Original Series gets CGI'd

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:12 PM

For those that don't read the AA forum, take a look at this article Original Star Trek Gets CGI Upgrades for HD Syndicated Return.

I think its cool that we will get the new graphics. The old retro-nostalgic ones are cool, but I've always wanted to see what TOS would look like hyped up. It stinks that it is only HD for now and it will stink if they over do it ala George Lucas.

#2 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

Ok, my first thought was the same as yours... "it will stink if they over do it ala George Lucas" but I read what they are planning to do, and as long as it's just tweaking the backdrops and and space fights and such I think it might be kind of neat.

#3 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:50 PM

I'd be pretty interested in seeing the 'revamped' effects for the episodes. The old ones are, of course, classic and nostalgic but seeing TOS with these remastered shots would be great.

Plus Mike and Denise Okuda are in charge of this. They would totally respect the material. I hope they are shown over here in the UK eventually.

#4 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

Perhaps they could tweek the aliens, I wouldnt mind seeing Andorians with mobile antenae, or Romulans and Klingons with ridges, or new scenes in Journey to Babel... oh wait, that is what you mean by "ala George"

What I would like, and I was hoping they would have done this for the box set release, was to clean out all the graininess in the pictures. The Enterprise fly overs look so old, and even some of the action on ship or planetside could use some clean up. I want them to leave the phaser fire sound and visual alone, cleaning up messiness or fixing sound when it was incorrectly done is fine.
If it can be done, I am so getting this format, even though I hate change.

#5 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

I dunno Tiberius, none of those things seem so outlandish to me ... cept maybe the ridges.

Hopefully, a lot of that stuff will be cleaned up. I was disapponted when the first DVDs came, supposedly digitally remastered, and there were still grainey shots.

I think it will be well done, like ECH said. The crew working on the project are devoted Trek alum. Its going to be the TOS I fell in love with, only better!

#6 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:22 AM

Hmm, seems like another attempt to get some DVD sells from people like us who have the TOS already.

#7 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:27 AM

Check this out.

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:36 AM

I like what I saw!

It seemed that they stuck to the varrious view screens and updated them. They did not try and re-envision anything just added more to based on what we know and the new technology.

If anything I think it made the TOS look a bit more techy than Enterprise... which it should be... and helps to fix continuity issues IMO.

Makes me wish I had HD TV to watch these!

#9 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:21 AM

My only hope is that when they release those new versions on DVD, they will finally put them in production order instead of the original airing order (or worse, a new order with Balance of terror as the new first episode.)

I don't understand the negativity about the updated Star Wars. My only regret about them is that they didn't updat the lightsaber fights with something looking a little more spectacular then Alec Guiness vs Dave Prowse in episode 4 or Luke vs his father in episodes 5 and 6.

#10 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Sep 1 2006, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My only hope is that when they release those new versions on DVD, they will finally put them in production order instead of the original airing order (or worse, a new order with Balance of terror as the new first episode.)

I don't understand the negativity about the updated Star Wars. My only regret about them is that they didn't updat the lightsaber fights with something looking a little more spectacular then Alec Guiness vs Dave Prowse in episode 4 or Luke vs his father in episodes 5 and 6.

How does the original vs airing order make a difference? Is there some congruity issues?

Yeah, I loved most of the updated stuff in Star Wars. The only things that really hacked me off was Hayden Christiansen's appearnace at the end of 6 ... I hated it!

#11 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Sep 1 2006, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How does the original vs airing order make a difference? Is there some congruity issues?

Mostly details, like character developement. But the most visible problem with the airing order are the sets, props and uniforms. The first Trek made was "The Cage". Then there was "Where No Man has Gone Before" that visually looked a lot like "The Cage". Then they all got new haircuts (with pointed sideburns), uniforms and props and the sets were modified for "The Corbomite Maneuver", in which the uniforms were way too wide for everyone (they knew the velour was going to shrink).

