banner above to go to the site.
Every issue comes with a 5-inch "highly detailed" starship model! (I reserve judgement on the "highly detailed" claim until I see more...)

They claim that CBS gave them access to extensive reference material for the ships. I can confirm, via my eyeballs, that the Enterprise-D is moulded from the "These Are The Voyages" CGI model built on a tight schedule by Gabriel Koerner. I'm not a fan of that model (it's disproportionate, the deflector is squinty, and it's missing a few details), but the mini-ship looks very nicely finished! The Romulan Warbird is also definitely derived from the CGI model built for the Dominion war.

I have a suspicion, which some of you may be able to confirm or deny, that a lot of these ships are re-packaged Furuta, Konami, or Johnny Lightning (or others) toys. In particular, the Borg Cube, offered as a subscriber incentive (along with a dedication plaque, a binder for the magazines, and a model of the AGT Enterprise-D (for which they fairly obviously reuse DST's old demo model photos from 2009 - the bridge is glowing, fer cryin' out loud!) looks very familiar.

First issue is

#2 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

Looks pretty good to me. I'd consider subscribing if it wasn't available in the UK only.

#3 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

Sorry guys, I posted that in a rush, and completely buggered up the pictures. I'll re-code it and edit.

EDIT:

Done. Screencapped and uploaded.

EDIT:

Ah crap. 8of5 had already done that better!

#4 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hey Destructor!!!

Thanks so much for pointing this out. I've just subscribed - it looks amazing.

I'll let you all know what they're like when they start turning up.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#5 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

No problem, Matty-lad.

What was the subscription fee, btw?

#6 Darth Duranium

Darth Duranium

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Jun 1 2012, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a suspicion, which some of you may be able to confirm or deny, that a lot of these ships are re-packaged Furuta, Konami, or Johnny Lightning (or others) toys. In particular, the Borg Cube, offered as a subscriber incentive (along with a dedication plaque, a binder for the magazines, and a model of the AGT Enterprise-D (for which they fairly obviously reuse DST's old demo model photos from 2009 - the bridge is glowing, fer cryin' out loud!) looks very familiar.

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting on this forum but I thought I'd finally pop in.

Glad to say that I must deny your suspicions, Destructor. They are completely new toolings of those ships and not previously released by anyone. I'm a serious ship collector so you can trust me on this.
Apart from the crappy stands, I'm extremely stoked about this line too (Akira!!!), but it kills me that they're gonna be hard to get if Diamond don't distribute them here in N. America, like they did the SW DeAgostini partworks. I pray they do. You guys in the UK are lucky, very jealous.
Looking forward to a review.

#7 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

Welcome, Darth! Thanks for the expert eye! Even that Borg cube? I could have sworn I saw that on e-bay or somewhere as a Japanese ship model. That and the "Worth

#8 Darth Duranium

Darth Duranium

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the welcome! Yep, I've got loads of ships, happy to assist. Agreed, it's a red bulb in the Furuta and white/yellow lights in the Playmates and Hallmark cubes. Dunno why green lights were so elusive until now. wink.gif
The new cube looks good to me (nice detailing) but I'm not so sure about the 20 quid claim. I do want one, though. The Star Wars partwork had a very nice exclusive Death Star for subscribers in Europe, if that's any indicator.

I'm gagging for an Akira(!!!), Defiant, Enterprise C, Dominion capital ships... and those are just out of the ones we know about! So many excellent possibilities...
Kiss the blarney, good luck with Eaglemoss, and please let me know if they'll ship to you in Ireland. I ain't too proud to beg for my Canadian brethren! smile.gif

#9 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Jun 5 2012, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No problem, Matty-lad.

What was the subscription fee, btw?

Hey,

No fee. They just charge you the price of the magazines and you get the free gifts. Will let you all know what they're like once they start arriving.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#10 hcmv007

hcmv007

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

Looks cool; hope we get something like this in the US soon

#11 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

I spoke to them over the phone, and they said no problem to deliver in the Republic of Ireland. So I signed up... I'm wondering what they're going to charge me in euro now. Import taxes and all.

