Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:45 AM

Red shirts = Stormtroopers

#182 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:17 AM

hey just for the record, regarding the talk about the damage the enterprise gets in the jjverse vs primeverse,  the big difference is the jjverse enterprise weapons have 0 effectiveness (even though it is supposed to be more advanced than the primeverse vs the primeverse where it can actually fire at something and create some damage and defend itself.  

Her weapons were pretty effective once the Naradas shields dropped, and in Beyond her Phasers destroyed swarm ships, just not enough of them to make a difference.

#183 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

what did the enterprise weapons do to the Narada?

#184 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:01 AM

If SJ Clarkson bails out, Paramount has another successful director waiting to fill her shoes.

http://sciencefictio...rect-star-trek/

#185 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:55 AM

http://sciencefictio...s-hed-approach/

How pragmatic.

#186 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:16 PM

"I feel like Star Trek is kind of… it’s gone away from what the tenants of the series were about, which was kind of the hope and the promise and the science.”

He seems to get it.

#187 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 08:26 PM

On the latest rumors about Megan Fox all I can say is if she joins the Trek universe my wife might just swear off Star Trek...

#188 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:20 AM

Interesting...

https://comicbook.co...trek-megan-fox/

I've never been a huge Megan Fox fan... I just don't think she's that good of an actress. 

But I've long since come to terms that most Trek Movies aren't going to be great sci-fi films... Paramount has taken them to the realm of high speed, CGI intense, action packed, so I think one has to just decide that they are going to enjoy them for what they are... and maybe Megan fits that type of film just fine. 

#189 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:02 AM

Because Star Trek has always been known for its good acting.  :rolleyes:

If Megan Fox joins Trek, I'm sure she'll be perfectly adequate.

#190 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:09 PM

I think the TV shows have some highlights... the movies are mostly just extra fun... adequate may be the high bar these days for most movies. 

I always appreciated TOS for what it was... campy fun with a message... I wouldn't say I became a real "Fan" until DS9. Avery Brooks,René AuberjonoisColm Meaney, and Alexander Siddig were all pretty accomplished either prior, after or both! Which is probably true of most Captains Trek has selected to try and anchor a series.  

Heck I loved Jason Isaacs performance in S1 Disco. I'll complain about the script but not about Isaacs. 

#191 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:09 AM

Star Trek has been casting eye candy from the beginning. All I have to do is imagine Fox as Vina and I'm far less concerned about her acting ability.

2015-03-17_21-09-27.jpg

#192 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:52 PM

Oh to be sure... you noticed I didnt mention.. or imply almost any women... able as most cast members have been, your correct that many are there for their sex appeal.

So yeah, in that category MF has it in spades!

You did get me wondering though... so I looked at every Emmy Trek was ever  nominated for... 

Nimoy was nominated but never one for best supporting actor each season. 

After that... I think only Trinneer and Blalock received noms/wins beside Nimoy. 

#193 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:43 AM

Megan Fox in a major role (Vina? Give me a break...not comparable at all) has its closest analogy in Trek IMO in Blalock as T'Pol.

Both built careers on top of letting themselves be used as tools for grabbing the male gaze.

Unfortunately yes there is precedent for Trek playing this game, in TOS in spades and in 7 of 9 too and sure even Troi the way they costumed her. That's really no excuse to keep letting them do it in this day and age...

My wife to this day can't watch Enterprise as a feminist without feeling irritated by T'Pol. She's going to feel the same way about anything they do with Megan Fox and I doubt my wife is the only female Trek fan who would feel that way. So they would be trying to grab male viewers at the possible expense of female viewers with any such move.

Blalock also was a terrible actress to where it took me out of the scene sometimes hearing how she pronounced words like a 20th century mouth breather on the regular.

#194 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:21 AM

Megan Fox in a major role (Vina? Give me a break...not comparable at all) has its closest analogy in Trek IMO in Blalock as T'Pol.

You're conflating "major role" with "recurring role."

Vina had a major role in "The Cage." No one's said anything about Fox having either a major OR recurring role in Star Trek. For all we know she could have a Christian Slater-style cameo.

#195 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:49 PM

Blalock also was a terrible actress to where it took me out of the scene sometimes hearing how she pronounced words like a 20th century mouth breather on the regular.

can't say I disagree... but she did win an "Saturn" award for her efforts on ENT... not that they mean anything.

#196 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:19 AM

I honestly hope that that was the last of these movies, because the vast majority of what was seen was tremendously flawed. With Anton Yelchin gone and the producers seeming unable to get the cast financially interested... there are not a whole lot of directions for this particular franchise to go.

#197 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:53 PM

So, everyone has there opinions... and mine has certainly not been that kind to the latest Trek Movies... The last few movies have been some of the better reviewed by critics...  one of the main aspects to their job is to evaluate if the film maker succeeded in telling a coherent story... which isn't always one that the viewer (or fan) actually likes. 

What many of us loved (I suspect) about the prior movies was 1) it reunited us with a cast we loved and followed on TV... and 2) the better received movies were those that segued into the universe created on the small screen.

So you may be right Morgan, if they aren't interested in bringing those two elements together on the big screen... from a fan perspective... there isn't much room to maneuver. 

#198 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:14 AM

It was a mistake to bring Star Trek to the big screen in the first place. It should have stayed on television.

#199 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:06 PM

I actually agree... but it still makes money... so they aren't gonna quit. 

#200 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:28 PM

Well, the 3rd film reportedly lost $50.5 million, which is not a huge flop in Hollywood terms, and with the cast becoming more expensive, etc, I think the next script has to be some kind of slam dunk to get the studio interested again. It had some release issues of being up against heavier films that were screened at the time like Jason Bourne and a few others, but I dunno if a better release schedule would have made a huge difference. Still, that $50.5 million has to come out of somebody's pocket.

With this cast and the whole alternate timeline thing -- I think they've taken it about as far as this whole premise can go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users