Photo

Has Star Trek XI Broken the Odd Number Curse?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Odd Number Curse Broken? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Star Trek XI has broken the odd number curse?

1. Yes (20 votes [64.52%])

Percentage of vote: 64.52%

2. No (10 votes [32.26%])

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

3. Undecided (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

I know there is heated debate all over the forum about Star Trek XI, but I started thinking, "Did this film break the Star Trek movie curse?"

Mind you, we've had some questionable even number movies as well, but the odds have always seemed to bomb.

We all know that STXI is doing well at the box office, but for me the curse extends to more than numbers.

I am voting yes, it has broken the curse. I think the movie is going to usher in a new era for Trek. Its doing well financially and I think most people are enjoying the heck out of it. I liked it for what it was worth, and like it or not, this is the new future of Trek.

#2 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:36 PM

Trek is back. I know people that are watching it and saying how much they love it that I NEVER would have thought that I would ever see at a Trek movie.

#3 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

I voted yes. XI definitely broke the cycle of odd numbered bombs. I don't think that the cycle really means much though. I may not have thought it was a particularly good movie, but you can't argue with box office, and it does have much wider appeal than Trek films have enjoyed in a long time.

#4 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:59 PM

I saw this being said in the Maxim Trek issue and I took a little exception to it because Generations is one of my favorite Trek movies. I think it was just Piacrd and Kirk riding together in the nexus that really made it for me but anyhoo....Im actually beginning to think that Trek is a little too big. I gave out a little extra credit in my classes for people to go see the flick thinking that any extra "help" i could give to the franchise would get me one step closer to a sequal...only one out of about 40 said they didnt like it. Its kinda strange that Trek is getting all the hype now. What I DONT like is the statement that Ive been hearing alot... "Its not like the nerdy old Trek, this is cool" or some variation on that theme. To me is the same old Trek with maybe 10% more explosions. I was also a bit dismayed that when I saw the film both times I was the only one laughing in a packed theatre to the inside Trek jokes like the one about Porthos.

What I do hope comes from this is a renewed interest in the current day sopace program. Star Wars being in a galaxy "far far away" never really mad eit seem real. Hopefully this movie conveys a sense of realism that insipres young people to want to look for new life and new civilizations.

#5 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

I hear you TheHSBR and I voted yes (obviously laugh.gif). I will say this is the same Trek I grew up with on TOS when it comes to the fun factor. I'm hoping more of the other magic returns with each movie, but they also continue to do their own thing.

#6 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

I voted no, but not because I didn't enjoy the movie, but rather because I liked The Search for Spock and The Motion Picture, and absolutely hated the even-numbered Nemesis. So, I've felt the odd-numbered curse was really more of a coincidence, and didn't apply to every single one.

#7 neoworx

neoworx

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:50 PM

I voted "yes" despite the fact that I kind of reject the premise of the question. I have always loved ST3!

#8 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:05 AM

ST3 is my all time favorite Trek film. However, I think by "curse" people usuallly mean how commerically unsuccessful the odd numbered movies have been. I think, however, it is just because the odd numbered movies have been geared almost solely to the Trek fans than a general audience.

#9 neoworx

neoworx

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ May 19 2009, 06:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ST3 is my all time favorite Trek film. However, I think by "curse" people usuallly mean how commerically unsuccessful the odd numbered movies have been. I think, however, it is just because the odd numbered movies have been geared almost solely to the Trek fans than a general audience.

Oh I realize what is meant by it, KT. I just don't think 3 fits that classification, since it was not commercially unsuccessful (it was good enough to merit a continuation of the franchise), nor flawed in the way that say ST5 or TMP is. What is truly amazing to me is how many extremely cool defining things ST3 brought to the Trek universe. it gave us the new Klingons (greatly fleshed out from the brief TMP appearance), the Bird of Prey, Excelsior, Spacedock and the Grissom. What other movie gave us so much?

