262 replies to this topic

#21 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ May 11 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least we all paid to watch the movie so that we could make a good judgment instead of illegaly downloading it and posting such in the forums. Some people cant seem to make a biased judgment on this film due to the fact that they had already decided that they wouldnt like it. So instead they just try and pick apart everything and try and ruin it for everyone else.

Let me show you how your wrong. Didn't like Heath Ledger being cast as The Joker nor Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man and yet I'm so "biased" that when it was all said and done I realized they both had done a great job in their respective films and I admitted so. I admit that there were some good points to this movie (SFX,some of the humor, Bana, Greenwood, and Quinto) but for me it fell flat and is overall a poor movie and poorly directed. The simple fact is that despite the belief that so many of you espouse to be such great fans, have such extraordinarily open minds and throw around IDIC like a baseball during the first day of baseball practice. The FACT is that some on this board are all open minded until it goes against something that they like then I'm a ****head or my mind was made up etc etc etc blah blah blah blink.gif
Also watching a movie online doesn't mean you can't tell if a movie was good or not. I watched Iron Man online and new it was a good movie.
Lastly HOW in the world does me pointing out the flaws as I see them in this movie "RUIN" it for you. Are you telling me JMW that I am SO persuasive that my arguments make you question if this movie was good or not?! Really dude, c'mon rolleyes.gif

Granted the internet is tough because we don't know the ages of some of the people we are on boards with. So JMW or The Donster if your a kid and my opinions ruined your movie experience. Don't let them. Enjoy what you like but just realize that there are people out there still making quality and as you get older hopefully you'll be able to have a point of comparison in which to view this movie at. However at the current rate that quality and substance is being sacrificed for I'm afraid that this movie and its kind may end up being the new gold standard of what represents good quality. If that happens the next downgrade in quality will be the equivalent of watching movies where people simply sit and drool on screen and people clamor saying it is AMAZING.

#22 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

Okay guys, opposite corners. Let's keep this civil. I think Donster was just kidding around, hence the SNL clip. Let's not let a simple joke start any trouble.

QUOTE (DavAnthony @ May 11 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...If that happens the next downgrade in quality will be the equivalent of watching movies where people simply sit and drool on screen and people clamor saying it is AMAZING.

Well, that would certainly be avant garde. So, in a way, it would be amazing, in an artistic sense. wink.gif

#23 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (DavAnthony @ May 11 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let me show you how your wrong. Didn't like Heath Ledger being cast as The Joker nor Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man and yet I'm so "biased" that when it was all said and done I realized they both had done a great job in their respective films and I admitted so. I admit that there were some good points to this movie (SFX,some of the humor, Bana, Greenwood, and Quinto) but for me it fell flat and is overall a poor movie and poorly directed. The simple fact is that despite the belief that so many of you espouse to be such great fans, have such extraordinarily open minds and throw around IDIC like a baseball during the first day of baseball practice. The FACT is that some on this board are all open minded until it goes against something that they like then I'm a dickhead or my mind was made up etc etc etc blah blah blah blink.gif
Also watching a movie online doesn't mean you can't tell if a movie was good or not. I watched Iron Man online and new it was a good movie.
Lastly HOW in the world does me pointing out the flaws as I see them in this movie "RUIN" it for you. Are you telling me JMW that I am SO persuasive that my arguments make you question if this movie was good or not?! Really dude, c'mon rolleyes.gif

Granted the internet is tough because we don't know the ages of some of the people we are on boards with. So JMW or The Donster if your a kid and my opinions ruined your movie experience. Don't let them. Enjoy what you like but just realize that there are people out there still making quality and as you get older hopefully you'll be able to have a point of comparison in which to view this movie at. However at the current rate that quality and substance is being sacrificed for I'm afraid that this movie and its kind may end up being the new gold standard of what represents good quality. If that happens the next downgrade in quality will be the equivalent of watching movies where people simply sit and drool on screen and people clamor saying it is AMAZING.

rolleyes.gif LOL. I am going to have to go with the Donsters comment above on this one. LOL. Some people...

