Destructor!!!'s Content

There have been 32 items by Destructor!!! (Search limited from 20-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#98115 EXO-6 launch new Star Trek action figure range with First Contact Data

Posted by Destructor!!! on 16 December 2023 - 04:01 PM in Everything else.

Can they do ships?

I would spend everything I have.

#98102 3d printed Heads

Posted by Destructor!!! on 28 November 2023 - 07:55 AM in Custom figures

Here's another one though they're... weird about how they're integrating some of these figures. Paul Stamets as a 21st century member of the French armed forces?! Kirk and Archer as anatomical puzzle games?! Very very weird.

#98100 3d printed Heads

Posted by Destructor!!! on 22 November 2023 - 05:22 PM in Custom figures

There's this guy...

#98092 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 07 November 2023 - 09:03 PM in Playmates

Some good size comparisons in Look At My Star Trek Toys!' new video.

#98066 1/350 Die Cast TOS Enterprise Crowd Funding

Posted by Destructor!!! on 16 October 2023 - 09:39 AM in Everything else.

I agree the backlash is a bit much, and I hope it doesn't sour them on doing more ships.

#98063 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 15 October 2023 - 06:56 AM in Playmates

The D disassembled for light blocking.

Nice one Alteran! A couple more things baffle me now:
 - there's no pressing need for the deflector to be so deformed. I thought maybe the internals of the stardrive forced it to be misshapen.

- Why did they put so few window holes in the saucer? There's acres of empty space in there, they could have punched out a number of other windows to really boost the effect of the windows.

How difficult was it to disassemble Alteran? The '90s one was glued and snapped up the wing-wang, it was a blood-curdling experience to take it apart.

A couple of YT reviews are up:

#98054 1/350 Die Cast TOS Enterprise Crowd Funding

Posted by Destructor!!! on 06 October 2023 - 04:20 PM in Everything else.

I've been hearing a lot of backlash about seam placement and screw covers. They had promised they'd do it seamlessly, but they released a statement recently saying that was unachievable at the price... but the choices of where to put the seams and how to conceal the screws are... not great after a promise like that.

Still looks amazing, and I love the touch-panel functionality, but it stings.

#98053 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 06 October 2023 - 05:28 AM in Playmates

And the phaser array is found by the Veridian IV natives in a couple of centuries, leading to a hybridisation of them and the phaser array, leading to the techno-tentacle monsters from the future or whatever at the end of season 1 of Picard!

Well done Bgiles! You've rescued season 1 from the crap pile!

#98051 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 05 October 2023 - 06:50 PM in Playmates

Thank you for the complement, and yeah, I'm oddly kind of tempted to get one just for that purpose. It's like 90% of the way to a good model. I need to get the Defiant out of drydock, not to mention the Cerritos.

So I take it there's no separate power supply in the saucer? I'm surprised there's even lighting in it to be honest. As for the lighting in general, there's some pretty '90s thinking on display here - why did they only use white LEDs?! Put blue ones in the nacelles for crying out loud!

Hilarious how you express your feelings about this toy through the medium of saucer separation! THWACK!

#98043 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 05 October 2023 - 09:26 AM in Playmates

Oh sorry man! I hadn't checked the rest of the forum.

I think I had the last page in the thread open.

#98041 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 05 October 2023 - 09:04 AM in Playmates

Bad old Facebook has the goods once again:

User Steve Habisch on Facebook has posted a bunch of photos of his own ship:

Overview

yfu0gOr.jpg
jGq7N4n.jpg
IgkUrDG.jpg
1h1QFLz.jpg
eab2XAy.jpg

It looks just as bad as I feared, and just as good as I hoped in some areas.
The deflector is bizarre. It's like they conceptualised it upside-down. To my surprise, there is a very faintly molded torpedo tube in the neck, but without the long indent stretching back along the sides of the neck. The empty slot where the main impulse engine should be persists. And the lack of ventral phaser array on the saucer is bloody egregious.

That said, the overall shape is good. It feels less like a pudgy toddler than the 1993 one, but still evokes that toy a lot. The nacelles are maybe a bit long, but I'm not sure. I like the level of detail on the sculpted lines and greeblies throughout, though here and there they get stuff a little wrong or things are missing. It's a solid attempt, it just needed a few more QA passes on the sculpt. Paramount should have caught a lot of the issues I mentioned above in their approval reviews.

