Photo

Just curious, what's everyone's opinion on JJ Star Trek?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

I'm not sure who you're addressing, HSBR, but to nail my colours to the mast:

TNG==DS9
TOS==Voyager
JjTrek
>big gulf<
Enterprise

I'd also like to apologise for my ramblings yesterday. This sunburn has entered the maddeningly itchy phase, and it is seriously compromising my concentration.

#22 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

What do I think of JJ Abrams Star Trek?

Brilliant in a word but I never just have a single word to say so let me say this:

For me JJ Abrams Star Trek movies have given me the Star Trek i've always wanted to see.

Abrams Star Trek is as much Star Trek as Deep Space Nine was as much The Original Series and that's how it should be and thats why I think JJ Abrams has not only respected Roddenberry's idea of what Star Trek should evolve to but has actually improved upon what has gone before. We had 18 years of Star Trek that was written, directed and produced by the same people that followed the same formula and honestly what I loved about TNG and DS9 was getting a little tiresome with Voyager and Enterprise. Trek needed a kick in the pants, it needed to be revitalised and it needed a new direction with a fresh pair of eyes to give us their idea of what Star Trek should be all about and that is why I think JJ Abrams Star Trek is 100% true to what Star Trek is all about.

I think JJ Abrams Star Trek is 100% true to the vision of Star Trek in that Trek in each of it's incarnations has always represented the real world at the time of being produced. TOS was a Star Trek for its time, TNG was a Trek for the 80's, DS9 was a Trek for the 90's and JJ Abrams Star Trek is most definitely a Star Trek for today's world. He's revitalised Star Trek, made it relevant to a much wider audience and I think thats something the franchise desperately needed. Will anyone grow up wanting to be a scientist because of these movies? You never know what kids may think when they go and see it, the world has changed but kids will always dream of being astronaughts so perhaps a kid may be dreaming of one day being Captain Kirk or Mr Spock. I think adults at the time of TOS's original rerun were probably thinking the same things many fans are thinking of now, that whilst a lot of people got the messages in TOS, many more thought of it as stupid. But just as kids and people were drawn to watch TOS, today people are drawn to these big movies, does everyone take something away from a movie they see? No, but some might and kids may just take away with them the aspiration of exploring space, captaining a space ship like the Enterprise or using intelligence and logic to overcome a problem they may face at school. Like all good entertainment, there are hidden moral messages if you want to find them, Star Trek: The Original Series pioneered that, and JJ Abrams 2009 movie continued that tradition.

I'll tell you a personal story, just after the 2009 movie my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, he died 6 months later and I'll tell you something, watching the 2009 Star Trek movie didn't only cheer me up, it made me realise that if Captain Kirk can loose his dad, feel like his whole life is worthless and then do something with his life then I could too. Now I have no intention of exploring space but it gave me the hope that things will get better and that rather than settling for a less than ordinary life, I could do something better. Beside's that, I just think that the sense of fun and adventure and excitement is back in Star Trek, it's not the same and that's the best thing about it.

I truly feel that these movies he's made are celebrations of all that is brilliant about Star Trek. He's shown not just the rest of the world but the fans that anyone intelligent enough can take this franchise and reinvent it in a way that it's still true to what's come before. Like TNG did for a generation of new fans in the 80's, it still honours the past but becomes so much more relevant to a generation that really either didn't care about Star Trek or didn't know about Star Trek.

Think what you will but I think JJ Abrams was a breath of fresh air, I think his movies are not only necessary for the franchise as a business but they truly do give Star Trek back it's creativity, its sense of adventure, it's no longer sterile or bland, it's vibrant, relevant and actually intelligent, we're not talking about Transformers type movies or GI:Joe's or even Star Wars. JJ Abrams did a really nice job with the 2009 movie in that the story whilst a summer blockbuster, was intelligent in the way it dealt with the family, the crew, the characters. I also find it silly when fans think of Star Trek before JJ Abrams as being so much better. As a fan I love it all, DS9 and TNG are my favourites but they were not always the most intelligent but they were relevant and they were driven by the well executed relationships between the characters. Abrams gave us a movie and looks to be giving us a sequel that is really very pleasing to watch and to see an audience enjoy these movies when they may have not really followed Star Trek before is on it's own worth angering a few short-sighted fans.

