• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:38 PM

I'd be well up for NECA to take on Star Trek but the chances of that happening are slim unless DST don't carry on with Star Trek Beyond the Borg Select and Reliant.

My take on Mattel having a licence is that they've actually never not had a licence to do Star Trek. They own hot wheels and Mega Bloks who've both put out Star Trek product in the past few years so it's very likely that Mattel are carrying on with Mega Bloks and Hot Wheels.

If they do take on Star Trek action figures and play sets then awesome! They've got the resources to hit a world wide market and It's about time a big toy company puts out a proper toy line but I'd be surprised if they did unless CBS are planning more than just Star Trek: Discovery in the next few years or if CBS have agreed with Paramount to include their new Star Trek movies in any deal they have with Mattel.

There's also the idea of having Fisherprice do Star Trek toys for tots which is brilliant!

All in all, having Mattel do Star Trek toys would be great news for fans and for the business of a billion dollar franchise that needs a bit of a kick in the pants when it comes to reaching out to a broad age range.

Though I must say I think the reality is perhaps a little less all encompassing and more about Mega Bloks or Hot Wheels or both continuing their involvement with Star Trek product for im assuming Discovery.

#62 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

I miss Star Trek Minimates.

Since this year is the 30th anniversary of TNG, I was hoping beyond hope that DST might try offering that crew instead of the fourth incarnation of TOS characters like they showed last year that retailers yawned at. We got nothing.

Hopefully Discovery reignites interest.

#63 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

The feeling I get from the small number of toy companies I've spoken to on social media is that Star Trek is a property they'd love to take on but it really depends on how and when CBS/Paramount take Star Trek forward.

I think the overall opinion is that Paramount and CBS don't do enough to maintain and expand upon the Star Trek brand and that in turn makes it hard for toy companies to be convinced Into making product.

#64 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:27 PM

This old link confirms that the powers that be don't always stand behind Star Trek:

https://www.google.c...-star-trek/amp/

#65 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

I mean it puts more weight being the argument for JJ Abrams and his team wanting to make the best Star Trek possible and the studio failing to capitalise on Star Trek's popularity properly using the creative talents that want to make Trek products.

I mean all of these problems with Star Trek merchandise stem from the problems with cbs and Paramount getting along and the internal turmoil Paramount finds itself in. Trek has been badly managed by the studios for decades, the reason it continues is down to the creative talents of the people involved in creating it from Berman to Coto to Abrams. But hey that's just studios for you.

Maybe the chance will come for Star Trek to be owned by one studio only which is the wish.

#66 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

One can only hope. The creative divisions is similar to how the MARVEL license has been carved up between Disney, Sony, Fox etc. I would love to see X-Men, Fantastic 4 and some of the various other characters frolicking in the same Disney playground as The Avengers and The Guardians of the Galaxy. The Prime Universe and the JJ-Verse gotta meet up at some point. I wouldn't mind if somehow Future Guy the one behind the Temporal Cold Wars Identity were revealed and it turned out to be none other than William Shatner!

#67 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:15 PM

Oh how I miss having the Activision of the early part of last decade behind Star Trek games! Bridge Commander II is something I still wish would see the light of day on multiple platforms, right up there with Bridge Commander III, IV, V, and VI! Actually, everyone here should remember the Activision lawsuit, because it's the reason why "Enterprise" magically gained the words "Star Trek" in its title. At the time, one of the things Activision listed among the reasons it was suing Viacom was the failure to include "Star Trek" in the branding for, you know, Star Trek. Viacom made the change early on in an attempt to head off a lawsuit that they were losing specifically because of how they were managing ENT. A lot of fans were actually supporting Activision at the time in the hope that it would convince Berman and Braga to stop ruining the series and produce a show that fans wanted to watch instead of running from the "Trek" brand in the hope of finding a new audience that didn't exist and was never going to buy into it for the long–term.

#68 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

While I'd love new Trek games, I'd be happy with them re-releasing the older ones with updates to make them stable on modern computers. 

Like what GoG did with some of the older Star Wars games. 

I wish I could play Armada 1 again, but even in compatibility mode it constantly crashes or has audio issues. 

Armada 2 and the Elite Force games work fine, but Armada 1 is probably my favorite Trek game from when I was younger. 

I HAD Bridge Commander, but I made the mistake of "borrowing" it to a former co-worker and I never got it back. I spent so much time playing it both online and offline, getting involved with the old clan community. Such a great game. 

#69 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

I think that without a doubt, my dream video game (that'll never happen ever) would be a Star Trek RPG incorporating elements from Mass Effect (third or first person walking around), and Elite: Dangerous (ship and shuttle control).

I really hope Excalibur can at the very least, allow us to fly around and control the ships in some way that doesn't equate to combat 100% of the time. I'd love to be able to go on rescue missions where a freighter is falling into a planet's atmosphere, requiring you to choose risking your own ship to tractor them out, or taking a shuttle over to evacuate the crew, that kind of thing. Think 'Star Trek Starship Simulator 2017'. lol :)

#70 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

They do have this coming soon that looks like it will be cool:

http://kotaku.com/ou...game-1781913922

#71 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:41 AM

Reboot stuff isn't for me, TOS is cool but it's TNG+ that I'm after. If there's ever a DLC/sequel campaign added that covers that era, then it's definitely something I'd be very keen to play.

#72 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

Reboot stuff isn't for me, TOS is cool but it's TNG+ that I'm after. If there's ever a DLC/sequel campaign added that covers that era, then it's definitely something I'd be very keen to play.

They delayed it, and are adding the TOS bridge. 

http://www.ign.com/a...original-bridge

I'd love to play this game, but don't own VR nor do I have $800 for a Vive. 

I also don't have other people to play with. 

#73 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

The VR game looks great but yeah it's way too expensive.

I'd love a Star Trek game Made by rockstar games and to be as expansive and as emmersive as their GTA and Red Dead Redemption games (minus the prostitutes and graphic violence). Like you're a Lt. Commander (Rainsford?) and can go on missions (stories) but also just roam the galaxy in ships, shuttles etc... would be cool and massive!

#74 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

Alteran195 - I'd probably be looking for other game participants here at trektoy. I know friends of mine that play Call of Duty on PS4 and Xbox and I see my own kids play Minecraft on Xbox Live. Gaming has become really a social thing. Minecraft has an episodic type game that is cool. I could see something like this expanding what can be done with this Star Trek VR game. I also wouldn't mind at all if somebody did a Star Trek Fleet game where the ships were like Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Nintendo Amibo or Lego Dimensions. Interactive Starships would be really cool.

#75 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:04 PM

What items by DST made it out for the big anniversary last year?

#76 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:27 AM

What items by DST made it out for the big anniversary last year?

Nothing by DST actually made it for the actual anniversary. They released the Khan select that didn't show up until the beginning of this year and the Romulan BoP. I don't think they really planned for it.

#77 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:38 AM

"We're making the Romulan Bird of Prey for the anniversary! But we're not releasing it during the anniversary."

#78 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:27 PM

Abysmal show from DST over the 50th.

#79 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

I suspect that the Reliant, should we see it, will be the last we'll see of the SS Legends. I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom, but I have a feeling.

#80 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

I suspect that the Reliant, should we see it, will be the last we'll see of the SS Legends. I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom, but I have a feeling.

I kind of feel the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users