#24 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:40 AM

DavAnthony, we get it you didn't like the movie. Luckily, the majority LIKE this movie and we may see more in the future. Why do you insist on commenting on something you didn't care for MULTIPLE times? Don't like the responses to your posts? Avoid those threads...that's what I do.

Back on topic, so why did Nero attack Klingon ships? My memory is hazy on this issue. I remember Uhura making this statement, was it mentioned why? Did the Klingons get in the way of Nero? I don't think the Klingons had anything to do with the destruction of Romulus (Which sucks by the way since that happened in the "normal" universe).

#25 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ May 11 2009, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some people cant seem to make a biased judgment ...

Sorry, just have to check, you mean un-biased right?

Also... I though the point was to discuss the film? Doesn't that mean we are going to have to pick it apart? Analyze it? I've always found that to be the fun of a true "Thinker" of a movie! I'm surely not trying to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the film. I've been trying to evenly throw out crits as well as praise for it...

And yes, I echo Knightone, please, lets keep it civil!

#26 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:46 AM

Ok, DavAnthony doesn't like the film and some of you don't like his opinion ... move on and let's all be adults.

#27 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:49 AM

Also, I thought this forum was supposed to be child friendly, so can we drop the use of the "D" word being bandied around please? I really find it unnecessary.

#28 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, it is taken care of Goth. I think I edited them all out and I am contacting said parties.

#29 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (Hirogen @ May 11 2009, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DavAnthony, we get it you didn't like the movie. Luckily, the majority LIKE this movie and we may see more in the future. Why do you insist on commenting on something you didn't care for MULTIPLE times? Don't like the responses to your posts? Avoid those threads...that's what I do.

Back on topic, so why did Nero attack Klingon ships? My memory is hazy on this issue. I remember Uhura making this statement, was it mentioned why? Did the Klingons get in the way of Nero? I don't think the Klingons had anything to do with the destruction of Romulus (Which sucks by the way since that happened in the "normal" universe).

It was part of the deleted footage, which hopefully will be on the DVD.

Nero is held on Rura Penthe and he and his crew stage a jailbreak. Remember, the Narada was damaged by the Kelvin near Klingon Space. You'll notice the Narada crew are wearing Klingon boots and probably other articles of Klingon clothing and gear. They weren't flying around for 25 years waiting for Spock, they were prisoners of the Klingons, at least in the original version. The new cut of the movie makes it look like they just wandered aimlessly around for a quarter of a century.

#30 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ May 11 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least we all paid to watch the movie so that we could make a good judgment instead of illegaly downloading it

I'm proud to say I saw the movie twice for free! Yes, the movie theater complex wanted some fans in uniforms at the entrance and so me and some friends got to see the movie twice (as a for of payment by the theater) for free. I did get to see it 3 times and did pay for the first time I saw the movie though.

It had moments it brought tears to my eyes. Seeing Nimoy as Spock, hearing him say "I have been and always shall be your friend", seeing Kirk take his rightful place in the chair and especially when Kirk said to the Nimoy Spock (after the Quinto Spock had accused Kirk of cheating) that traveling back in time to change things is cheating and Nimoy replied "A trick I learned from an old friend". Those were the best scenes of the movie. Best Star Trek since TUC. I don't think that between TUC and this new movie there was anything in Star Trek that brought tears to my eyes.

#31 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

That really sucks because it could have added a lot to the story. I could have done without the scenes where kirk and spock are both children. Maybe it just because I know the mythos but I thought they were unneccessary. Nero on the other hand was severly underused in this film...and what was with that accent?

I also totally agree that there were a lot of moments that were very moving for Trek fans. I especially felt the first scene with the Enterprise in space in addition to those that Berns mentioned.

