• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#41 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

Wow, I'm really surprised. But actually quite thrilled that while it has been pretty quiet on the DST front, they seem to be just as invested in Star Trek.

The thing that boggles my mind is how the heck can two lines that are pretty similar, take on Star Trek and both succeed? Surely the sheer amount of product DST have put out suggest that the line that McFarlane puts out is kind of errr... irrelevant?

#42 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

My guess also is that DST have been given the go ahead to expand into the Kelvin Universe. I think if memory serves me, they had planned to release a one off 2009 Enterprise back in 2009. This could be the second ship as if work was already done for it, the turn around time could be quite quick.

#43 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

I'd be so damn happy to get a DST 2009 Enterprise. I know they'd do a good job on it.

But I know that it's probably not what Zach is talking about.

#44 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

I just want to know if this environment of competition will settle the debate of whether you can hold water with the oft heard statement that "nobody wants to buy Star Trek".  I guess if McFarlane produces a lot of product, we will all just assume it was the lack of TV series that caused our void of product through the past few years...but if that's true then I would expect to see DST ramp up to meet this sudden demand as well...

#45 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:36 PM

Macfarlane and DST figures are completely different style wise so I welcome that. DST made some good stuff but are kind of dated. I still have a few that I am happy with but am more than happy to get a new offering. I am Happy that DST does seem to have "maybe" started listening to customers and is adding more articulation to their select figures. We will see how that goes. I also hope that with another player on the field DST starts to realize they need to be a little more forthcoming with their customers and maybe even try and get product out in a timely fashion.
And even though space is a concern, if DST did a 2009 Enterprise or even the new A. I would have to buy one.
Overall I think it is a good time to be a Star Trek collector. I see lots of good and different stuff coming for all fans.

#46 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

The 2009 Enterprise, the Beyond refit, and the new A would all be ships I'd purchase. 

#47 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

I'm also happy DST can continue and am really anxious to know what that second ship is. Can't wait for the Reliant and variants too!

#48 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Just regarding ships alone, that makes me happy. :D

#49 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:45 AM

Until I see otherwise from DST (i.e., new shots of the Reliant, TNG Phaser), I'm going to assume that their line is pretty much finished. Zach's gone AWOL, their Trek showcase at Toy Fair was dismal at best, and this forum has become a ghost town. Most of the posts that I see anymore are purely speculative or are more wish lists. That part saddens me, since I've participated in this group as far back as the old Art Asylum forums.
There will always be a company who wants to profit from Star Trek. And with manufacturing processes nowadays, companies can produce some gorgeous sculpts. DST's Refit releases have done nothing but disappoint me, sadly, and they never produced a Defiant, which is kind of soul crushing. I did enjoy several of their releases, but I feel like I was always left wanting or disappointed in the end.
I will point out some sad, but amusing irony. From where I'm sitting, it looks like the Romulan Bird of Prey could be, once again, the final death throes of Playmates' ship line successor. Well, at least their Klingon Bird of Prey was on point. I do love my H.M.S. Bounty, even if it doesn't include "Out of control and blind as a bat."

#50 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:50 AM

I think we can all agree that while it's good news that DST arent dropping Star Trek, with the news that McFarlane is coming onboard the good ship Trek, that Diamond Select have to up their game when it comes to delivering not just consistent quality, but also a steady stream of new product that grabs Star Trek fans attention.

Also, I know this isn't limited to DST, but enough with the secrecy on product that has been approved by the licensor and is a toy of a ship or figure 30 plus years old.

#51 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:34 AM

Until I see otherwise from DST (i.e., new shots of the Reliant, TNG Phaser), I'm going to assume that their line is pretty much finished. Zach's gone AWOL, 

Zach just posted on another thread and confirmed DST isn't out of the game!

and yes, I agree with you 1701D, more companies making product is a good thing... and I think many people have asked for this!

#52 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

He posted in this thread, on the previous page. 

#53 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

I'm thrilled to hear DST are still in the game. I love their style and attention to detail.

As a ship-guy, McFarlane's seemingly character-focused entry to the license doesn't enthuse me, but I was worried it might push DST off the table, and I'd be left with no affordable electronic ships!

I have a steady job now, and am "earning more", so I guess once I'm done replacing all the computer equipment that decided to up-and-die on me lately, I might start to notice a little more disposable income lying around. Phaser and Reliant, here I come!

#54 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

He posted in this thread, on the previous page. 

You are correct. Zach's claims are indeed interesting, to say the least. I'll certainly keep an open mind.

#55 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

So now that we know a 2nd ship is on the way who wants to throw the floor open to wild speculation.

#56 mynameschris

mynameschris

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:34 AM

So now that we know a 2nd ship is on the way who wants to throw the floor open to wild speculation.

I'm going to say I'm hoping its Voyager based on nothing other than I wanted the Playmates version in the 90's, always played with it in Toys R Us but never got it so a DST version would be a first day pre-order!

#57 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:30 AM

Federation: Defiant, Voyager, Enterprise-C, Nebula class, Grissom, Prometheus.

Alien: K't'inga, Vor'cha, Warbird, Galor, Borg shape.

This is DST, the company who chose to make the Romulan Bird of Prey before any of those other alien ships I listed, so as to what we're getting, I have no idea! My money says it's between the Defiant and C, and if you forced me to choose one, I really couldn't. The DS9 documentary was a massive success, so maybe they'd want to ride the wave of that - however, they know people want to finish off the Enterprise lineage. Then again, maybe it's Discovery, or the JJ-prise (only just considered that it might be something from their newly expanded license...).

Defiant
Enterprise-C
Enterprise-JJ
Discovery

^ One of them. :lol:

#58 Oxnard Montalvo

Oxnard Montalvo

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:55 AM

I was more intrigued by his comment that they're still "trying to fit all the electronics" into the TNG phaser.... Could this mean an adjustable power meter? I hope so!

#59 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:08 AM

The second ship I'm going to wager is either the 2009 Enterprise or a NEW refit USS Enterprise from Wrath of Khan.

#60 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

Im hoping it'll either be Voyager or the Defiant.  At this point Im hoping for one of the other hero ships.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users