That being said for Star Trek to truly progress further the studio's, CBS and Paramount need to expand on what JJ Abrams has done either with Abrams overseeing other elements as a Producer or through a hand-picked team at Bad Robot or someone completely new or familiar to come in and embrace new technology and new media in doing new types of official content released worldwide online, through gaming, animation and other formats but also it needs to return to the TV screens and do episodes that are well executed on a decent US network that speak to a generation of people that have seen nothing like Star Trek before on TV either because they didn't enjoy the older series or that they were too young to know about TOS or TNG or that they've just never seen a good well rounded Sci-Fi show on TV before due to all the Vampire crap, reality TV and Zombies flooding the channels at the moment.

I've loved each and every incarnation. My Star Trek's being TNG and DS9 and whilst I may not like an animated series or a new TV series (although I think I will), it's not me or those who dismiss the Abrams era that Star Trek needs to convince anymore, its a totally new generation and for Star Trek to inspire them with whatever kids are inspired and challenged by in today's world.

I think Star Trek now because of Abrams is in such a great position, the new movie looks incredible and I can't wait to see what's next after Into Darkness in terms of new content through other forms of media (Animated Series I hope), the 50th Anniversary and a JJ Abrams produced and perhaps Directed Star Trek III.

As for my favourite Star Trek shows and movies prior to 2009:

TNG & DS9
First Contact
Generations
Insurrection
Enterprise
Nemesis
TOS
TOS Movies 2 - 4
Voyager
TOS Movie 6
TOS Movie 5

#23 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Mar 23 2013, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Abrams gave us a movie and looks to be giving us a sequel that is really very pleasing to watch and to see an audience enjoy these movies when they may have not really followed Star Trek before is on it's own worth angering a few short-sighted fans.

Got to be honest, don't agree with your generalisation here dude. :/ Otherwise, good post.

You do have a very valid reason for loving the new stuff, though. Star Trek has saw me through some really difficult times (as I'm sure it has for all of us), and especially when I was young, it really helped me put things in perspective - a unique thing to Star Trek, I feel. smile.gif

Thanks for all contributions so far guys (even if you didn't mention your favourite series!). Found an image on Reddit just now which I suppose is for me, a great way to sign off on this thread - http://imgur.com/839AxaH

#24 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:36 AM

I'd also like to point out that the list of favourite Trek's are in order of my favourite, just incase you didn't know. TNG and DS9 were my favourite Star Treks and are still my most loved Star Trek TV series. Very fond memories.

Got to be honest, don't agree with your generalisation here dude. :/ Otherwise, good post.

Thanks!

I hope I can elaborate on my point:

I'm a reader of Trekmovie.com and for every 10 positive comments on JJ Abrams Star Trek there's about 3 negative and these are what I'd call short-sighted fans. The fans who don't have a reason for not liking the new stuff and just hate it because it's not what they would consider Star Trek...

I'm not even sure what that means coming from so called fans. It's not Star Trek? Compared to what? Star Trek has been and is still with the JJ Abrams movies many things to many people and when its good, each Star Trek incarnation has always reflected the world we live in today and I think Abrams has done that amazingly well so although people may not like it, I don't really like their attitudes towards it. Its like they can't accept change when really change was needed. We are fans of a show that inspires people to respect each other and to look at things logically. Well if that were true, fans of Star Trek would look at this logically: JJ Abrams Star Trek's needed to happen, you (the fans) may not like the direction they've gone in but this is the world we live in today and this is the right Star Trek for that world.

I have a hard time believing that fans who say that this isn't Star Trek, are sure themselves with what Star Trek 'IS'

#25 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Well the only reason I haven't really answered that is because it would require a big post, and once I start, I'll be here typing it up and then reducing it for 2-3 hours. Bad for me, and no one really likes a huge wall of text. lol

Regardless, I feel Destructor captured pretty much what I feel. It's been interesting to me to see that - if this group is anything to go by - fans are mostly welcoming towards the new stuff. I'd prefer more of the old stuff, and maybe one day they'll return to that, but either way, I'm not unhappy really. I might not like the new stuff, but they are getting a hell of a lot of people into Star Trek again, and that's amazing. A few years ago, back when the Art Asylum's forum was still up, I NEVER thought I'd get an Enterprise-D, let alone a Defiant (and let's be honest, it's probably one of the next two). Interest in the franchise was at an all time low, and I remember for a while that BOTH my local sci-fi/comic shops had NO Star Trek items whatsoever. Needless to say, that has completely changed, and that is thanks to the new films, so I do 'like' them for that reason. smile.gif

#26 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Every time I put the 2009 film on, I'm taken aback by how good it is.

