Photo

Torchwood is coming back!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

I just read today that Torchwood (spin-off of Dr Who) is coming back this July to the Starz network. Captain Jack is back with new team mates and a very interesting story line. This is pretty cool news. I love Torchwood.

article

#2 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

Awesome.

Maybe Scificollector will get out a new action figure assortment & finally release Owen!

#3 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:34 AM

Do you imagine that this will be anything remotely like the Torchwood that you love?

#4 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

I do. from everything I have read and seen about it so far would suggest nothing otherwise.

#5 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

It may not be exactly like the original Torchwood, but Russell Davies is involved, and I don't think he would have agreed to the project if it didn't move the franchise in a direction he didn't want it to move in.

#6 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

Well I have always seen Torchwood as an ever evolving show. So for me this will be another evolution of it. Captain Jack is back and personally he made the show for me.

#7 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:18 AM

Torchwood is an extremely camp show. It's producer has been seen as having quite a gay agenda - do you see that continuing?

#8 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:08 AM

Listen. All I know is that I like the show and am looking forward to it coming back. What I am not going to do is get goaded into a discussion on it's political or social undertones. That's not what I started the thread for.

#9 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:57 AM

You may have started the thread, but you don't own it and you can't control the way people respond. That's the first rule of the internet. It was a serious question aimed at someone I thought was adult enough to respond in kind. If you're not that kind of person then I'll welcome a cultural debate with someone adult enough to handle it.

#10 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

Do you really ned to turn every thread into your personal soapbox to stand on and debate everything? Jeez. Back to the ignore list you go.

#11 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:49 AM

Do what you want JMW, that's fine by me, I'm sure I can handle being on your ignore list. Just don't interpret a view that doesn't accord with yours as someone being on a "soapbox", it's about discussion. rolleyes.gif

For the benefit of other people who might want to parlay, I'm not a fan of Torchwood one way or the other, but it's been the subject of debate on other sites and I thought it would be interesting to get other people's takes on the subject. For what it's worth I'm a Liberal, broadminded gal for those who didn't already know that, so this isn't a gay-bashing topic, it's about what people's views are with regard to how moving the production from Cardiff in the UK might impact on a programme that has been hugely inclusive and popular. Will conservative values affect the show's content? After all Captain Black is something of a libertine spirit. Will Russell Davies find his wings clipped? On other Davies has been criticised for having a "gay agenda" and making his output increasingly camp. Some people are uncomfortable with this and others have said that it could end up limiting a show's appeal.

Here's a couple of linky to a UK article on this subject:

http://www.independe...ord-805255.html

More information on what the new Torchwood is going to be:

Torchwood returns with international flavour

The third series of Torchwood was shown on consecutive nights Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood will return for a fourth series with a more international flavour, the BBC said.

The 10-part series will be funded by BBC Wales, the corporation's commercial arm - BBC Worldwide - and US cable network Starz Entertainment.

John Barrowman will return as Captain Jack alongside Eve Myles, as Gwen.

While previous series have been recorded in Cardiff, new storylines will include locations in the US and around the world.

I'm not so fond of "camp" per se because I see it as a regressive return to the days when campness was only - barely - acceptable public face for the gay community, even while I accept that it is a part of that spectrum. I didn't like Torchwood because I found it rather silly, but then I prefer my sci-fi serious and not full of daft monsters. personally, I feel that if Davies', quiet laudable, desire to raise the profile of gay characters, and so-called alternative sexualities, is going to be based on stereotyping then it is likely to fail, even if most of Torchwood's diverse audience feel safer with it than with the idea that gay people could be less defined in personality, behaviour and outward appearances than some of the more outspoken gay rights pundits normally project.

The other issue connected to how a Davies show might go down in the US is the fact that he is openly an Atheist. Will giving the show an "international flavour" being a limiting factor?

Anybody else with a view on this please feel free to pitch in!

#12 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

I gotta say, I can't stand John Barrowman - Over acted showbiz queen. Each to their own with Torchwood but, as well as Doctor Who, I just really didn't like Russell T. Davies style - far too camp for camp's sake. Doctor Who under Moffat, whilst still not brilliant and still classed by me as kids TV, is far more interesting to watch.

I'm fine with the gay thing, all power to it but with both Torchwood and in a different way with Doctor Who, Davies just soaked it in irritating homosexual undertones that were more Katy Perry "I can see your peacock cock" than they were well written pieces of Sci-Fi - I mean, Russell, we know your gay, we don't need to be reminded watching what you'd call Sci-Fi.

It continues to baffle the mind when SFX goes on and on about Doctor Who - It's doing nothing remotely different or better to that degree than Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager or even Enterprise hadn't been doing for decades.

#13 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Jan 28 2011, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I gotta say, I can't stand John Barrowman - Over acted showbiz queen. Each to their own with Torchwood but, as well as Doctor Who, I just really didn't like Russell T. Davies style - far too camp for camp's sake.

I agree with you, I can't abide Barrowman because he's so plastic and for a while he was all over British TV like a rash! He's very popular and the reason for it evades me, because I'm a fan of other camp stars such as Julian Clary and Graham Norton because they're plainly intelligent comics, but there's something cheesy about Barrowman. I thought Doctor Who began very well indeed but became too much a like cabaret in the end and it put me off a bit, especially when the likes of Kylie get in on the act. I've nothing against Kylie, but not on DW! I stopped watching after Tennant left the show anyway. I watched the first episode of Torchwood but found it quite unwatchable because if Barrowman who seems - more than anything - to have been a character lifted out of Blackadder the Third!