#32 Hirogen

Hirogen

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ May 11 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nero is held on Rura Penthe and he and his crew stage a jailbreak. Remember, the Narada was damaged by the Kelvin near Klingon Space. You'll notice the Narada crew are wearing Klingon boots and probably other articles of Klingon clothing and gear. They weren't flying around for 25 years waiting for Spock, they were prisoners of the Klingons, at least in the original version. The new cut of the movie makes it look like they just wandered aimlessly around for a quarter of a century.

Thanks knightone! That's exaclty what I thought, Nero was just sitting around for 25 years waiting. Those scenes would have explained a lot.

#33 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (Hirogen @ May 11 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's exaclty what I thought, Nero was just sitting around for 25 years waiting. Those scenes would have explained a lot.

Me too! Glad that clears it up.

#34 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ May 11 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also totally agree that there were a lot of moments that were very moving for Trek fans. I especially felt the first scene with the Enterprise in space in addition to those that Berns mentioned.

Oops, almost forgot about that scene. Yes, it moved me too. But to a lesser degree because we had seen such a scene too many times before (TMP, TVH, Triles and Tribulations, etc.)

#35 Hirogen

Hirogen

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ May 11 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just thought of something else....what happened to Nero's ship in that time he and his crew were captured? If I was the Klingons I would have taken it and studied it. Maybe Klingon tech will be more advanced in the next movie making them more of a threat than before? If we even see Klingons in the next movie.

#36 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

For me, this was only (I think) fourth Trek movie Ive seen in the theatres. Its actually the first time Ive ever seen Kirk's Enterprise on the big screen. I guess thats what made it speacial.

#37 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

OK, let me break it to the board. I may never be able to accept this crew. There its off my chest, and I am ready for the close minded comments. That being said, I have been posting on many boards with many of you for six years now, so the fact I don't like one flavor of ice cream, doesn't mean we can't hook up one another with a toy one another needs on another thread. I was pro Enterprise during a time when many wasn't.

Saying that, I think I can offer some insight on what this was lacking, even if the cast was Shat, Nimoy and Kelley clones from an earlier time.

One of those things is the PG-13 rating. They should have tried to get it as a PG film, as many viewers that might be buying the toys will not see the film and hence not buy the products. A guy I know won't let his six year old go, and that was when I was cutting my Trek teeth. This could easily backfire in toys sales.

#38 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ May 11 2009, 06:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also do not forget that Pike went from Capt to Adm. Even Rear Adm is no less then 3 jumps.

Captain
Fleet Captain
Commodore
Rear Adm
Vice Adm
Adm
Fleet Adm
C in C (Commander in Chief)

How do we know that Pike wasnt a "Rear" Admiral? In the military and also on Star Trek, its commoplace to refer to a Rear Admiral as a Admiral instead of Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral,etc. Data was referred to as Commander Data, even though he never made it past Lt Commander. The US Navy did away with Commodores so the next rank up from Captain is Rear Admiral, and would be commonly referred to as Admiral except in formal occasions.

#39 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:48 PM

The rank of Commodore was used by Starfleet until at least the 2270's. In 2366, Geordi La Forge insulted Centurion Bochra by calling him Commodore to which Bochra promptly corrected La Forge as to his proper title. (TNG: "The Enemy")

In The Menagerie, Pike is a Fleet Captain.

List of Starfleet Commodores

* Robert April
* Barstow
* Matt Decker (USS Constellation)
* Enwright (Space station officer)
* Maxwell Forrest (Earth Starfleet)
* Jos

#40 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:04 PM

In the original time line, Kirk graduated from Starfleet Academy as a Lt. Saviak in ST2 was still a cadet, but was granted Officer Rank of Lt. anyway as well. Even in this new time line, Kirk is still a genius, as Pike pointed out when he mentioned Kirk's aptitude tests. Even though the movie doesn't state so, it is possable that Kirk by his junior year had excelled enough that he held Lt. Rank, just like in the Prime Time Line. So he may have only skipped 2 ranks on his way to Captain, and it has always been assumed that in the Prime Time Line, he skipped a few ranks as well, since he made Captain in his early 30s. spock2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users