• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

Well.... After a month of production and shipping time I received a package from the Philippines!!

All I can say is WOW!!! These models are almost perfect.

I bought the Morphed "warp" version and the regular version from a seller called Fighter Factory on Ebay. They are fantastic.... You should see the way these things came shipped.... Hand cut Styrofoam and wood braces to protect them... I have never had such a good transaction on eBay.

I'm on my phone but as soon as I get to a computer I will post the pics.

#2 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:57 PM

Oooooh,looking forward to seeing pics!

J-R!

#3 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:43 PM

Okay..... Here they are......

Hope you enjoy the images.....

M1_zpsifeywzkb.jpg

M2_zpsargtyzie.jpg

M3_zpslhoms2ix.jpg

M4_zpsc5adwcra.jpg

M5_zpsynlyf1aj.jpg

M6_zpsmlpsj2jg.jpg

#4 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:31 PM

Wow! What are they made out of?

Random thing, but I'm sure this company used to make Star Trek models if I'm remembering correctly (really rare ones, shuttles etc).

#5 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:24 AM

They are actually wood models, but you would never know it by looking or touching... They are perfectly symmetrical and have a really nice, smooth automotive paint finish with brass female connection points on the bottom of the models themselves... But very tiny and flush.

They are even cold to the touch .. I'm thinking it might be baked paint because its so flawless and almost seems like metal.

You could be right.... Some company on eBay made a Type 11a shuttle and I think Admiral Janeway's shuttle from Endgame.

#6 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:58 AM

LOVE the pics,and LOVE this ship! So simple yet so evocative. And yes,it LOOKS flawless,lol! I know nothing is flawless,but you can get things that LOOK flawless. How big is it? And how much did it cost? You might've mentioned it in a different thread,but if so I must've missed it or something.

Think I like the sleeker one the best.

J-R!

#7 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:35 AM

Robster

The standard version, or the "walnut" as I call it, is almost 6" (15.24cm) long and the morphed "sleek" version is about 10" (25.40cm) long. The funny thing is that they seem bigger in person because they are also wide and tall in dimension which gives them more presence.

They were up for auction at 89.00 US dollars a piece on eBay but had a best offer option so I ended up getting them for 75.00 a piece and paid 40.00 combined shipping for 10 day Express International Air Post from the Philippines.

It may seem expensive to some but considering these are hand made I think they are well worth it.... I can't say enough about how well they were packaged !! (I felt like a lucky kid on Christmas taking the ships and their stands out of the elaborate packing!!)

I have to agree with you Robster about this design; It is so simple yet very elegant... and the fact that it was basically "liquid metal" always captured my imagination in my youth.... I know some people that hate this design but I have always been a fan of understated engineering with sort of a kick !!

I actually was reading this article about the film .... A lot of the elements of the film were pretty neat and kind of serious in nature for a "Disney kids' film"...and that apparently happened for a reason....

The film was originally being produced by, I believe they said in the article, a New Zealand Production company that went belly up during production and had to sell the rights to Disney.... The script and much of the filming had a much darker tone to it but once Disney restarted production they decided to make it more kid friendly and sort of kept some of the material shot and reworked other elements to tone it down a bit.

I wonder what the film would have looked like if Disney hadnt made it so kid friendly....Im not saying it was a bad movie, its just that a film like, 'The Black Hole' which was a relatively dark film for Disney at the time, has held the test of time better, in my opinion, more than others.

#8 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:11 AM

YES! Walnut is a very apt name for it,lol! Thank you for the informative reply. Just one last question.....does the seller have any more? Maybe I could contact the seller and ask him to make me a set,lol! If the seller was the one who made it,of course. And I am SOOO adding this to the list of Hallmark ornys to nag Hallmark about at the cons,lol!

Gee,wish I had the movie as I really wanna see it again. Say what you will about Disney but sometimes they come up with little gems like this. And it seems I always like the movies that aren't big box office successes. This one,Rocketeer,Condorman,Black Hole,and quite a few other non Disney movies.

Would I go off in the Universe if this ship came and asked me? HELL yeah! I'd be in that ship so fast it would make Flash seem like he's moving in slowmotion! I mean,wouldn't anyone? I've always had my head in space,and it's arrogant to think we're the only beings in the Universe. There must be more than this?! So yeah,please come and pick me up,I'm ready! ROFL!

Oh and pricey? Absolutely NOT! You pay for what you love and you can't always put a price on that,despite others thinking it's a waste of money or what's the point and so on. I bet ya everyone has SOMEthing they want that they'd happily pay for. I know *I* have.

Ok,little rant over. Have fun y'all! And thanks for all the fish.