The buttons are quite unobtrusive in that location and I like that they moved away from the rounded ones on the prototype. These stand out far less. We'll have to wait for video reviews to find out what the sounds and light effects are like.

The paint app is spotty. I think the upper saucer looks great - I particularly like the alternating "lit/unlit" windows. That sprinkling of bright and dark windows is such a hallmark of the Galaxy Class. The colour choice on the phaser strip is weird and the lifeboats shouldn't be yellow, but somehow it works. The lower saucer is unacceptable. No paint whatsoever! Combined with the missing phaser strip, it gives the impression of an unassembled kit part.

The back of the neck suffers similarly, a combo of no paint and the missing impulse engine. The secondary hull has a different approach to windows - the dark ones are paint apps and the "lit" ones are moulded... but there are alignment issues, and where the paint machine was occluded (I assume) by the cobrahead, there are no dark windows around the deflector.

Size Comparisons

q8pHfnz.jpg

It's smaller than the preview photo with the hand in frame indicated. It looks around the same size as the 1993 version compared to the DST model here.

N0ihIId.jpg

The recent TOS Enterprise released is a good bit longer than it.

Lighting & Saucer Separation

KIgoXJS.jpg

The deflector does light up.

oQw0zVE.jpg

The nacelle lighting looks nice and even, and I think they have a second LED for the Bussard Collectors.

As feared, the cobra-head of the Secondary Hull is flat and blank. I don't get the impression that the Saucer has any play features.

Another thing - this is supposed to be the series-run Enterprise-D and to evoke the 1992/3 release of the same ship. So... why does it have the Generations-onward trapezoid-backed insignia as a stand!?

SO many head-scratchers!

I kind of want to get this and design and print plant-on parts for the missing phaser strip and impulse engine - and a replacement deflector piece, ugh!

I have rehosted all the photos I have found so far [url=https://imgur.com/a/HfHBUPy] in an Imgur album. There are a good few more there than I have posted here.

#98040 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 05 October 2023 - 08:14 AM in Playmates

I found two people on Reddit, who got new PM Enterprise-Ds starting 10 days ago. One from South Texas bought it in Target 8 days ago. Unfortunately, the only photo they have posted is this one:

072is0zjpbqb1.jpeg?width=4032&format=pjp

EDIT: Target listing

#98038 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 04 October 2023 - 08:56 PM in Playmates

Super lazy from the communicator review I just saw......even has a TNG sound clip on it. Wtf

Can you link to that?

#98024 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 29 September 2023 - 08:07 AM in Playmates

The image on the front is exactly the same illustration from the front of the 1993 box. It has details (like the torpedo launcher) that are missing from this sculpt.

1993 box for comparison:

playmates---star-trek-the-next-generatio

#98020 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 28 September 2023 - 06:07 PM in Playmates

Im pretty sure those are the exact same call outs from the original version in 1993.  I love me the Enterprise-d but this is a hard pass for me which is heartbreaking as i was hoping for a new starship this christmas.  

playmates---star-trek-the-next-generatio

Yeah, well spotted. The US version probably didn't have all the translations, but the English language callouts match.

Unless the ship and the box are like half the size of the old one.

The prototype image with the hand reaching for the buttons indicates this is a pretty big model. The TOS E was also quite large, a nose bigger than the DST version if I'm not mistaken.

#98016 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 26 September 2023 - 06:13 PM in Playmates

We have box images!

81D8pLirVBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81TnPjImLbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81-GcZx8YwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

LOL at the tag saying "Linear Phaser Array" pointing at nothing.

It looks like I may have been wrong about the wonky deflector being a photoshop snafu. And while the play buttons are rectangular on the prototype inside the box versus round on the one from the previous photos, you can see that the one in the box has no main impulse engine either.

Gods, this is such a swing and a miss for me. People on Twitter seem to like it though.

EDIT:

Oh, forgot to say, I got those images from the Amazon listing, where it's up for pre-order.

EDIT EDIT: Aaaaaaand, it's out of stock.

#98014 Star Trek: The OTHER Animated Series announced

Posted by Destructor!!! on 15 September 2023 - 05:52 PM in SciFi news.

As I understand it, this wasn't the usual "poor ratings" reason for cancelling it. There's some tax reason for writing it off during the SAG-AFTRA strikes, I don't quite understand it, but they basically felt they could pay less tax (and, of course, wages) if they took it off their streaming service and pretended it never existed.

#98013 Star Trek: Lower Decks

Posted by Destructor!!! on 15 September 2023 - 05:49 PM in SciFi news.

