Photo

Resizing Heads to the AA/DST Scale

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Poll: Resizing Heads to the AA/DST Scale (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you interested in purchasing customs heads at the prices and conditions listed below?

1. Yes (15 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Custom Ships and Playsets

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

Professional Wrestling's Dusty Rhodes makes a pretty good donor body for a Tellarite Ambassador. He's maybe a LITTLE tall, but there might be another version of this character or another wrestler using a generic "fat body" that might be a little shorter. I ordered a second, different Dusty off of ebay, and I'll let you know if he's a better fit when I get him. You guys might also check out Captain Lou and there are probably a few other short, fat wrestlers...

Regarding Tiberius's earlier comment re. a "piece of the action", here's how I feel about it... These sets when they go out are yours to do with as you wish. Feel free to keep them for yourself them or make customs to sell, I just ask that you not re-cast them and instead go through me if you want additional copies of the re-sized heads we made with this project. Additional heads will be made available to the "TrekToy 10" (I'm including Iron Cow and FHC as I assume they're the two who voted yes but didn't purchase sets in March) at around 5.00 each, same as before (actually a little cheaper).

I have no plans to sell additional heads on ebay or anywhere else. When it comes to selling these, I would much rather we all make good quality, finished customs in order to buy supplies, donor bodies, and new figures and thus feed the habit. That's my take on it. What are your collective thoughts?

#82 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

Well, I'm of the opinion, that they are your molds FV, so you can sell what you like with them! I agree, and will be happy to point people your way to get purchases, i.e. I'm not intending to re-cast any. I guess if your going to put up more for sale, I wouldn't mind if you offered them to the initial backers 1st.

I thought $7.50 a head was great price, so you'll get no complaints from me if you want to charge to give a discount to your backers, but seems like new entries should pay the $7.50 ea like we did. I'd rather see that extra cash go to get you more supplies for more molds...

I know there were more discussions for VOY and DS9 sets, and I think you've already started some of those! Hopefully this project will get more interested in those for you too! and I would sign up for a VOY set in an instant!

#83 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

Good Morning! Here's a quick picture of the Arcturian alien (wearing my favorite uniform from Star Trek: The Motion Picture) and the re-sized Ilia head w/female TMP uniform top. Also a pic of the partially painted Saurian, who's shaping up to be pretty nice!

#84 Pauln6

Pauln6

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Fat Valentino @ Jun 14 2012, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good Morning! Here's a quick picture of the Arcturian alien (wearing my favorite uniform from Star Trek: The Motion Picture) and the re-sized Ilia head w/female TMP uniform top. Also a pic of the partially painted Saurian, who's shaping up to be pretty nice!

Cool!

#85 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

Okay, another couple quick things before work...

First, the second Dusty Rhodes I got doesn't work. DO NOT ORDER the one with the Red, White and Blue boots. He's too bulky, too tall, and his arms won't accommodate the three fingered hands. I tried to make it work, and it was a terrific waste of time. The one with the white and yellow cowboy boots is the one you want.

Second, Ilia looks great. DC Direct and lady wrestlers seem to be a good, slightly less expensive source of shapely legs.

Finally, still casting and putting together everyone's sets. I have one or two more molds to make (Uhura, Blalok) can ship a few sets out in a couple days. I'll probably ship out Tiberius's set first as a "thank you" for various loans and Voyager dolls etc...This will happen soon. Thanks for you're patience, everyone. Very close!

#86 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

Wow. Sounds like more good news! Glad to hear! Looking forward to finally finishing my TOS core crew!

#87 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Any news on when and whats shipping FV?

#88 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

7/14 Updates & Housekeeping...

Today I am finishing the sculpt for Balok's Puppet, the last piece of the original offering. I'm mostly just smoothing out the wrinkles and folds on the robe and maybe applying a little texture. After that, I only need to make a mold on it and by my tally, the re-sizing project is complete.

Or is it?

The casting of everyone's copies is underway, and I can't imagine it'll take long to finish casting these last few. As I mentioned before, I'll send the first complete set to Tiberius for his loans, after that everyone's will ship out together when all the orders are finished. I'll probably send you all emails confirming your address and order: Please let me know ASAP if you've changed addresses. I'm making the copies based on your original requests and substitutions.

I made TMP Rand and TMP Chapel as a bonus and substitute. Everyone who bought the "Movies" set gets them. I'll not be including the Megarite or Betelguisian Ambassador aliens because of problems with the molds, but you can make your own headpiece for the Betelguisian Ambassador if you like. I'm not going to sub these, but you can order either one or both if you didn't get the "Movies" set...

Also, you've probably seen that I've been making some finished customs to sell and show off, and I can help you guys out with questions as you start to use these heads and torsos. Very excited to see what you do with them. One ebay buyer who picked up a few is loaning me THE REST OF THE NEEDED VOYAGER HEADS in exchange for a deep discount on a custom AA TOS Chapel and Rand. This means the Voyager set will move forward next, so start thinking about the line-up and start picking up your bodies.

