Photo

What's your favorite 4.5" Playmates figure?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 billytrek

billytrek

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (Kyle_C_Haight @ Nov 7 2009, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was a kid, I really wanted sixth season Counselor Troi for some reason. Now that I'm older, I realize the head sculpt isn't that great. Otherwise, Lt. Barclay is a very good figure, as is Data in DS9/Voyager uniform. The Picard in DS9 uniform would be a better figure if they had given him the Sisko body instead of the Bashir one.

That Sisko figure was my all time favorite figure!!! Oh, man, I used to use him instead of Picard as my captain. Those are the kind of PM figures I miss!!!

#22 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

Hmmmmm.

Not sure I can choose 1! biggrin.gif

Borg Queen would be near the top
Sarek
Lwaxana
All the Holodeck figures
Any Klingons
Any Ferengi
Balok's puppet
Species 8472
Relics Scotty - one of my first figures & still one of my faves

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Oct 31 2009, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I loved Playmate's Seaquest DSV line as well. There's a line of figures that DST should go after in 7"!

It was a fantastic line. Thought it annoyed me that much like TNG series 1, Playmates left out the ships Doctor. We were very lucky with Trek, Seaquest was not soo lucky & we never saw Dr. Westphalen (though I am having a custom made up shortly).

QUOTE (Kyle_C_Haight @ Nov 8 2009, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was a kid, I really wanted sixth season Counselor Troi for some reason. Now that I'm older, I realize the head sculpt isn't that great.

I thought that figure was amazing when I was young. I found it scary how much she resembled Troi! Not that it is the best likeness I guess, but when compared to maroon/lavender Troi...It was pretty damn awesome.

The head wasn't painted as nicely on further figures featuring the sculpt (Generations/Insurrection).

#23 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Nov 12 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was a fantastic line. Thought it annoyed me that much like TNG series 1, Playmates left out the ships Doctor. We were very lucky with Trek, Seaquest was not soo lucky & we never saw Dr. Westphalen (though I am having a custom made up shortly).

Which is one of the reasons I wish DST would do some figures for this line. These would be great in the 7" scale. I also wouldn't mind seeing DST do a model of the Seaquest submarine also! I was never able to find the one that Playmates did. I wonder if it was ever produced?

#24 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Nov 12 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which is one of the reasons I wish DST would do some figures for this line. These would be great in the 7" scale. I also wouldn't mind seeing DST do a model of the Seaquest submarine also! I was never able to find the one that Playmates did. I wonder if it was ever produced?

They were going to produce it but it got canned at the last minute..... But you never know.... One may show up on Ebay... Some guy about a month ago had the 15" electronic 1701-D from Galoob up !!!! Im not joking.... an electronic Enterprise D from GALOOB ! I remember New Eye Catalog and Entertainment Tonight soliciting the toy but it never made it to the shelves.

#25 pawpal

pawpal

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Oct 31 2009, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I loved Playmate's Seaquest DSV line as well. There's a line of figures that DST should go after in 7"!

I died a little inside when Playmates canceled the electronic Seaquest and both action figure sized subs.

Now that I think about it, Playmates broke my heart plenty of times back then! Canceled Trek, Seaquest, Skeleton Warriors, etc. The list goes on... tongue.gif

#26 Kyle_C_Haight

Kyle_C_Haight

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:24 PM

I love the seaQuest DSV figures...and the show. Just watched the pilot episode again after having not seen the show for over a year.

I've got a nearly complete collection of the figures, short of Captain Bridger and Darwin...which always seem to go for higher prices on eBay. The Lucas figure is just plain weird...why would he be wearing a denim jacket over a wetsuit...a wetsuit that he never wore on the show?

I've read over at New Cape Quest, however, that figures of Dr. Westphalen, Ortiz, Lt. Krieg, Admiral Noyce, and Milos Tezlov (William Shatner) were in the cards before the line was canceled. Then again, a lot of seaQuest merchandise was canceled by the end of the first season.

#27 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

I'm going to get in trouble for the OT...but...

QUOTE (Kyle_C_Haight @ Nov 17 2009, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then again, a lot of seaQuest merchandise was canceled by the end of the first season.

The change in the shows filming location really killed it after season 1.
Wasn't happy about Stephanie Beacham leaving....I don't think anyone was.
So I stopped watching.

And as mentioned above the death of Skeleton Warriors was aweful. But I believe that was to do with parental groups saying the concept was too dark for children. I still have a few to hunt down:

The series lead heroine Talyn had to be booted out of the first assortment due to her outfit showing too much flesh, we saw both the original version & the re-do, none of which ever made it into our collections due to the cancellation:

#28 Kyle_C_Haight

Kyle_C_Haight

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Nov 17 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wasn't happy about Stephanie Beacham leaving....I don't think anyone was.

Roy Scheider definitely wasn't...but, then again, he wasn't happy with season 2 at all, and he left after that.

#29 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:16 AM

I really liked what Playmates did with the DS9 and Voyager series. They got the main crew (in their main uniforms) out there in the first waves and then built on those. it's a pity they changed the style between the two series (the colours and uniform styles are different) but I still loved that we had a complete crew. That's all I wanted from DST. I wouldn't mind if PM had another go at Trek but I would want them to continue with the 4.5 line instead of going with a new scale. And, I want main crews in their main uniforms from TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT!! smile.gif

#30 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:13 PM

Right? What a great concept...a complete crew/cast...brilliant!

#31 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

LOL, something DST hasn't quite mastered yet...

#32 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (BadBunnyMike @ Dec 17 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL, something DST hasn't quite mastered yet...

