10 replies to this topic

#1 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:31 PM

Continuing my strange reviewing spree, as suggested by Daysleeper, Cadet Howard (AKA Beverly Crusher, pre marriage) ! 

As you are probably aware, the original Cadet's came out in 1996, with the huge packaging, CD ROM, and I believe inflated price. From what I gather, these guys weren't too popular. Sure, they were good figures, but that doesn't always ensure success. Then, a year later, in 1997, they launched the remaining young TNG crew they never made in "Warp Factor 3", AKA the united federation of Star Trek action figures. 

At this point Playmates decided to collaborate all Star Trek 4.5 inchers into one unified banner, the warp factor waves. Cost saving measure? Last ditch attempt to resurrect sales? Who knows, what we did end up with is six waves in this style, five warp factors and one retail exclusive, made up of TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and these Cadet's, expanded universe if you like. 

From what I've read from the Wayback machine and various other sources, these figures where met with such ferocious hatred (due to them taking up production space) by Trek fans, and were disliked so much by the overall consumer, they dropped quicker than Riker on Risa and ended up on sale and years later ended up in various discount stores here in the UK at least. Even today, these last three Cadet's are some of the cheapest figures money can buy on the second hand market.

Cadet Howard, the one to be reviewed as you may have cunningly surmised, is one of these last three, along with Data and Troi, lacking the CD ROM, to be released.

So really, is this figure deserving of the negative reputation?  

15608121927_66942f1504_z.jpg

A front, boxed view. I always liked and didn't like the warp factor boxes. I like them because I like the design, very nicely done with the curved side, the logo, and the cardboard insert carried over in concept from the cadet's line.

Why I don't like it was because seeing this box signifies the end of Playmates reign, if you know what I mean.

15793294725_0e6585fc0b_z.jpg

A close up. Nice to see what your getting, not covered up by a card or an insert.

15607471189_1010f564e9_z.jpg

A back view. These warp factor cards prevent any strange goings on, however, the picture of Bev is of the prototype, much like the other Cadet's so far it's painted more than the real article

15769612786_d3374c3952_z.jpg

Her bio. Like the other Cadet's, it's constructed using info from various episodes (Sub Rosa and The Arsenal of Freedom to name a couple).

15769652966_7530ae2498_z.jpg

Her accessories. Full disclosure time, her Bio sensor is MIA, it's a thin, tiny, wrist attachment. When I find it, I'll post an additional picture.

Anyway, from left to right, Radiation mask, sample analyser, and a medical tool belt, which...

15608174917_9615514962_z.jpg

...has a removable, er, thing. I use it as a cortical stimulator or something akin to that. 

15173426104_1f7b8e6288_z.jpg

A front view. Nice detailing on the suit, particularly around the legs. The black strap linked to the tool on herself isn't movable, it's completely static.

15608492330_a16988cd3c_z.jpg

A close up. From various angles, she looks, for lack of a better word, startled, but from others, like this angle, the likeness is pretty good.

15793339455_c6fdb58cbf_z.jpg

A back view. I never realised the figure had a pony tail till I opened her. The detail continues around the back.

15607512119_7fe603d239_z.jpg

Cadet Howard with the mask and belt. It seems the Cadet's have universally useless equipment, Worf's Jell-O weapons and white night reconnaissance outfit, now this radiation mask...I think, in a disaster, you'll have more luck with a UV light source or Data's tea set for radiation protection.

Would I recommend her?

Yes, it's a good figure, you can get her cheap, and it crosses one of the list of cadet's to get. However, if you don't like the Cadet's, or Beverley Crusher, you may not like her as much.

Price?

Universally worth it. This one cost £7, not bad in my opinion, and everywhere I've been seems to have her for quite cheap.

Playablity?

What exactly do you do with a Cadet? If you keep to the laws of physics, not much. However, she may meet Cadet Picard...I'll leave it to your imagination.

One last thing, Bev's numbered 000,000. Is that possible?

Any suggestions are always welcomed!

#2 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:40 PM

Hey,

Great review as always. Here's a strange question for you. How are her hips? I've had 2 of these figures and both if them had dodgy right hips that broke off once you started turning them.