I can understand them not airing "The Cage" because they used most footage from that episode in "The Menagerie" But wy was "Where No Man..." aired as the 3rd episode, preceded by such later episodes as "The Man trap" and "Charlie X"? When you watch "Where No Man...", you know the events take place before the rest of the episodes!

#12 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:22 PM

Well it seems I'm waiting for the DVD sets to watch these episodes since it seems they aren't being shown in the NJ/NY area for some odd reason.

#13 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:57 PM

I think that with all the continuity issues and the "present date" of Trek, that they should all be wearing Red Surge uniforms and update the ship to one more reminiscent of the Enterprise A. I mean, why go through all that hassle, and not have them in their appropriate attire. This way we can get some new TOS figures in removable costumes tongue.gif
I am just kidding Bernsey, but am afraid I was anticipating that in the last post.
DavAnthony, check the weekend or even the next week, they may not have had time to air it on time, and they wouldnt have an inkling of the impact of that air date.

#14 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:17 AM

I wouldnt mind seeing the new cg Trek episodes, but i cant help feeling like changing TOS is somehow wrong. I realize Mike and Denise Okuda are involved in the changes, and i think they will be respectful to the old Trek, but it still doesnt seem right in some way. Even though the changes George Lucas made the the Star Wars original trilogy may have have improved them in some opinions and made them more relevant in todays more critical audiences, i still feel that many who experienced the original versions in the theater feel betrayed by the changes, and some TOS fans will as well. I am glad the original Star Wars films are about to be available on dvd for the first time as seen in theaters, and im glad i have the original TOS episodes without the changes too.

#15 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:22 AM

There's no question that some Star Wars fans feel "betrayed" by the special editions.

However, I believe they are a very vocal minority. Most people I've spoken to prefer the newer versions, despite the few mis-steps. I think even more people will prefer the special editions when they see, for the first time in many, many years, the quality of the "Unaltered Editions".

I'm looking forward to the Trek with new effects. I might not rebuy the DVDs on HD, but I definitely wasn't going to before this effort.

#16 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:14 AM

IMO, the younger generation likes the newer versions of the Star Wars trilogy or even those seeing them for the first time of any generation. What makes the difference for me is when i watch the star wars movies in the unaltered version, i feel a connection to my youth as i was when i saw them for the first time and i remember the excitement i felt watching them with my Dad in the old theater we went to then. When i watch the newer versions, its like watching different movies with no connection to that time in my life that i long to live through again i suppose. With the TOS cg makeovers, it will make them more appealing to those of the younger generations who may not have seen the show before, and for those that like the newer Trek shows but think TOS is too cheesy. I say as long as i can still get the original versions that i enjoyed in my childhood, then i guess i will be fine, but i doubt any newer generation will ever enjoy TOS as much as my generation did regardless how much you change in the show.

#17 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:26 PM

When I watch the Special Editions of Star Wars, it's the same story with better effects and a few minor changes.

Having windows in Bespin doesn't disconnect it from my childhood memories. In my mind, there probably always were windows there, since I remember Bespin as much from the comics and my imagination as I do from what Lucas put on film in 1980.

Was having Greedo shoot first, or simultaneously on DVD, a bad idea? I think so. But that great shot of the Falcon as it blasts out of Mos Eisley makes up for it.

#18 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

I like it. I will be getting this. Sincd I don't have TOS on DVD yet I don't see it as buying yet another realease. I can't wait to see more.

#19 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

Well, I will be glad to have both I think. I am curious to as how this will look and feel when its finally finished. I think it will be worth checking out ... but I still love nostalgic, campy TOS too!

#20 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:26 AM

Has anyone watched these new versions yet? I've been reading a few posts over at Trekweb and the amount of bitching is absolutely astounding. I know that mob are pretty bloody hard to please to begin with but if CBS/Paramount actaully listen to them and take note of what they are saying, there'll never be any new Trek ever again...what a bunch of whingers. mad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users