• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 2thGuy

2thGuy

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:50 PM

The Hallmark Dream Book for 2016 has arrived!  Check it out!

http://catalogs.hall...ion/?i=296695#{"issue_id":296695,"page":76}

#2 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:32 PM

Hmm, not terribly impressed with the Trek ones. I may pick up the golden Enterprise, but not much else. 

Kind of disappointed with Star Wars as well, the Y-Wing last year was pretty disappointing, so I don't expect much from the X-Wing.

The only things I may be interested in our the Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman set of ornaments.

#3 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:03 PM

The gold Enterprise might be OK.  I haven't looked at the other franchise stuff.

I usually wait for the day or so after Christmas when the ornaments go on sale, to see what they have left.

#4 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:39 PM

For a 50th Anniversary, that Enterprise is pretty boring.  one color and no lights.  The likeness on the trio is awful.

#5 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:49 PM

Yeah,the gold Enterprise is boring. I'm going for the con exclusive repaint instead,which looks as it should be. Available at three cons this year,and two of those cons also have a Maxine repaint,her in some Starfleet uniform. Not read much of Maxine,but I'm aware of the character.

Hallmark NEVER get a likeness right,so I'm guessing they go for an approximation. They do some good Spidey's though,lol!

J-R!

#6 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:57 AM

What's the con exclusive Enterprise?

#7 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:03 PM

Like I mentioned in the post,it's a repaint of the gold one. Normal colors so it looks like the tv version. Looks MUCH nicer. There's a pic of it on trekcore.com,and other Trek sites. Not seen the Maxine orny yet,but it won't be at Comic-Con,only the con in Septmeber in New York and NYCC in October.

And that Death Star tree topper from Hallmark?......WAY too expensive!

J-R!

#8 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:41 AM

And that Death Star tree topper from Hallmark?......WAY too expensive!

J-R!

Gorram awesome though. I really, really want it. Would probably never use it as a tree topper, but I still want it. 

#9 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:50 AM

Oh don't get me wrong,I want one too,just not at that price,lol! I can always hope it'll be part of the half price sale they always have after xmas,I'd defo pay 50 bucks for it,lol! It's usually when I get all my orny's,at the half price sale after xmas. Some do 40% off first and then go to half price.

J-R!

#10 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:30 AM

I'll still be picking up the Trek ornaments as I usually do, but I'm not going to lie, this year's selection is definitely a bit...underwhelming. I echo the sentiments that the gold version looks like it should be the conventions variant, and the standard colors seem like they should be used for the regular release. (Why not do a wide release of the gold and regular colors, and then do metallic red, blue and "command/yellow" gold as convention variants? That would probably satisfy everybody.) Also, while I completely "get" Hallmark's decision to go with a TOS 1701 for the 50th Anniversary, a gold–painted variant of the version of the ship seen in The Cage just seems...uninspired and kind of forced. I actually think I'd be more excited if Hallmark had done a laser–scan of their '91 version of the TOS 1701 and reissued it to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of their Trek line and the 50th Anniversary of Trek. While they'd probably have to replace the connector–cord with a battery compartment to bring the ship in line with modern releases, it would still be more interesting that just having a gold–painted ship from The Cage and being told "sorry, if you want the "regular" one, you have to attend a convention to get it." While the '91 ship isn't entirely screen–accurate, it's still very interesting precisely because it's the first time Hallmark took a crack at a ship from Trek, and I can imagine that there are people who would love to have it even in a slightly updated form. After getting the Enterprise–C last year, it's also a bit of a let–down that we're not getting the Enterprise–B this year, especially when it's the only Enterprise that Hallmark hasn't done yet, and that includes the one from the JJ–verse and the AGT–D. (The refit appears as the Enterprise–A, and we already have two TOS 1701s and standard 1701–Ds as well.) I do like the Salt Vampire ornament though, and am glad that Hallmark has generally been good about aliens from TOS that go beyond Klingons and Romulans. (My Gorn and Horta being two excellent examples of this. Maybe next year I'll be able to add the Mugato to my tree as well.) I know it probably won't happen, but I'm almost hoping that there are more Trek ornaments that'll be announced later in the year to round out what was revealed in the catalog release.

#11 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

Omg one hundred bones for the Death Star?

#12 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:33 AM

If they are still doing Chekov (limited, for premier day?) I will pick that one up to complete the TOS crew.  I will also pick up The Man Trap.

Have to see the $75 tabletop display first ... still probably won't buy it.  The close-up on the website looks awful (dreambook shot looks better).

The gold one...you've got to be kidding me...I anticipate that will be on eBay a few months after Christmas for $10 and even if I'm wrong ... I won't miss it!

A shame, their latest offerings have been so lacking that my once complete collection is no longer so.  I skipped the Legacy Kirk/Spock/McCoy (original TOS uniform releases were far superior).  I have no interest in playing the ultra-limited, con-exclusive games, either (I did buy Vina, can't even remember how/where/why she was limited but she was).  If they went for even say double the price on the secondary market I might bite (slowly) but from what I have seen they are always way, way more than that.

Hallmark has really done us a disservice with that gold ship.  I hope they end up eating all of them as a result.  Kind of hope they end up eating those tabletop displays, too.

#13 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

I looked at the gold Enterprise while picking up my ornaments.  It does look better in person -- it's actually a glossy gold "plating", not just some matte gold paint as it looked like it would be from the online Dreambook photo.  I might eventually get it, using the Crown rewards/ornament punch card discounts I just amassed.

And indeed they did do Chekov as a limited premier day ornament, glad to have him!

#14 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

The gold plating on the ornament is pretty nice, I think it's actually metal. But the thing is a major fingerprint magnet just from looking at it at the store.

#15 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

The gold plating on the ornament is pretty nice, I think it's actually metal. But the thing is a major fingerprint magnet just from looking at it at the store.

I bought it over the weekend when I went to pick up another item, using some reward discounts.  I'm deathly afraid of displaying it or even putting it back in the plastic blister for fear of scratching it or breaking it...it's very lightweight and feels fragile, and already had some small scratches on the saucer fresh out of the box.  But it's still very nice looking.  Here's a pic that I took for my Instagram...

13739477_115421358899006_1668767439_n.jp

#16 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

shiny!

#17 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:44 PM

The Franklin is next years ornament.

http://www.thetrekco...-other.html?m=1

So excited.

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:09 AM

Nice! I've been a bit disappointed in the Halmark ship offerings the last few years... I had been getting ships for years for my Trek Tree! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users