Since I live in the UK, I was wondering if we had a dodgy batch or I was just unlucky?

Keep up the great work.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#3 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

Great review. I must say I love the cadet figures, mostly because I use them for customizing. What I found best about them is that all of them (except Data, understandably) have gotten new head sculpts. While Worf's and Geordie's may not be the best sculpts when it comes to likeness, I still think Playmates did a great job trying to imagine what our heroes would've looked like at Starfleet academy.

Oh, and to answer Matty's question: I have 2 of these figures, and their hips are just fine.

#4 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:18 PM

Oh, and to answer Matty's question: I have 2 of these figures, and their hips are just fine.

Well thanks for checking. I guess I'm just unlucky. They're all in storage now anyway so no problems.

Take care,

Matty-lad

#5 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:05 AM

You know what's funny? I also have 2 cadet Troi figures, and both of them have 1 wonky biceps swivel each that doesn't work...

#6 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

this likeness reminds of Sissy Spacek in Carrie.  :lol:

#7 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:14 PM

Because of the ponytail, I'm going to use my spare Cadet Howard as Crusher in rescue outfit. I plan on removing the skirt off a full Klingon B'Elanna Torres and painting it all black. Should turn out ok if I ever get round to it.

Take care,

Matty-lad

#8 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:38 AM

@Matty: That is a great idea. I might even steal it. :D

#9 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:20 AM

Matty-lad

Thanks about my reviews! No problems here with mine (now saying this, I'll probably find that the leg's fell of or something tonight), though I've had four Cardassian Seska arms break and two Paris arms, maybe it's some dodgy batches of certain figures?

And like Daysleeper, I may "borrow" that idea if it's OK! I've done Picard, Data, and I'm looking at doing Riker (though he never appeared on screen in one of the stealth suits), and I've been considering how to make Crusher for awhile.

Daysleeper

I certainly agree! Great figures, and great execution of them with all the stuff they came with, they're really not deserving of the bad name they tend to get.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I've got a special edition figure coming up tonight sometime, plus tomorrow I'll post another Cadet review. Any preferences on what to review?

#10 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:17 PM

Matty-lad

Thanks about my reviews! No problems here with mine (now saying this, I'll probably find that the leg's fell of or something tonight), though I've had four Cardassian Seska arms break and two Paris arms, maybe it's some dodgy batches of certain figures?

And like Daysleeper, I may "borrow" that idea if it's OK! I've done Picard, Data, and I'm looking at doing Riker (though he never appeared on screen in one of the stealth suits), and I've been considering how to make Crusher for awhile.

Daysleeper

I certainly agree! Great figures, and great execution of them with all the stuff they came with, they're really not deserving of the bad name they tend to get.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I've got a special edition figure coming up tonight sometime, plus tomorrow I'll post another Cadet review. Any preferences on what to review?

Of course I have no problem with anyone using the idea for the Crusher figure. I'll be interested to see what it looks like since I won't have time soon to do it myself.

As for the next review, how about Troi? She was a good figure with an interesting outfit (Wrath Of Khan anyone????)

Take care,

Matty-lad

#11 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:59 PM

Thanks, it may be a while before I make her myself, I've been going to get paints for the last few months after I ran out, but my hobby shop's closed, permanently, so I'm looking at alternative methods of acquiring the stuff I need. Meanwhile, I'm painting tricorder buttons to pass the time...

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I haven't got Troi just yet! I'm looking at buying her, Data, and a non production error Riker at the this very moment with some of my other remaining figures.

Essentially, Cadet wise, I have Geordi or Picard head on a Riker body left to review, beyond that, pretty much anything else bar roughly 19-21 figures from Playmates run, as long as you don't mind an out of box view!

I believe I have boxed pictures of Klingon Be'lanna, Hugh, Season 1/2 Data, a Talosian, an Andorian, half Borged Seven, most of the mail aways in the unique packaging (except Alien Geordi) and a TMP Sulu to hand, plus the review of a Toyfair exclusive that I'm working on at the moment.

(And it's not just you, I think with some modifications and a new paint job, Troi would be perfect for an away team TWOK Saavik)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users