Photo

Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#301 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 07:46 AM

At this point I'm like: What do they have against the Reliant? I guarantee that would have sold better in the long run, even if it wasn't done especially well.

There's only so many times various companies can do the Galaxy-class.

#302 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 09:25 PM

At this point I'm like: What do they have against the Reliant? I guarantee that would have sold better in the long run, even if it wasn't done especially well.

There's only so many times various companies can do the Galaxy-class.

I could see it doing well as a crowd funded thing but for Playmates I think its a bit niche at this moment.  I would say that the original constitution is played out at this moment not so much the galaxy class.

He said that, while the ships and role play items have sold well, the action figures have not. Therefore, the company is assessing how best to move forward. 

Hmm I would have assumed the figures would have sold better.  As a ship fan Im happy though.  I would say do the Enterprise-G SNW Enterprise or Voyager-A at this moment.

#303 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 06:56 AM

A new ship would be great, but its not going to happen. Gotta keep remaking old shit over and over again. 

#304 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 07:17 AM

Are they even doing the SNW Enterprise, do we know?

#305 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 10:37 PM

Are they even doing the SNW Enterprise, do we know?

Not that Im aware of.  If memory serves me they said they were working on a Protostar though with Prodigy out (DAMN shame too.) I don't know if we'll see that.  I suggested Voyager-A as that season 2 clip showed it as the new hero ship.

#306 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:41 AM

The pace of PM getting stuff out the door seems actually slower than it was in the 1990s, even though prototyping and production industry-wide is itself now much faster. 

Not too surprised that figures aren't selling well -- for the most part the company has done characters that had been done before, at least in TOS and TNG lines. I don't know what else they could do that would actually sell well, but the SNW crew might have a shot at being somewhat in demand.

#307 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:39 PM

I would definitely buy SNW, Picard Season 3(especially) and I really want Lower Decks! Got one kinda a spoiler for those who havent seen the SNW Season 2 Finale.but Spock encounters this on the bridge of Pikes girlfriends ship. I dont mind retreads on old previously released 90s figures but those should maybe be boxed sets of completed crews or as an exclusive or something. That way they could at least get some contemporary stuff out in stores.

#308 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 07:12 PM

Give us a SNW Enterprise for gods sake, the show has clearly been a success, as has Lower Decks, but god forbid you make something other than TOS or TNG.

#309 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 October 2023 - 09:43 AM

Found her at Target today, shes fucking awful.

https://imgur.com/a/pCYGsN7

#310 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 October 2023 - 08:22 PM

Found her at Target today, shes fucking awful.

https://imgur.com/a/pCYGsN7

Its both a step forward and a step backward at the same time.  I mean it looks like a half finished prototype. Its nice that some of the details that were decals on the 90s version are molded in this one but the paint apps on the secondary hull are non-existent.

#311 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 04 October 2023 - 08:56 PM

Super lazy from the communicator review I just saw......even has a TNG sound clip on it. Wtf

Can you link to that?

#312 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 07:22 AM

One of the biggest hurdles to every "new" Star Trek line is overcoming consumer skepticism.

I'm sure there are collectors who only want a main character but in my experience, most want a complete bridge crew. If the manufacturer doesn't show a clear path to that, collectors wait and sales suffer.

Given that a detailed, 1/18 scale, super-articulated figure currently retails for about $25, a boxed set with a 7-member bridge crew would be pricey. There's got to be a way to make these little plastic people more affordable. 

#313 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 08:14 AM

I found two people on Reddit, who got new PM Enterprise-Ds starting 10 days ago. One from South Texas bought it in Target 8 days ago. Unfortunately, the only photo they have posted is this one:

072is0zjpbqb1.jpeg?width=4032&format=pjp

EDIT: Target listing

#314 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 09:04 AM

Bad old Facebook has the goods once again:

User Steve Habisch on Facebook has posted a bunch of photos of his own ship:

Overview

yfu0gOr.jpg
jGq7N4n.jpg
IgkUrDG.jpg
1h1QFLz.jpg
eab2XAy.jpg

It looks just as bad as I feared, and just as good as I hoped in some areas.
The deflector is bizarre. It's like they conceptualised it upside-down. To my surprise, there is a very faintly molded torpedo tube in the neck, but without the long indent stretching back along the sides of the neck. The empty slot where the main impulse engine should be persists. And the lack of ventral phaser array on the saucer is bloody egregious.

That said, the overall shape is good. It feels less like a pudgy toddler than the 1993 one, but still evokes that toy a lot. The nacelles are maybe a bit long, but I'm not sure. I like the level of detail on the sculpted lines and greeblies throughout, though here and there they get stuff a little wrong or things are missing. It's a solid attempt, it just needed a few more QA passes on the sculpt. Paramount should have caught a lot of the issues I mentioned above in their approval reviews.

