• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

Revell is doing a 23.5" kit of the JJprise... It is coming out in may and it is gorgeous!!! It is very detailed and a very nice rendition of the ship...it looks spot on... All of you in Europe will be able to purchase it ...but it will not be retailed in the states...so the second hand market will have to be the way to go for US buyers.. I will post photo links asap. The scale is set by Revell at 1/500..... The cost isnt supposed to be to high considering its a mass produced Styrene kit...

#2 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

I'm sure some hobby stores in the US will import this. Looks good,you can check out a pic here:

http://www.thetrekco...ls-new-uss.html

I have a side view pic of it as well,but don't know if I can post it here. They say it's about 24",so not as big as I was hoping. Y'know,like Polar Lights BIG one,lol!

Have fun!

J-R!

#3 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (robster @ Apr 1 2013, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure some hobby stores in the US will import this. Looks good,you can check out a pic here:

http://www.thetrekco...ls-new-uss.html

I have a side view pic of it as well,but don't know if I can post it here. They say it's about 24",so not as big as I was hoping. Y'know,like Polar Lights BIG one,lol!

Have fun!

J-R!

Thanks for posting !!!! I love building models so this will be well received!!!

#4 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

My pleasure! I'll probably get this as well,although I don't always build the models I buy,don't have the patience for it,lol! Like the reviews you post on youtube btw.

Have fun!

J-R!

#5 ShipNerd

ShipNerd

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

aggggh!!!! The "Blasphemous Starship JJPrise"

I was HOPING some corrections to the viewports/windows would of been made to represent this Starships bloated size.

Basically the features on the model do not match up with a Starship of that Size.

I was looking forward to more viewports added in the Saucer section to give it more depth than it's obvious TMP Refit Roots.

The Engineering hull also has doesn't have the features to support the size purported by Abrams and his minions.

Basically this was my chance to get a response from the JJPrise community on her looking more the size of TMP Refitted NCC 1701 as opposed to the half mile long size endorsed by the filmakers.

Lol..no wonder why I won't get any Toys from Hasbro...They must know elements of this ship drive me crazy.

This BTW is nothing against Revell. The model looks like the JJPrise. Good kit

::goes back to his "Primeliner" Troll Cave::

ShipNerd

#6 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Shipnerd, I just deal with it by pretending the ship is a sensible size (sensible, in this case meaning "Sensible in context"), and choosing to ignore (as stylistic direction), the very sparse evidence to the contrary.

JJ had it scaled up so the shuttle bay could accommodate more shuttles. But Voyager's shuttle bay was depicted as larger on the inside than the exterior dimensions of the ship would allow, and the door was too small for the Delta Flyer. They didn't make the ship bigger on a whim for that... so I just stubbornly ignore the ridiculous official figure, and regard it as a sensibly-sized 322m ship.

As to this model - would it have killed Revell to have their dude LOOK AT SOME REFERENCE MATERIAL BEFORE PAINTING?!

I probably won't get this kit, but the sculpt looks pretty good - I can't wait to see what artists who know what the hell they're doing get their hands on it.

Speaking of... Prometheus, I await, with baited breath, what is sure to be your next triumph!

#7 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Does it really matter that the ship is bigger than its prime universe counterpart?

#8 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Yes.

#9 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Apr 3 2013, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes.

Wasn't the ship originally designed slightly bigger then the TOS counterpart? Like 366m or something like that. Then they just bloated the hell out of it for the shuttle scene.

#10 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Apr 3 2013, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes.

Why?

Its never EVER going to be seen on screen with it's 1960's counterpart and even if it was to be seen with any of the previous ships from Star Trek, why is it such a big deal that it's bigger? Its a DIFFERENT SHIP ENTIRELY FROM A DIFFERENT UNIVERSE!!!

ARGH!!!

#11 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (Alteran195 @ Apr 3 2013, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wasn't the ship originally designed slightly bigger then the TOS counterpart? Like 366m or something like that. Then they just bloated the hell out of it for the shuttle scene.

On the special features in the Blu-Ray release ILM state that they made it just over 900 meters long opposed to however long the original series. On the graphic they show it shows that the alternate universe Enterprise is just over twice the size of the TOS Prime Universe Enterprise.