As far as firm dates go, I'd say Tiberius set will probably ship out on Monday or Tuesday, and the rest of the sets will probably ship by the end of July.

#89 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Here are a few finished customs, to give you an example of the quality you can expect with these custom heads. So far the response has been pretty strong.

#90 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

Nice
I was just coming in to ask about progress, and here it is. Thanks for the work involved in this project, and thanks to the other participants that made it work out. I have one more request. Do you have a photo of the current sets, just what we are going to be getting. I would like them laid out to remind us of what we are getting and what donors are going to be needed.
In the words of reboot Scotty, I Like It!

#91 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the timely update! I'm excited to do some fun customs!

#92 Pauln6

Pauln6

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Wow I have to say your Janice likeness is pretty good! Well done!

#93 ARuloff

ARuloff

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

I would be very interested in your Voyager set. I hope you will ship internationally as well.

#94 Pauln6

Pauln6

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

It's the end of July! Gimmme gimme gimme! tongue.gif

#95 Pauln6

Pauln6

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

http://s849.photobuc...reheadrand1.jpg

I got my Thatsmyface Rand heads - I really like them but Doh! Despite ordering 7" heads for the 7" figures, the scale is slightly out. I'm going to go back to see if I can order a 6" head to see if it's a better fit. It's an expensive mistake to make but I'm a novice. The heads feel a little fragile in that the substance used to build them is very grainy and you are worried about handling them too much - you can see the way they absorb the light compared to the DST Uhura head and the way they look like the original photos when photographed.

I think I'd prefer to touch them up with paint myself, make her eyes a bit sharper and her hair a bit blonder. I love the sculpt, although I will say that the pic of the upscaled Janice head a few posts up is pretty uncanny too. In fact I think perhaps the hair looks better than on my sculpt. I'd still be nervous about the paint job personally. I would hate for her to end up looking like Lily Munster.

I'm going to see if I can get a 6" head made (in for a penny) and then maybe think about Decker, Ilia, and Chapel. I might have to pass on Chapel because I've been unable to find a decent photo that wasn't at an angle. If I'm getting the movie substitute Chapel and Rand heads now, my first step may be to try and make them look presentable...

#96 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

So... another month has gone by.

Any update FV? Did Tiberius Get his set? Last month you thought the sets would be out by the end of July...

#97 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Yes, I sent Tiberus and Commodore KorTar's sets out last week. All the molds were done a couple weeks ago but I've held off on sending things because I was able to borrow all the remaining Voyager 9" Heads, the 9" Anji from Insurection, and the Playmates 9" Trelane (!)...

Here is a picture of a bunch of stuff I'm making using the resized heads, including a WIP 'Motion Picture Rand for comparison to Pauln6's "That's My Face" heads and the re-sized Seven of Nine. Pics of the rest of the re-sized AA/DST Voyager crew to follow...

I hope that Patrick and Wayne will post a quick note or pic when they get their stuff. I included some bonuses in each of their packages, as I will for everyone else. This stuff has been a long time coming, and you've all been very patient.

HERE'S THE PLAN FOR MAILING OUT EVERYONE'S COMPLETED HEADS
Although I took note of everyone's substitutions and so forth, I've found the best way to finish everyone's set has been to look at the subs, look at the original sets, and cast and prepare everything one person at a time. I tried to make a spreadsheet but with all the subs and the way I originally logged all the orders it's just too complicated. So, I plan to complete all the international orders first, mail them out all at once, them complete all the domestic sets and mail them out all at once. This way everyone should be getting their stuff all around the same time, with the two collaborators who bought or loaned originals getting their sets first. I think this is probably the fairest, best way of going about this.

#98 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

Thanks, please, let us know if you need us to resend the info to sort it all out.

#99 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

No, it's fine. Most everything's cast and it's just a matter of picking out the individual heads and casting an extra here or there to finish the set. Just please let me know if you've moved in the past four months or so...

#100 Pauln6

Pauln6

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE (Fat Valentino @ Aug 14 2012, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I sent Tiberus and Commodore KorTar's sets out last week. All the molds were done a couple weeks ago but I've held off on sending things because I was able to borrow all the remaining Voyager 9" Heads, the 9" Anji from Insurection, and the Playmates 9" Trelane (!)...

Here is a picture of a bunch of stuff I'm making using the resized heads, including a WIP 'Motion Picture Rand for comparison to Pauln6's "That's My Face" heads and the re-sized Seven of Nine. Pics of the rest of the re-sized AA/DST Voyager crew to follow...

They look awesome! I'm really jealous of your customisation skill for producing TMP bodies. Thatsmyface have said they'll do me a re-scaled head for the cost of a duplicate, which is kind since it was my cock up I guess. I'll see how I get on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users