And now, back to your regularly-scheduled topic.

#10 ncc1701toy

ncc1701toy

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek TOS props and toys 'n gadgets 'n stuff

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

Would say yes Trek is back (though among fans it never went away) the new movie did really well and my wife and I saw it twice because I/we liked it, and I'm a TOS fan. But it's a whole new parallel universe with all new strange new worlds to seek out. But its no good now my left and right brain are at war between the movie and TOS... LOL. PS: I bought the new Enterprise model. wink.gif

#11 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

The question is flawed, since it requires agreement that there is an odd-numbered curse.

I love The Search For Spock, so I'd have to vote "no", even though I loved this latest movie and rank it up there with the best of the series (TWOK, FC).

#12 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

"No" because 11 is the new 10!

#13 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:44 PM

Well, I think it is a new beginning, so any curse that may or may not have existed for the old movies doesn't apply any longer.

Now we'll have to see if there will be an even number curse for this new series of movies. Or, perhaps, the second one will do so much better than the first that it will seem cursed in comparison.

#14 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

I voted Yes because the movie is obviously doing very well and is far better than Nemesis in my opinion. But, I am also a big fan of Star Trek 3 as some others have mentioned, it is very underrated.

#15 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

If you just look at box office information then this curse doesn't exist.

Total box office gross (adjusted for inflation) for all Star Trek Films:
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) $239,115,674 - Odd
Star Trek (2009) $217,645,384 - Odd
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) $212,328,919 - Even
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) $192,290,437 - Even
Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (1984) $163,237,856 - Odd
Star Trek: First Contact (1996) $149,493,266 - Even
Star Trek: Generations (1994) $129,980,545 - Odd
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) $127,720,425 - Even
Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) $107,451,468 - Odd
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) $93,951,918 - Odd
Star Trek: Nemesis (2002) $53,387,173 - Even

If you took a survey of Star Trek fans you would probably find that their least favorite Star Trek film is Star Trek TMP, however to date it is the best performing of the franchise. This is likely due to the time period that fans went without Star Trek, likewise the new Star Trek is doing very well and probably a part of that is due to the time that has passed without any Trek. Five of the six worst performing films were all released within seven years of each other.

I think where the curse comes in is how well the films stand the test of time, just because a movie does well at it's initial release doesn't mean it will be re-watched over and over and be a movie that is remembered for years to come. In that regard I think the odd number curse will hold true for the new Star Trek film, while it's fun to watch there just isn't much to it there is very little story and mostly action.

#16 neoworx

neoworx

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (s8film40 @ May 19 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you took a survey of Star Trek fans you would probably find that their least favorite Star Trek film is Star Trek TMP,

I agree with everything you say except this. I think most fans would pick ST5 as the worst, hands down. That's just my subjective opinion, naturally.

I've always taken the odd-number business to refer to quality more than dollars made. I don't agree with that, but that's been my read on it.

#17 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (neoworx @ May 19 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with everything you say except this. I think most fans would pick ST5 as the worst, hands down. That's just my subjective opinion, naturally.

I've always taken the odd-number business to refer to quality more than dollars made. I don't agree with that, but that's been my read on it.

Well I probably should have said "one of the worst" I actually really like TMP I think you just have to appreciate it for what it is there are a lot of long visual sequences that slow the story down, but when you learn to appreciate those it's a great movie. I guess since Star Trek V is near the bottom of the list both in fan appreciation and box office it should have the title of all time worst Star Trek Movie.

#18 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

I much prefer STV to ST TMP. Just my personal choice though.

#19 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:36 PM

I for one really like Star Trek The Motion Picture.

#20 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (DS9_Fan @ May 20 2009, 04:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I much prefer STV to ST TMP. Just my personal choice though.

So do I. STV is my favorite Star Trek movies (I know it has many flaws but I accept them) but ST TMP is as if it was a TNG movie with the TOS cast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users