In canon terms it doesn't matter since this is a new universe where the ships were obviously built bigger, in creative terms its one of those questions with an easy answer, so what they made it bigger. New movie, bigger budget, bigger better Enterprise.

LOVE the JJ Abrams Enterprise. My first love will always go to the D because thats the Enterprise I saw first as a child but this ship just brings the best of the classic and the Enterprise A and refit movie Enterprise together in a modern and refreshing way.

#12 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (1701 @ Apr 3 2013, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the special features in the Blu-Ray release ILM state that they made it just over 900 meters long opposed to however long the original series. On the graphic they show it shows that the alternate universe Enterprise is just over twice the size of the TOS Prime Universe Enterprise.

In canon terms it doesn't matter since this is a new universe where the ships were obviously built bigger, in creative terms its one of those questions with an easy answer, so what they made it bigger. New movie, bigger budget, bigger better Enterprise.

LOVE the JJ Abrams Enterprise. My first love will always go to the D because thats the Enterprise I saw first as a child but this ship just brings the best of the classic and the Enterprise A and refit movie Enterprise together in a modern and refreshing way.

I also love the new enterprise, I really hope one day SOMEONE release a nice version of her to go with the DST ships, I thought I read a while ago QMX was but haven't heard anything since.

#13 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

Yes, 366m was the design length. I couldn't recall that above, thanks.

1701, I'm sure you have partaken in this debate before, but, briefly, the reason it matters to me that, given that in both timelines, a constitution class was produced, it would seem that they were on the drawing board at the time of the Kelvin incident, 12 years before the launch of the Prime Enterprise.

So, the Connie was designed to fulfil a given role - it would be a given size. The Excelsior was regarded (by fans anyway) as the largest ship Starfleet had produced in TMP times (non canon games came up with larger ones), but certainly the Galaxy Class was the largest Starfleet ship as of the TNG era.

As with so much of the JJverse, it makes no sense that the designers of the Connie would suddenly balloon her to such an unprecedented size. The Kelvin's size is something I similarly have to brush under the carpet.

#14 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Apr 4 2013, 04:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, 366m was the design length. I couldn't recall that above, thanks.

1701, I'm sure you have partaken in this debate before, but, briefly, the reason it matters to me that, given that in both timelines, a constitution class was produced, it would seem that they were on the drawing board at the time of the Kelvin incident, 12 years before the launch of the Prime Enterprise.

So, the Connie was designed to fulfil a given role - it would be a given size. The Excelsior was regarded (by fans anyway) as the largest ship Starfleet had produced in TMP times (non canon games came up with larger ones), but certainly the Galaxy Class was the largest Starfleet ship as of the TNG era.

As with so much of the JJverse, it makes no sense that the designers of the Connie would suddenly balloon her to such an unprecedented size. The Kelvin's size is something I similarly have to brush under the carpet.

Destructor, I think you're really over-analyzing this to the point where it really doesn't matter.

#15 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

I just want to know why a ship that size was launched from Iowa. And, since it can take off from a planet, can it not land on one too?

#16 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Apr 4 2013, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Destructor, I think you're really over-analyzing this to the point where it really doesn't matter.

http://www.ex-astris...ise_comment.htm

A good read about the size issue.

#17 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (1701)

That's my prerogative.

I prefer my escapist universes to be internally consistent, and I appear to be in good company.

#18 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

As far as the size issue goes....I think JJ just didnt think out the scales properly... they just winged it and it made for some serious descrepencies in scale comparisons. I definitely like the JJprise quite a bit..... its a unique perspective on the classic design but I think it works well. Im really looking forward to a 2ft representation of this beauty. I try not too get to upset about it because there really is nothing one can do once the mistakes have been made..... Most people never mention the destroyed fleet at Vulcan.....The saucers on the destroyed vessels are HUGE!!! For the saucers to be that much larger than the Enterprise....it would make them just enormous vessels.... but like I said...I think JJs art department either was going for an artistic interpretation that just doesnt translate well to real life dimensions or they just didnt realise what they were doing...

#19 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:05 AM

Some new pics of this. I really do like this one. Wish I had the attention span to actually build it,lol!

http://scifipulse.net/2013/04/82053/

J-R!

#20 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Whats the plastic quality like? is it pretty sturdy like a toy? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users