Doctor Who under Moffat, whilst still not brilliant and still classed by me as kids TV, is far more interesting to watch.

I can't comment on that - but I guess I'd probably enjoy it more. To me, DW always was kids' TV that adults could enjoy - I think Davies took it too far in the adult direction at times. I don't think any long-running and much loved TV franchise should become a vehicle for one man's sexual agenda about his own sexual orientation.

I'm fine with the gay thing, all power to it but with both Torchwood and in a different way with Doctor Who, Davies just soaked it in irritating homosexual undertones that were more Katy Perry "I can see your peacock cock" than they were well written pieces of Sci-Fi - I mean, Russell, we know your gay, we don't need to be reminded watching what you'd call Sci-Fi.

I agree - totally. I've had lots of discussions with gay Star Trek fans about the lack of gay characters in the show, and the one thing they have all said - to a man (because I don't know any lesbian trekkers) - is that they would appreciate at least some acknowledgment that homosexuals will exist in the 24th century, but they certainly don't want a camp guy with an interest in interior decor mincing around the bridge. What they certainly don't want is a gay character defined by his sexual orientation but just a regular guy in a same sex relationship - and even that not to be a storyline. I think what I'm trying to say here is that I don't think the overt campiness of Davie's ouvre exactly serves even the gay community as much as he thinks it does. I'm inclined to think that people are more impressed with his verve than the ouput it creates. I think your Katy Perry comparison is apposite because it's more cabaret than it is reaching into the actual issues round the spectrum of human sexuality. It's basically a non-threateneing, quite a lighthearted treatment of a more serious subject that is all froth and no substance - and basically, as you say, very little to do with Science Fiction.

It continues to baffle the mind when SFX goes on and on about Doctor Who - It's doing nothing remotely different or better to that degree than Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager or even Enterprise hadn't been doing for decades.

I think SFX battons on to it because it's a popular show, whereas TV Star Trek has had its day - at least for the time being - much as I agree with what you're saying.

#14 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

I'm really looking forward to the series returning. I don't think we'll see too many things change, especially with it showing on Starz. Clearly they did some shopping around before landing there. I've met both Captain Jack and Ianto a few years back at SDCC. Both of them were very nice guys. My wife was over the moon and even though he wasn't supposed to Barrowman personalized his photo for us. Missed out on meeting Tosh, but the one thing about SDCC is you can't be everywhere at once.

#15 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:39 AM

Gay agenda???

Did I really just read that?

It seems to be a point in Doctor Who that gay people are normal. That strong intelligent women are normal. That people of all ethnicities work together....& that's normal!

If his 'agenda' was to normalise more enlightened beliefs on minority groups, then good for him. Kids are never too young to learn tollerance.

So why don't people go on about Davies 'feminist agenda'?

Or his 'racial agenda'?

#16 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Feb 4 2011, 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gay agenda???

It seems to be a point in Doctor Who that gay people are normal. That strong intelligent women are normal. That people of all ethnicities work together....& that's normal!

If his 'agenda' was to normalise more enlightened beliefs on minority groups, then good for him. Kids are never too young to learn tollerance.

Or his 'racial agenda'?

Because they are just trying to flame and get an argument going and really dont care what subject matter does it. Best to just ignore the trolls. They will crawl back under their bridges soon enough.

#17 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Feb 4 2011, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gay agenda???

Yes, you did! smile.gif It's been a talking point in the UK and amongst some members of the geek community in general. That's why I suggested it as a topic for discussion here because it is relevant. I'm interested in what you all think about it.

It's normal to me too, but isn't it interesting that Davies' oeuvre is considerably ahead of Star Trek in this respect? I read an article very recently which featured Brannon Braga talking about why gay characters never made it into Star Trek. It was certainly talked about at the time, but it never happened.

I agree. But maybe there are some adults who could use the lesson more! wink.gif

Or his 'racial agenda'?

I dunno, but if I had to hazard a guess, it's because feminism and racial agendas have been around for longer and perhaps are no longer such a talking point. Besides, if you say "Gay Agenda" then it stirs up indignation and paranoia amongst those who find gay issues a challenge perhaps?

#18 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Feb 4 2011, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because they are just trying to flame and get an argument going and really dont care what subject matter does it. Best to just ignore the trolls. They will crawl back under their bridges soon enough.

There's no argument here except for your entirely disproportionate reaction to a perfectly legitimate topic that is relevant to both Russel T.Davies and his creation Torchwood, therefore would you like me to show you back to your bridge so that you can crawl back under it, because there's been no "trolling" here on my part, nor on the part of 1701 (if that is to whom you are also referring); just opinions and there is nothing wrong with that.

#19 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

Feel free to debate as much as you guys like as long as you keep it civil. This would have been a pretty boring thread if we all had come in here and said 'Oh yeah. Torchwood is coming back.' If we aren't allowed to have a discussion in a forum ... which is FOR discussing topics ... we might as well close the place down.

An opinion opened up the thread, others offered there's. That's how a discussion works.

#20 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

There's a big difference between a debate between fans of a show and a couple of nitwits trying to antagonize other members. but that's fine, if no one wants step up and reign these trouble makers in I won't say another word. You guys just keep letting people take over threads and bring nothing but argumentative negative BS in here. Congrats. You gave run off another long time loyal member in favor of keeping around these trouble making windbags.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users