I focus on all the problems it has while I'm not watching it, but when I do put it on, usually to check some specific part, I find myself swept up in it - and usually watch to the end.

It's a well made movie, it's captivating.

But that doesn't excuse all of the problems.

When Quinto Spock says "Steal back the black hole device", I have to wonder "How did he know it was stolen?" (The writer's strike probably explains that - a failure of logic in the script that would otherwise have been revised out).

I don't buy the argument that JjTrek is as different to regular Star Trek as DS9 is to TOS, 1701, sorry.

JjTrek marks a deliberate distancing from the old, a rejection of what Star Trek was - which is an implicit statement of disdain. It might be very mild disdain, but it's there.
Star Trek was undeniably, and indisputably, about lofty ideals, from the beginning. Those ideals seem peppered into 2009 as window dressing, but the vast bulk of the film's message is no different from your average event movie.

Yes, I want Star Trek to be an event movie. But I want Star Trek to feel to new fans like the same educational, aspirational experience that it was for me, growing up. I learned a sh*tload from TNG. Vocabulary, science, philosophy... TNG made me the nerd I am today, for better or worse.

The reason I was educated is because I hung on every word and action in the show, and I did that because it felt real, and it felt plausible.

For all it's awesome cinematography and spirited performances, JjTrek is a succession of plot contrivances and plot holes, with abhorrent science, dumbed-down dialogue, and very odd character development. I can't see anyone believing in that Star Trek, let alone aspiring to it, or being educated by it... except perhaps as a gateway drug to the older canon of work...

Star Trek sure as hell needed a kick in the pants. The tail end of Voyager, and most of Enterprise were appalling. But I think the kicker targeted the wrong testicle when aiming at Star Trek's pants. In a time when the film Idiocracy is looking ever more likely as a vision of our future, an erudite, intelligent Star Trek with the bravery to buck the trend and make smart sexy is what we need more than ever. JjTrek takes the safe route of slotting in nicely with the Iron Mans of the modern film landscape - that's weak criticism, though - Iron Man is awesome.

I lost my Dad to cancer in 2010. I know how it can imbue events and circumstances with significance sometimes beyond their worth. If JJ Abrams' Star Trek helped you through that grief, then it must have had more soul than I gave it credit for.

I could write a lot more, but this is too long already. Despite my reams of text, I guess the take-away from this is that I didn't hate the last film, and I will be seeing the next one more than once, in all likelihood. I see the flaws, but, like on a DST ship, I can still love it in spite of them.

#27 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Mar 23 2013, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time I put the 2009 film on, I'm taken aback by how good it is.

I focus on all the problems it has while I'm not watching it, but when I do put it on, usually to check some specific part, I find myself swept up in it - and usually watch to the end.

It's a well made movie, it's captivating.

But that doesn't excuse all of the problems.

When Quinto Spock says "Steal back the black hole device", I have to wonder "How did he know it was stolen?" (The writer's strike probably explains that - a failure of logic in the script that would otherwise have been revised out).

Its a film with it's flaws sure but take any Star Trek episode, any Star Trek film and you can pick holes in the plots of each. These are pieces of entertainment and there will never come a time when Star Trek is "perfect".

I don't buy the argument that JjTrek is as different to regular Star Trek as DS9 is to TOS, 1701, sorry.

It would be great to hear you elaborate on why you think this because wasn't DS9 for it's time just as radical a departure from what we knew to be Star Trek? Wasn't TNG something that many fans argued about and exclaimed that this was not Star Trek? As I said, Star Trek is many things, to many people.

JjTrek marks a deliberate distancing from the old, a rejection of what Star Trek was - which is an implicit statement of disdain. It might be very mild disdain, but it's there.
Star Trek was undeniably, and indisputably, about lofty ideals, from the beginning. Those ideals seem peppered into 2009 as window dressing, but the vast bulk of the film's message is no different from your average event movie.