Hear, hear! Moopsie please!

Also the Niven ring was awesome.

#98003 Canadian Packaging

Posted by Destructor!!! on 19 August 2023 - 11:39 AM in Galoob

Ah, so how different were these from the US editions? Was the background image the same or was it totally different?

#97997 Canadian Packaging

Posted by Destructor!!! on 12 August 2023 - 04:53 PM in Galoob

Those look really familiar - are you sure they didn't ship to Europe too? I live in Ireland.

#97991 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 08 August 2023 - 02:48 PM in Playmates

Another update with some more angles. It looks like this prototype is only partially painted, as the phaser array on the upper saucer is present and painted an incorrect brownish red colour.

Once again, a baffling combination of great and poor sculpt details. Really weird. As the guys point out in the video there, the windows that are accessible to the paint tooling are painted on, but the ones that are not are sculpted... a weird combo.

The main impulse engine on the secondary hull is missing, but it looks like there's a slot and tab there for it to slot into. No indication of a light or wiring channel though, so I wouldn't expect it to light up.

Now, the elephant in the room - that saucer-separation feature. This may be the ugliest implementation I've ever seen. The secondary hull head has no detail and is the wrong shape, but the saucer is what really suffers. Those pegs break the sillhouette badly. Nobody is going to display this separated with them sticking out, and kids playing with it will snap them day-one...

Images via Toy News International:

00-TNG-Enterprise__scaled_800.jpg

TNG-Enterprise%202__scaled_800.jpg

TNG-Enterprise%203__scaled_800.jpg

That shot with the hand makes this thing look MASSIVE, bigger than the huge DST-D. Man, those buttons are chunky. They were an eyesore on the TOS ship and they are here too. Also the secondary hull rim shows evidence of mould shortcomings and totally lacks the lateral sensor strips.

Ok, positives: There's a ton more sculpt detail and shape accuracy on the neck and aft torpedo launcher raceway than on the '93 release. The indistinct details on the underside of the nacelle pylon fantail from the earlier image are clearer here, and again the sculpt detail is good. I see transporter emitters and phaser arrays present and correct.

If PM can clean up the deflector, find the inserts for the lower saucer phaser array and the main impulse engine, and massively overhaul the paint app, this could be a handsome (if slightly "chonk") rendition of the Big D. I don't think there's any fixing that separation feature at this point though...

#97984 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 04 August 2023 - 09:37 AM in Playmates

The article literally says it's going to be an Enterprise. It won't be the C, E, F, or B. It likely won't be the G, so it'll probably be the TOS, TMP, D, or Kelvin. Of those, the only ones they could really set a new standard for are the D and the JJprise.

#97976 Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Posted by Destructor!!! on 03 August 2023 - 04:47 PM in SciFi news.

Yeah, "Under The Cloak Of War" was an incredibly bitter pill after "Those Old Scientists", which I out-and-out loved. I unreservedly love Lower Decks warts and all, and I reservedly enjoy SNW, so for SNW to get injected with a bit of LDS pep in its step was wonderful, but it was a really well written episode too. Boimler having the impact he did on Chapel was very intelligent, and he and Mariner having the perspective to recontextualise Pike's priorities was nice. I didn't like the "You could just not-look" scene - too silly even for LDS.

"Under The Cloak Of War" was, by comparison, a dreary, tone-deaf mess. The flashbacks were cheaply acheived (a flat set with some props and a virtual environment on the holodeck wall) and poorly developed. They evoked DS9's ground-war episodes without any of the immersion or sense of mission or urgency. The denoument of the episode was quick, brutal, and insanely out of character for the show and the people involved. I now hate two characters I quite liked.

#97975 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 03 August 2023 - 04:37 PM in Playmates

Y'know, thinking about it, a Cerritos would totally lend itself to this "detail-free" paint style.

#97971 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by Destructor!!! on 02 August 2023 - 11:19 AM in Playmates

The villain ship from a 1982 film (even a classic) is probably quite a hard sell to retailers, who by-and-large are filthy, disgusting casuals.

But a Cerritos, that Protostar they're probably not going to make now, a Discovery I wouldn't buy, or even a SNW Enterprise would be the obvious money makers. "Sell the thing from the currently active property!" they can say to the drooling, nose-picking retailers.

That said, I do wish DST would take their finger out of their arses and get their Reliant out the door. Given the style and finish of the new PM ships line, I doubt there are any ships I'd really want from them.