The "Bulid a Borg Alcove" Wave!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic

#41 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:55 AM

Oh man Chalksie, you've created a monster creating monsters! laugh.gif Nice Borg army thehsbr!

#42 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:22 AM

Apparently you get an alcove with 7of9 and the drone and the middle bit with the queen. you buy all three if you want two alcoves and the connecting bit.

#43 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:22 AM

Apparently you get an alcove with 7of9 and the drone and the middle bit with the queen. you buy all three if you want two alcoves and the connecting bit.

#44 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:07 PM

Thats what I originally thought it would be when I saw the display. With electronics/lights inside each alcove it might be difficult to split them up. Not impossible but probably more expensive. I am so hoping that this is how they release them because i will buy multiple copies of seven and the male drone but i have no desire for more than one queen.

#45 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

Ooooooo That would be nice!

Where did you get the 411 New Frontier?!

That would also make Borg Drones sell rather quickly I would think!!!

#46 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:41 PM

Here's a link to BBTS preorder and I think he's basing it off of that Goth? It looks like a Borg version of 7 of 9 to the left of the queen.

#47 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:19 PM

Hmmm... well.. ok, that's not how I read the BBTS Product description, It just looked like there were Two Alcoves and the Borg Queen is standing between them.

That's allot of plastic for $19.99 on the drones and 7 of 9. I guess I can't see what (if any) connection piece would come with the Queen?

#48 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

I rang Forbidden Planet International, they said the pieces would ship as a whole - 7 of 9 would come with her Alcove, the drone with his and the Queen with the connecting segment between the two alcoves.

there also pictured on the website as coming with the pieces i described - only time will tell i would guess.

#49 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:13 AM

Well that is good news!

I probably will only get 1 set then as I don't need more alcoves then that!

Also, if true, I think that's a great value for 7 and the Drone in todays market!

#50 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Feb 25 2008, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I probably will only get 1 set then as I don't need more alcoves then that!

Gotta have more than one alcove Gothneo! biggrin.gif

I'd like three, three is a good number. I'll grab an extra male drone.

They should look quite magnificent set up.

#51 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:36 PM

I thought we had pretty much figured out that 7 and the drone both come with an Alcove and the Queen comes with a connecting bit?

So, if you buy the set, you should get exactly what's in the Toyfair pict? At least I thought NewFrontier confirmed by calling...

So I'll end up with two at the least!

#52 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:50 PM

Unless the Queen's connector piece wasn't shown at Toyfair, I don't know where anyone came up with that idea. The way the picture looks to me, there is only one connection line and the ends of one alcove match the ends of the other.

#53 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:26 PM

Perhaps the Borg Queen will have the lights and lighted parts, including the green discs... Then you have to buy whole sets!
Actually, if that were the case, why not sell them in a three pack instead?

#54 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:29 AM

Well, it was my "Instinct" that assumed the alcove would be more of a Build-a-Alcove... that and the way the description read plus the cost of plastic keeps going up.

But as people have pointed out there doesn't seem to be any separated bits in the pictures.

I was making another assumption that in order for the wave to "Cost Out" the Borg Queen's "Connector" bit is probably little more then some plastic connector that snaps into the back of the two alcoves... something you could probably do without if you really wanted to.

Soooo. At this point I don't know what to make of it. I really do hope that we get two alcoves and whatever "connector" bit that the New Frontier spoke of, but I'm prepared for DST to figure out a way to break up the Alcove into three parts.

Sometimes the product shown at Toy Fair isn't 100% done, we may have to wait until we see some packaging for them!

#55 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:24 AM

It would be cheaper to have it so one would have to buy all three figures to build one alcove but I think it may actually limit their sales. If you do have to buy all three you can guarentee that I will only be buying three. However if each comes with its own alcove then the sky will truly be the limit for me. Im thinking that DST can make more money by having each "army builder" figure come with its own alcove for that reason.

#56 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Mar 30 2008, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, it was my "Instinct" that assumed the alcove would be more of a Build-a-Alcove

Gothneo, my post wasn't a stab at you. I think it was stated by one of the European websites that there is a connector piece coming with the queen. This is from the Figures.com article from Toyfair:

On display at the Dimaond Select Toys showroom was the incredibly detailed "Borg Wave", which will feature three figures that each include pieces of a Borg Assimilation Alcove. The Borg chamber will feature light effects, and each figure will retail at $19.99.

The wave will include The Borg Queen, Seven of Nine (as a borg), and a Borg Drone.

So we are told it is build-AN-alcove, and that the Queen does indeed come with pieces of said alcove. I just don't see it being a connector piece. Maybe the base could be the connector piece??

#57 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

I dont think there is conclusive evidence either way on how its going to be released. Things change so much thats its hard to go by what is pictured and written about at Toyfair. Maybe this is a good Diamond Mine question?

#58 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

I believe the "connector" piece that the Queen comes with is like a base that connects the bottoms of the alcove and doesnt necassarily include a back piece. Just a floor piece.

#59 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:22 AM

SlayerOne76: I never took any offense to your post laugh.gif It's all good and I was just trying to make sure that everyone knows it's only my opinion I'm sharing! I don't have anymore info than most of you! That and I like to keep the speculative conversation going ohmy.gif

JMW326: What your describing sounds very very reasonable. It would spread the cost of the plastic out, and still require that you buy all three figures in order to build the complete Alcove.

That would mean that the individual alcoves probably wouldn't be able to "Stand Alone". in other words, you really have to build them in Twosies.

It would also put a premium on the "Queen" for Army builders, as you might be able to build the set with two Drones and Queen instead of the basic three. Which may be rather interesting!

Regardless, I'm still rather excited about the wave!

#60 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:49 AM

Well if NYCC is any indication it looks like it will take all three figs to build one alcove. To me the build-a-whatever is a pretty cool concept that forces people to buy more of something they may not neccessarily want. However, Im not sure it fits with Star Trek because a lot of Star Trek fans already buy everything! Seeing these three Borg, Im not sure if many people would buy just one as opposed to the complete set. Hopefully in the future we will get an opportunity to get more alcoves. If it wasnt for that darn queen I would still be tempted to buy multiples and customize them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users