I don't buy the argument that "Star Trek" from JJ Abrams is no different from any other blockbuster movie because I think it's actually far more intelligent than most blockbusters. As I said though this is a Star Trek for the world we live in today. DS9 could be compared to Babylon 5 for example and any number of Star Trek episodes could be compared to any number of past Star Trek episodes or Stargate episodes and whilst Abrams Star Trek is definitely bigger in scale than anything that has come before I can not agree with your opinion that it somehow rejects everything that has gone before it, to say that is just baffling and really I think many fans who share your opinion are looking at Star Trek from 1966 - 2005 through rose tinted glasses, it wasn't without it's flops and awful scripts, bad dialogue and lack of morality.

How can you say that it rejects all that Star Trek was when Star Trek has been so many things prior to it? It's just another chapter in the tapestry.

This film completely respects and in many ways continues on from the past 40+ years of Star Trek by bringing in Leonard Nimoy, by respecting the look and feel of TOS (all be it with an actual budget this time) whilst bringing Star Trek into what audiences expect these days from films like Star Trek.

Yes, I want Star Trek to be an event movie. But I want Star Trek to feel to new fans like the same educational, aspirational experience that it was for me, growing up. I learned a sh*tload from TNG. Vocabulary, science, philosophy... TNG made me the nerd I am today, for better or worse.

The reason I was educated is because I hung on every word and action in the show, and I did that because it felt real, and it felt plausible.

For all it's awesome cinematography and spirited performances, JjTrek is a succession of plot contrivances and plot holes, with abhorrent science, dumbed-down dialogue, and very odd character development. I can't see anyone believing in that Star Trek, let alone aspiring to it, or being educated by it... except perhaps as a gateway drug to the older canon of work...

But no Star Trek movie has EVER done that. The only thing different from the new JJ Abrams movies and the 10 movies prior to them is the budget.

What you want is a new live action Star Trek TV series.

Star Trek sure as hell needed a kick in the pants. The tail end of Voyager, and most of Enterprise were appalling. But I think the kicker targeted the wrong testicle when aiming at Star Trek's pants. In a time when the film Idiocracy is looking ever more likely as a vision of our future, an erudite, intelligent Star Trek with the bravery to buck the trend and make smart sexy is what we need more than ever. JjTrek takes the safe route of slotting in nicely with the Iron Mans of the modern film landscape - that's weak criticism, though - Iron Man is awesome.

I'm slamming my head against my dest right now...

Star Trek fans are supposed to be enlightened souls - how else would we understand the message behind the action that Star Trek has presented us for over 45 years but time and time again I hear the same nonsense and this isn't a dig at you Destructor because I think many fans have just grown up expecting Star Trek to be done a certain way which is so uninspired and so blind-sighted and narrow minded.

Star Trek over the course of it's nearly 50 year history has been so many things, ground-breaking, pioneering, adventurous, intelligent, inspiring, action packed, exciting, funny, stupid, ridiculous, implausible, dumb-assed, weak scripted, laughable, amazing and that's just in Season 1 of TOS!

I find all this comparing the past to the present Star Trek to be so ridiculous. It's just a different team of people's idea on what Star Trek is to them.

It's arrogant presumption to think that the current Star Trek's are a lesser entity in this franchises history and quite clearly the rose tinted glasses are firmly on many fans noses.

If JJ Abrams' Star Trek helped you through that grief, then it must have had more soul than I gave it credit for.

We all have our favourite Star Trek's but to dismiss this version because to you it's not what you'd expect from Star Trek is discriminatory and I think if there's anything you really do need to take away from JJ Abrams Star Trek is that if it helped me, it may have helped others and inspired others beyond that it entertained millions and continues to do so through DVD, not everyone is going to become an astronaught because of Star Trek or a scientist or anything but people may be able to forget their real world troubles by watching Star Trek from whoever, JJ Abrams or Rick Berman or Gene Roddenberry, it doesn't matter one bit, it's just another guy's idea on what Star Trek should be and as far as I'm concerned Abrams got it so right and respected Star Trek so beautifully. Is it without flaws? No but neither has any incarnation of Star Trek been without its own flaws. This is just another chapter in history. Star Trek will live on because of these movies and will I'm sure become many other things beyond what we've already seen and loved.

#28 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

My two cents:

I appreciate the desire to breathe new and "fresh" [God I hate that word] ideas into an aging franchise. And while I feel like there were many aspects that were handled very gingerly with the last movie, I will say that I 100% reject the notion that you have to curtail everything to the lowest common "fart joke" and Michael Bay-esque "boobs and explosions" formula that most movies seem to be forced to adhere to these days.