The buttons are quite unobtrusive in that location and I like that they moved away from the rounded ones on the prototype. These stand out far less. We'll have to wait for video reviews to find out what the sounds and light effects are like.

The paint app is spotty. I think the upper saucer looks great - I particularly like the alternating "lit/unlit" windows. That sprinkling of bright and dark windows is such a hallmark of the Galaxy Class. The colour choice on the phaser strip is weird and the lifeboats shouldn't be yellow, but somehow it works. The lower saucer is unacceptable. No paint whatsoever! Combined with the missing phaser strip, it gives the impression of an unassembled kit part.

The back of the neck suffers similarly, a combo of no paint and the missing impulse engine. The secondary hull has a different approach to windows - the dark ones are paint apps and the "lit" ones are moulded... but there are alignment issues, and where the paint machine was occluded (I assume) by the cobrahead, there are no dark windows around the deflector.

Size Comparisons

q8pHfnz.jpg

It's smaller than the preview photo with the hand in frame indicated. It looks around the same size as the 1993 version compared to the DST model here.

N0ihIId.jpg

The recent TOS Enterprise released is a good bit longer than it.

Lighting & Saucer Separation

KIgoXJS.jpg

The deflector does light up.

oQw0zVE.jpg

The nacelle lighting looks nice and even, and I think they have a second LED for the Bussard Collectors.

As feared, the cobra-head of the Secondary Hull is flat and blank. I don't get the impression that the Saucer has any play features.

Another thing - this is supposed to be the series-run Enterprise-D and to evoke the 1992/3 release of the same ship. So... why does it have the Generations-onward trapezoid-backed insignia as a stand!?

SO many head-scratchers!

I kind of want to get this and design and print plant-on parts for the missing phaser strip and impulse engine - and a replacement deflector piece, ugh!

I have rehosted all the photos I have found so far [url=https://imgur.com/a/HfHBUPy] in an Imgur album. There are a good few more there than I have posted here.

#315 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 09:14 AM

Bad old Facebook has the goods once again:

User Steve Habisch on Facebook has posted a bunch of photos of his own ship:
yfu0gOr.jpg
jGq7N4n.jpg
IgkUrDG.jpg
1h1QFLz.jpg
eab2XAy.jpg

It looks just as bad as I feared, and just as good as I hoped in some areas.
The deflector is bizarre. It's like they conceptualised it upside-down. To my surprise, there is a very faintly molded torpedo tube in the neck, but without the long indent stretching back along the sides of the neck. The empty slot where the main impulse engine should be persists. And the lack of ventral phaser array on the saucer is bloody egregious.

That said, the overall shape is good. It feels less like a pudgy toddler than the 1993 one, but still evokes that toy a lot. The nacelles are maybe a bit long, but I'm not sure. I like the level of detail on the sculpted lines and greeblies throughout, though here and there they get stuff a little wrong or things are missing. It's a solid attempt, it just needed a few more QA passes on the sculpt. Paramount should have caught a lot of the issues I mentioned above in their approval reviews.

The buttons are quite unobtrusive in that location and I like that they moved away from the rounded ones on the prototype. These stand out far less.

Size Comparisons

q8pHfnz.jpg

It's smaller than the preview photo with the hand in frame indicated. It looks around the same size as the 1993 version compared to the DST model here.

N0ihIId.jpg

The recent TOS Enterprise released is a good bit longer than it.

Lighting & Saucer Separation

KIgoXJS.jpg

The deflector does light up.

oQw0zVE.jpg

The nacelle lighting looks nice and even, and I think they have a second LED for the Bussard Collectors.

As feared, the cobra-head of the Secondary Hull is flat and blank. I don't get the impression that the Saucer has any play features.

I have rehosted all the photos I have found so far in an Imgur album. There are a good few more there than I have posted here.

Those are mine, literally the same as I posted here.

#316 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 09:26 AM

Oh sorry man! I hadn't checked the rest of the forum.

I think I had the last page in the thread open.

#317 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 10:22 AM

Any know what sound files they used for the new"D"?

#318 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 10:25 AM

Facebook group post that has video of the communicator sounds, including the TNG sound lol

https://www.facebook...mibextid=Nif5oz

#319 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 10:40 AM

Any know what sound files they used for the new"D"?

Sounds and saucer separation

https://youtube.com/...Kdk79QkS4FQ-NxB

https://youtube.com/...hRDcIOuiYiMNgDI

Light bleed is pretty bad, but the lighting itself isnt bad. No lighting in the saucer impulse engines, and the star drive doesnt even have it colored correctly. Some interior light blocking would have helped a ton.

https://imgur.com/a/xBWH27B

#320 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 04:58 PM

Not gonna lie, I'm gonna buy 2. One as an original and second to paint correctly and take apart to fix the light bleed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users