And thank YOU Prom,for great pics and informative reply,it really made my day. Yes,it's daytime here,lol!

J-R!

#9 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:47 AM

Robster....

Im on the nightshift at my work..... So I check the computer off and on.... You and I are definitely on the same page about a LOT of stuff !!!  ;)

Here, hope this helps.........

http://www.ebay.com/...a6#ht_576wt_923

http://www.ebay.com/...64#ht_605wt_902

What I did was make independent offers of 75.00 each then I asked for combine shipping.... They are made to order and it takes about a month for production and express shipping.... I PROMISE you won't be disappointed !!

Cheers !!

PS.... Be leary of those larger more expensive wood models on eBay..... I did my research before buying and Fighter Factory is supposed to be the best.....

#10 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:55 AM

Thanks Prom. I actually watched the whole movie on YT,bit crappy quality,but OH how I enjoyed seeing it again! Even downloaded the soundtrack,lol! Forgot it was by Alan Silvestri,he's done some great stuff over the years.

I also checked out ebay,just for fun,and found the ships from the seller you bought them from! Thank you for the links though.

They sure don't make kids movies like they used to,or are we wearing rosetinted glasses here? lol! I know what I like,and always will.

Nightshift,ey? Well hope you have a fun job,lol.

J-R!

#11 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

PROMETHEUS!!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY HEAD!!!! AAAARRGGGHH!!! Can't get that stupid ship outta my head! Keep hearing him when I fall asleep! LOL! I'm calling the ship Max from now on btw. Listened to the soundtrack a few times yesterday,it really is quite good. Even checked out Blancmange's song,y'know,the one playing on tv when David asks what that is. Love that song too,lol!

Already started nagging Hallmark to make an orny of Max,lol! BOTH versions.

J-R!

#12 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:18 PM

Due to this thread, I've discovered these things:

One, the film was on the BBC this week, and was available to watch on the iPlayer (catch up/on-demand), so I did!

Two, the Mother of the boy would later experience missing time herself, only the gap would be a few hundred years, where she'd take a job as the NAVIGATOR aboard what is essentially a big space tug, only to be tragically killed by a vicious Alien...! 

Three, the voice of Max is the same guy who plays Pee Wee Herman.

That's my learning for the week, done. ;)

#13 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:31 PM

LOL... You guys are too funny.... Robster... All I can say is... If Max comes and picks you up be sure to send all of us a line or two via subspace from Phaelon!!

JayK... I actually figured out also that was indeed Veronica Cartwright from Alien... This will blow your mind also... Veronica's sister(Angela) was Penny Robinson in the original Lost in Space!!

You are also correct about Paul Rubens (aka PeeWee Herman) voicing Max... I own the BluRay and the special features talk about how PeeWee wanted to be know as Paul Mall for this film...

#14 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

OH,OH,OH,OVER HERE,OVER HERE,OVER HERE!!!.....raises arm to ask a question.....ME,ME,ME! What are the special features on the br? I've not bought it yet but am of course going to.

And didn't Cliff DeYoung appear in various Trek episodes?

PeeWee is coming out with a new movie,PeeWee's Big Holiday. Does the guy never age? He looks just like he did years ago! Never actually saw any PeeWee,was it any fun? I remember Paul Reubens in Mystery Men and some other movie and tv stuff though.

Think I need to buy a Max t-shirt for Comic Con,LOL!

J-R!

#15 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:17 PM

That's awesome.  I met Veronica Cartwright at a screening for a film we both worked on.

#16 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

Uhm... Robster I believe the only special features on the BR are the commentaries by Director Randal Kleiser and Producer Johnathan Sanger. Its a decent transfer and the audio is good.

I have to find you a link to this awesome Flight of the Navigator / Top Gun T-shirt that has a Top Gun style Logo with an image of the sleek morphed Max with the words Navigators Flight Club.

#17 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

Djc242..... That is so cool.... Do you mind me asking what film?

#18 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:25 PM

Pro, she played the bitter old mother of Rumer Willis' character in the indie film "The Odd Way Home."  She was only in one important scene near the end but she stole the show!

#19 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

Yeah,that's one of the t-shirts I saw. There's also one with walnut Max that says Compliance. And since I totally suck at choosing I'll probably end up with both,lol! THAT's the only special feature?! They could've done a little more for the br release. Maybe next year,it's 30th anniversary,lol.

J-R!

#20 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:05 AM

Robster

Definitely a hard decision on the shirts... I would go with both also... I bet you will get some compliments at Comic Con and some " I remember that movie..." :)

Djc242.... I will have to check that film out... Love that you are in the film industry!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users