I say make a movie that has a decent script: one that entices the viewer to engage and DIGEST aspects of what is happening on screen (as opposed to spoon feeding like most do these days). Add in cutting edge but believable FX (and FX's that will age well). Throw in trained and disciplined actors and cover it with intellectually composed musical scores and you will have a winner.

To cite precedence I say look at Downton Abbey. Granted it's a tv series, but the same formulaic success can be transferred to the big screen.

I eagerly await "into darkness" to see if they can redeem some of Trek's soul and mind that IMHO was missing from the last film.

#29 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Mar 24 2013, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We all have our favourite Star Trek's but to dismiss this version because to you it's not what you'd expect from Star Trek is discriminatory

Well, I simply didn't like it. That's not discriminatory, it's a matter of taste, that's all. I really loved Enterprise, for example, which has been criticized by numerous fans. There is no "this is right" or "this is wrong" when it comes to taste.

#30 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (Daysleeper @ Mar 25 2013, 04:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I simply didn't like it. That's not discriminatory, it's a matter of taste, that's all. I really loved Enterprise, for example, which has been criticized by numerous fans. There is no "this is right" or "this is wrong" when it comes to taste.

And thats cool, totally, but it's the fans who just moan about it "not being Star Trek" and that it's disrespectful of the mighty Gene Roddenberry vision, that really grabs my goose. I didn't like Voyager not because I thought it wasn't Star Trek because obviously it was, I just felt it was recycling the TNG formula too closely.

#31 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

But to me, JJ-Trek isn't Star Trek, at least not the Star Trek I like. And I totally believe that it was pretty disrespectful to GR's idea. But that's just my opinion. Sometimes I ask myself who is more intolerant, the people who don't like JJ-Trek or the people who like it and can't understand why someone wouldn't like it.

#32 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Daysleeper @ Mar 26 2013, 03:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But to me, JJ-Trek isn't Star Trek, at least not the Star Trek I like. And I totally believe that it was pretty disrespectful to GR's idea. But that's just my opinion. Sometimes I ask myself who is more intolerant, the people who don't like JJ-Trek or the people who like it and can't understand why someone wouldn't like it.

I've gotta be honest and there's no disrespect but I don't really understand your opinion.

Just out of interest, exactly what do you think JJ Abrams disrespected and why wasn't this Star Trek and without saying "Star Trek is to me..." what do you think Star Trek is?

I have a hunch... Star Trek could have been done any number of ways and there would have been those who would have declared that this isn't Star Trek or that it's disrespectful when actually I think perhaps the truth is more akin to the fact that some didn't want things to change when really they needed to.

#33 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Lets be honest Gene was interested in making money. I think maybe his "vision" has been idealized over the years through the fanbase but anyone's first goal in Hollywood is money. Everything else is secondary.

#34 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

If anyone doesn't know that, they need to read more about Roddenberry. For example, the invention of the IDIC by Gene Roddenberry caused friction between him and Leonard Nimoy, who saw it as a cheap ploy to sell replica merchandise to fans. He told great stories and shared great ideals, but his motivations were the same as anyone else. I have no problems believing that if he was here and had the budget that JJ has, with younger actors, he would have made movies like this.

#35 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (1701 @ Mar 26 2013, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've gotta be honest and there's no disrespect but I don't really understand your opinion.

Sorry, sometimes it's hard to convey a message or a meaning, especially when you're not talking in your own language... I guess what I meant was: Yes, there are people who didn't like the new movie. I'm one of them. Just accept that. That's all I'm saying. I always have the feeling that when I'm saying that I didn't like JJ-Trek, people who loved it don't understand why and cannot accept my opinion. Not every Star Trek fan has to like every Star Trek show or film, right?

Just out of interest, exactly what do you think JJ Abrams disrespected and why wasn't this Star Trek and without saying "Star Trek is to me..." what do you think Star Trek is?

The characters. I've said that many times before and will say it again: The characters were portrayed as mere caricatures of the originals, especially Chekov and Scotty. Also, Star Trek usually is about great stories, this movie was just a progression of action scenes. Even good action movies usually take their time to tell a story in between the action sequences, which makes those stand out more. So - in my opinion - JJ-Trek sucked as a movie in general. Star Trek also used to present the sci-fi-elements in a plausible manner, something this film lacked. But this is all my opinion, and this is exactly the point I was trying to make. I cannot claim to know what Star Trek is without saying "for me", no one can.

