• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

If it's anything like the Revell Voyager.....than yes if assembled properly it is sturdy like a toy...

#22 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Looky what arrived !!!   This thing is amazing !!!..... It has ALL of the detail of the CG filming model.... and it is just stunning...( No pun intended LOL)  This is a superb model....and just has tons of parts..... Kudos to Revell they really did a fantastic job.....

Here are a few shots in progress....

imagejpeg_282_zpsaf531666.jpg

imagejpeg_283_zps7c0269b4.jpg

Painted the Deflector....

imagejpeg_281_zps00cc39ec.jpg

#23 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Steve Neil posted his review of the kit, and even though JJ verse isn't his cup of tea, he raved about what an excellent kit it is.

#24 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

I have to agree with his assessment ..... Well done kit !!

#25 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Where can you pick up one in the US?

#26 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

I believe Cult Tv Man is selling them....

#27 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Thanks. It looks like he is taking names for a mailing list right now. I will keep an eye out. That looks like a nice kit.

#28 Oxnard Montalvo

Oxnard Montalvo

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

Have yet to begin building mine... I think I'll attempt to 'MacGyver' some lights into this rather than buy a lighting kit that'll cost three times more than the model itself! - I'm still a little baffled though as all the pre-release publicity mentioned a 'seperate bridge' whatever the hell that was (I assumed it would be a bunch of tiny consoles you'd be able to see through the bridge viewport...I suppose I was wrong there!)

#29 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

I am in the process of painting mine now....I will post pics when I have more done...

#30 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

*baits own breath*

#31 malloc64

malloc64

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

*baits own breath*

Grammatical pedantry: The phrase is "with bated breath" and not "with baited breath."  "Bated" is an archaic shortening of "abated," which means "reduced."

So, the phrase "waiting with bated breath" means "waiting with shallow, lessened breath due to heightened anticipation."

"Baited breath" on the other hand means that perhaps your breath smells like worms.  :P

In all seriousness though, with lessened breathing or with worm-scented breathing - I wanna see this model too!

#32 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

*spits out a mouthful of ragworm*

Ah... that explains this, thanks.

#33 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Hey guys..hope everyone is doing well...I have been really busy lately... I basically have the primary and secondary hulls constructed and painted....but have very little done with the ample nacelles... :-)

#34 malloc64

malloc64

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

I thought Steve Neil's "clown shoes" was a hilarous way to refer to them.  The main issue I've had with them is that the rear end of each nacelle has a light making it look as if it has an "exhaust."

The blue glow makes the nacelles look like they push the ship forward using reaction thrust rather than an invisible warp field.  They look like the "rocket boosters" that the original ship designers were forbidden to depict.  Obviously, long time fans will know they create a warp bubble, but new viewers could easily be forgiven for thinking they are thrusters of some kind.

(Star Destroyer engines for comparison.)

chgPisP.jpg

r7yKVhq.jpg

#35 Exelion

Exelion

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

They look like the "rocket boosters" that the original ship designers were forbidden to depict.  Obviously, long time fans will know they create a warp bubble, but new viewers could easily be forgiven for thinking they are thrusters of some kind.

New viewers could easily be forgiven for thinking that the engines are powered by fairy dust looking at the STID warp effect. :P

The original Enterprise had had numerous 'rocket booster' style holes at the end of its nacelles anyway.

#36 malloc64

malloc64

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

The original Enterprise had had numerous 'rocket booster' style holes at the end of its nacelles anyway.

Which is precisely why  the end caps were modified to have that spherical bulb on the back instead of the grills for the actual show (grill was only for the pilot, this version also had spikes on the bussards)!

#37 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Well I finally found a decent price on the Into Darkness Enterprise model. I will let you know when it gets here. I had to order from the UK. Im pretty excited to start work on this one.

#38 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

I spoke to soon. They cancelled my order, so I am back on the hunt.

#39 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

I thought Steve Neil's "clown shoes" was a hilarous way to refer to them.  The main issue I've had with them is that the rear end of each nacelle has a light making it look as if it has an "exhaust."

The blue glow makes the nacelles look like they push the ship forward using reaction thrust rather than an invisible warp field.  They look like the "rocket boosters" that the original ship designers were forbidden to depict.  Obviously, long time fans will know they create a warp bubble, but new viewers could easily be forgiven for thinking they are thrusters of some kind.

I like the energy that the glowing and moving parts give the new Enterprise nacelles. The original just kind of seemed to float around in space and you never really got a sense of the power that the Enterprise had. Of course you've got to understand that most people watching Star Trek aren't going to be familiar with how it works so there has to be a visual element to suggest how it works so that people get it.

Having the turbines at the front and the lights at the back, it's pretty easy to determine that things get sucked into the front and thrown out the back thus giving motion to the ship - audiences don't need to know that the Enterprise itself doesn't move very fast at all but instead creates a wave in space, warping the space around it that pushes it along (although this was briefly explained in the 2009 Star Trek).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users