I'm sure if you guys start e-mailing them your interest, they may look for a distribution partner in North America.

QUOTE (Darth Duranium)
Kiss the blarney

I'm trying to come up with a Canuck clich

#12 Darth Duranium

Darth Duranium

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Jun 13 2012, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I spoke to them over the phone, and they said no problem to deliver in the Republic of Ireland. So I signed up... I'm wondering what they're going to charge me in euro now. Import taxes and all.
I'm sure if you guys start e-mailing them your interest, they may look for a distribution partner in North America.

Good on ya, and thanks for the info. I might try ringng them to see if I can get my relatives to accept delivery in the UK, now that you've paved the way, cheers. Hope you don't have a hard time with customs/euros and I hope you'll post some pics for us disadvantaged and backward types outside of the UK and Ireland.

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Jun 13 2012, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm trying to come up with a Canuck clich

#13 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (Darth Duranium @ Jun 15 2012, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good on ya, and thanks for the info. I might try ringng them to see if I can get my relatives to accept delivery in the UK, now that you've paved the way, cheers. Hope you don't have a hard time with customs/euros and I hope you'll post some pics for us disadvantaged and backward types outside of the UK and Ireland.

Best of luck, and you can bet your arse I'll post pics.

QUOTE (Darth Duranium @ Jun 15 2012, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, well played, sir. But I'm half Irish so I always feel justified aboot doling out the cringeworthily cheesy Stage Irish. Begorrah and top of the mornin', eh?
Hehe, most of the "real" Irish expressions that I grew up with would get me banned from the forum immediately. smile.gif

biggrin.gif

#14 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

So, has anyone received their magazine and ship by post yet?

According to Memory Alpha, the first issue was released in May(!).

#15 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Jun 21 2012, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, has anyone received their magazine and ship by post yet?

According to Memory Alpha, the first issue was released in May(!).

Hey,

Not received anything yet. As soon as I do, I'll let you all know.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#16 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

I just noticed that I got a refund on something on my account. Something about "Payment to Qtr May" or something...

It doesn't say Eaglemoss or anything on it, but I can't think of anything else it could be.

I'll have to call them during busy-ness hours tomorrow.

EDIT: Well, much ado about nothing. The transactions weren't theirs.

They say that they are waiting for the stock to fill the order list, and that I should recieve the magazine by the end of the month, probably by the end of the week.

EDIT: Which I've just noticed, is the same thing.

#17 Darth Duranium

Darth Duranium

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Jun 25 2012, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just noticed that I got a refund on something on my account. Something about "Payment to Qtr May" or something...

It doesn't say Eaglemoss or anything on it, but I can't think of anything else it could be.

I'll have to call them during busy-ness hours tomorrow.

EDIT: Well, much ado about nothing. The transactions weren't theirs.

They say that they are waiting for the stock to fill the order list, and that I should recieve the magazine by the end of the month, probably by the end of the week.

EDIT: Which I've just noticed, is the same thing.

You had me worried then, Destructor. I thought the line was going down before it even got off the ground! Glad that all is well.

I see that the KBoP is issue #3 and the (now non-white) NX-01 is #4. I've got loads of silver NX-01s so another white one like the Eaglemoss proto and the Johnny Lightning WL might've been nice. Still, looks pretty good, very similar to the Hot Wheels one.

#18 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

I am confused... you have issue - four? I haven't recieved one yet!

#19 Darth Duranium

Darth Duranium

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Jun 28 2012, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am confused... you have issue - four? I haven't received one yet!

Nope, I ain't got any of 'em yet; those are pics from eBay auctions.
I did buy the first one but it hasn't arrived: I thought I'd better check out an issue before I committed to more. Or had myself committed. *fidgeting with straitjacket* ;)
It's possible that the Romulan Warbird is issue #4 as advertised on the EM website but it seems that the NX has preceded it, dunno for certain. But I haven't seen a Warbird yet, anyway.

#20 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

I wonder how the heck the auctioneer got it?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users