There was the argument that DS9 was so much different compared to TOS, but why were they able to blend both shows together so well (Trials and Tribbleations) without disrespecting what either show had to look like and be about? Same goes for every other show, in my opinion.

I have a hunch... Star Trek could have been done any number of ways and there would have been those who would have declared that this isn't Star Trek or that it's disrespectful when actually I think perhaps the truth is more akin to the fact that some didn't want things to change when really they needed to.

Funny, but a lot of people didn't like Enterprise because it differed too much from what they wanted Star Trek to be.
I guess I'm not much of a fan of movies that don't take their time to tell a decent story. There's nothing wrong with the way the old Trek-movies were told. They never were the mainstream popcorn action summer blockbuster movies. JJ-Trek wanted to be one. It just looked too much like Star Wars Ep. 1-3. And now show me one Star Wars fan who prefers 1-3 to the original albeit kind of outdated trilogy.

#36 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

My love of all things Trek dates back to around 1992 or so when I started watching season 5 of TNG. From that time on I watched (or at least tried to watch)each new episode when they were first run. We as Trek fans have explored the Alpha, and Beta quadrants as well as the Gamma and Delta quadrants. Sure, not every episode is going to be City on the Edge of Forever, Yesterday's Enterprise, etc. There is good and bad with all series and films.

I finally got around to watching all of TOS several years ago and I enjoyed it for what it was.

When I heard that Star Trek was coming back to the big screen and doing an origins story, I was one of the first to protest (being raised in the TNG era) but as more and more info trickled in the more accepting I became til I was looking forward to that film.

To everyone who dislikes JJ's Star Trek that's your right. Just please don't ruin things for those of us who happen to enjoy it.

#37 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

It's an unfortunate failing in human beings that when a piece of entertainment offends us on some level (as Enterprise offended my sense of continuity and respect for established history, or JJ Trek offended my sense of ... sense), that we feel the need to enlighten people who haven't noticed the offending aspects.

If it were an event in real life, there might be very good reason to do so - to warn people that this golden investment opportunity is actually a pyramid scheme, for example - but for entertainment... we just end up being buzz kills.

Different people like Star Trek for very different reasons. Star Trek is many things to many people. Some people are going to be less discerning about the parts that matter to me, and I'll find that galling... but I need to get over it.

Similarly, people like me discussing what galls us about the film is something that those whose priorities lie elsewhere in the fandom need to accept. We're all allowed to air our opinion.
Nothing short of a re-shot directors (a different director, preferably) cut will make me change my opinion of the film. Nothing short of a mind-meld will change 1701's.

Let's just amicably leave it at that, shall we?

#38 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Mar 26 2013, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's just amicably leave it at that, shall we?

Hear hear!

#39 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Not even a mind meld will change my mind. STAR TREK (2009) was a brilliant movie, one of the best movies in recent memory and a welcome edition to the franchise. Far more positives than negatives have come from that movie and I don't think I've really heard a justified negative opinion about this movie to think that people who dislike it have a point.

Did it have it's flaws? Sure, what Star Trek hasn't. Very much looking forward to Star Trek Into Darkness. wink.gif

#40 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

No one's trying to make you change your mind, dude, and Kor'Tar, I don't see anyone trying to ruin things for those of you who do like the new stuff. I made this thread out of pure curiosity as, like I've said, I've never spoken to fellow trekkies about it before. The only opinions I'd seen up to now, where those of the people who reply to the articles at Trek Movie, so I was keen to see what I felt were more neutral opinions about it.

HSBR, FHC, bit of an easy answer if you don't mind me saying guys. You're both absolutely right in that Roddenberry created a franchise, it's just that it's US lot who're still making his family rich! laugh.gif

As I said, I wasn't looking to question anyone on their opinions, I just wanted to know what those opinions were. Discussion has been good up until the point where people suddenly seemed to go on the defensive. I don't understand why as with me at least, there's nothing to defend! Some trekkies even like Star Wars, and I don't hate them - much! Everyone needs to loosen their collars, or perhaps more aptly, their 'jackets,' as it where. wink.gif tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users