I think AA/DST totally had their release plan wrong! Instead of releasing 3 Riker variants (including S7) and 5 Worf (including S7) in TNG Wave 1 and then 5 Picards and 2 Trois in the 2nd wave (and that doesn't include the Riker/Troi 2-pack and bagged S3 Troi), they could've easily gotten the main crew out there in the first one or two waves. They began to get their act together with the TWOK releases but, with DS9, they dropped the ball again by not releasing Quark (and they cheated with Kira...she should've been in her Bajoran uniform)!

By the time PM got to DS9 and VOY, they knew what they were doing. TOS figures came in a complete set, we had several TNG sets at the time and they got the main DS9 and VOY characters out in the first waves. That's exactly how AA/DST should've done it from the start with ENT!!

#33 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (Mason @ Dec 16 2009, 04:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really liked what Playmates did with the DS9 and Voyager series. They got the main crew (in their main uniforms) out there in the first waves and then built on those. it's a pity they changed the style between the two series (the colours and uniform styles are different) but I still loved that we had a complete crew. That's all I wanted from DST. I wouldn't mind if PM had another go at Trek but I would want them to continue with the 4.5 line instead of going with a new scale. And, I want main crews in their main uniforms from TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT!! smile.gif

I wouldn't mind a 4.5" line again. So long as there were no v-crotches! Ball jointed shoulders, elbows and knees would be a must! Either a combination hinge/swivel joint for the hip (Similar to DST's Battlestar Galactica,Mattel's DC Universe and Avatar figures) or a ball-joint for the hip. The hands and feet should be articulated too. A swivel joint would be fine for the hands and the feet would be done best with a ball-joint as well. If they really wanted to make an impression though it would be cool if the wrist was also ball-jointed to allow for TNG characters to hold their phaser more ergonomically correct!

When I first heard that Playmates was in consideration to get the line it was my first hope that they would have went for the old 4.5" height. In retrospect, seeing how those playsets really didn't ammount to much, it seems to me they missed an opportunity to have a real hit! All they managed to do was alienate collectors of their old line, and apparently not pull enough kids over to make the endeavor profitable. The whole idea to do a 6" line and a 3 3/4" line in tandem just really seems to me to have been a bad idea from the get go. They should have concentrated on one scale and completing the crew in that scale. As it stands now, it looks like unless I do some customs I wont have duty uniform McCoy and Checkov for 3 3/4" and for the 6" line even if I dabbled in custom figures, a duty uniform Uhura isn't in the cards. I really hated those Academy uniforms by the way!

#34 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (Mason @ Dec 17 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They began to get their act together with the TWOK releases but, with DS9, they dropped the ball again by not releasing Quark (and they cheated with Kira...she should've been in her Bajoran uniform)!

No kidding! I thought the way they released the TWOK figures was great! They tested the market with enough figures in wave 1 that if it tanked die-hard collectors would still feel satisfied BUT they left enough characters in wave 2 to ensure it would go. Can you believe Kirk and Spock weren't in the same wave? Crazy. wink.gif The remaining crew being a SDCC exclusive seemed to work as well. I have them and I didn't go to SDCC. I don't know how sales were overseas, though.

But see? One year...one complete crew, all new (no head swaps) with many unique characters...Terrell, Saavik and Khan in addition to the complete main crew. Plus a handful of variants. We could have easily had that with VOY and DS9. I agree completely that there were too many unnecessary TNG variants which delayed the full crew release.

The Enterprise release didn't bother me, except for the "Away Team" outfits. If Phlox, Sato and Trip had been in uniform (which Trip was later as an exclusive) that would have been better, but I have a complete crew plus four well done aliens. The AA TOS waves worked for me as well. It's more than I can say for DS9 or VOY. sad.gif

#35 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

I really loved all of the Playmates figures (well, maybe not that Intendant Kira figure

#36 andorian_fan

andorian_fan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:01 PM

In terms of quality sculpting, I think that I'd either have to choose the Doctor from Voyager or Scotty from the TNG ep 'Relics'

Honorable mention to the Gorn Captain and Quark.

#37 spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

Hard to pick a favorite since most of them are my favorites. Here are my top five:

1. Gorn
2. Locutus
3. Hunter of Tosk
4. Borg
5. Mirror Mirror Spock

#38 Skot

Skot

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

right now, Gorn and Wrath of Khan's Saavik(sp?) are on my desk...current faves.

#39 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:00 AM

Yeah, I agree. The Gorn captain and Wrath of Khan Saavik are my favorites, as well. She's the only 4.5" figure in the red movie uniform with a correct uniform! The Generations Kirk, Scotty and Chekov (and the Tapestry-Picard) weren't really accurate (and pretty inarticulate).

And boy, I would have loved to have the NX-Enterprise crew plus Shran and Silik in the 4.5" style. Oh well, they're on my customs-to-be-made-list.

#40 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Daysleeper @ Aug 23 2011, 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I agree. The Gorn captain and Wrath of Khan Saavik are my favorites, as well. She's the only 4.5" figure in the red movie uniform with a correct uniform! The Generations Kirk, Scotty and Chekov (and the Tapestry-Picard) weren't really accurate (and pretty inarticulate).

And boy, I would have loved to have the NX-Enterprise crew plus Shran and Silik in the 4.5" style. Oh well, they're on my customs-to-be-made-list.

Saavik is a great figure !! I also liked the Dathon figure ( Like how the knife went into the scabbard on his chest) You do great customs Daysleeper ...You should talk with artistix or HSBR ...They are our resident figure people. Would love to see some NX Enterprise playmates style figures !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users