Photo

McFarlane Toys Gets Entire Star Trek Licence!

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#201 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:49 AM

I'm more interested in the role play than the figures. 

#202 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

I have a hard time figuring out the Leg joints. I thought they would go for T-joints (which would be a bummer), but on the pics it looks like as if the figures could bend their legs sideways as well. Hm. Sculpt-wise Kirk and Picard look pretty awesome, that's for sure. But McFarlane figures are known to have really lackluster articulation. Can't deny that I'm curious, though. :)

The Stranger Things Chief Hopper figure has really good range of motion. But the break-up of the sculpt isn't great. And there are really obvious pin joints. They said these figures would be able to sit. But we'll see. 

#203 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:34 PM

Well, just found out that, according to a McFarlane rep at Toy Fair, Kirk and Picard are the only figures planned in all of 2018. So, it's starting to feel like McFarlane will be like DST Mark 2. Maybe worse. I HOPE this is because they are planning a more robust launch of Discovery figures, and are waiting until the show is back on the air in 2019. It doesn't really explain why no figures from the older shows are coming though.

Did they say what the scale was going to be for those two?

#204 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

I think all these figures from McFarlane are 7'' scale.

#205 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:38 AM

From the new BBTS preorder listing for the Discovery phaser:

Please note - McFarlane is prohibiting distributors and retailers from shipping this item to consumers in California, Connecticut, Kansas, and New York due to the specific and restrictive "imitation firearm" laws in those states. All pre-orders and in stock orders shipping to these states will be canceled.

Wuttt?

I wonder if this means that McFarlane is ultra-conservative and thinks policies like this will help anger/nudge people into action to suppress gun regulation...

Or if it means that McFarlane is too lazy to do what's necessary to get the product through to those states...

Or if it means that the regulation in ALL FOUR of those states is really such that it's that difficult to market them there?

At any rate....there's one reason why the 24th century firearms make for better toys, I guess.  They look nothing remotely like guns.  More like an electric razor...

#206 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:13 AM

From the new BBTS preorder listing for the Discovery phaser:

Wuttt?

I wonder if this means that McFarlane is ultra-conservative and thinks policies like this will help anger/nudge people into action to suppress gun regulation...

Or if it means that McFarlane is too lazy to do what's necessary to get the product through to those states...

Or if it means that the regulation in ALL FOUR of those states is really such that it's that difficult to market them there?

At any rate....there's one reason why the 24th century firearms make for better toys, I guess.  They look nothing remotely like guns.  More like an electric razor...

It probably means that the restrictions in those states are so ridiculous that they would have to modify it to the point where it wouldnt look right. If so good for them for going the more authentic route. I live locally to Disney World and the toy guns got kind of ridiculous. Beyond the orange tip they were required to make the whole thing a solid bright color. They always said they did that so they could sell them in CA also. Of course now theyve just totally banned toy guns. You cant buy them and you cant bring your own. Im not a gun person at all, but the whole anti-gun stuff has really gotten out of control.

#207 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

burnham-phaser-1.jpg

In an age when cops mistake cell phones for crow bars and people are shot to death because of it, I understand people's concern about anyone running around with a toy that even remotely resembles a firearm. 

That said, I'm glad I've lived through a time when Star Trek's prop department shopped at Toys "R" Us for replica toys because they were so authentic.

#208 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:54 AM

burnham-phaser-1.jpg

In an age when cops mistake cell phones for crow bars and people are shot to death because of it, I understand people's concern about anyone running around with a toy that even remotely resembles a firearm. 

That said, I'm glad I've lived through a time when Star Trek's prop department shopped at Toys "R" Us for replica toys because they were so authentic.

Yeah thats kind of scary stuff. Although I think if something like this is marketed as collectors items and not typically sold through regular retail outlets as true kids toys there should be an exception. Im just thankful for now I dont live in a state with crazy laws like that.

#209 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

Hopefully it doesnt have the orange cap that the picture on BBTS has.

#210 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:32 AM

Well... that seems ridiculous... but the AA phase Pistol had a orange cap... so I bet this one will too... 

I'll still take it for $35 over the $500 Anovos model. 

#211 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:20 AM

Yeah without the orange cap how would anyone know it's not a real phaser.

#212 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:34 AM

I imagine it wouldnt be that hard to spray it black, which is what Ill probably do since it looks ridiculous with the orange cap.

I dont get why there are restrictions for where it can be sold when it has that on it.

#213 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

Well, apparently CA law has this to say... 

Any person who changes, alters, removes, or obliterates any coloration or markings that are required by any applicable state or federal law or regulation, for any imitation firearm, or any device described in subdivision (B) of Section 16700, in a way that makes the imitation firearm or device look more like a firearm, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Pretty sure 1/2 of Comic-Con violates this every year.

It sounds like to me the this is just McFarlane... maybe they had some run-ins with their products?

#214 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

It sounds like to me the this is just McFarlane... maybe they had some run-ins with their products?

This is what I found for the requirements for a toy gun in CA.

A device where the entire exterior surface of the device is
white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright
blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the
predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern, as
provided by federal regulations governing imitation firearms, or
where the entire device is constructed of transparent or translucent
materials which permits unmistakable observation of the device's
complete contents, as provided by federal regulations governing
imitation firearms.

So yeah if the whole thing has to be a solid bright color it wouldnt be worth making accurate replicas like this.

Also heres another companies explanation of this:
https://www.kids-army.com/usa-gun-laws

#215 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:31 PM

so... does this Hello Kitty AK-47 meet the CA rules as a toy gun... when in fact its a real gun??

hk47.jpg

#216 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:16 AM

Ever since that orange tip law went into effect I've been waiting for a news report of a criminal painting his real gun bright orange to fool police into thinking it's fake.

#217 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

so... does this Hello Kitty AK-47 meet the CA rules as a toy gun... when in fact its a real gun??

hk47.jpg

I laughed at this more than I probably should have.

#218 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:50 AM

Yeah, this isn't McFarlane, it's the laws in those states. That's why all the Star Wars Nerf guns are crazy colors, even if they're replicating Han's or Rey's blasters. The orange tip sucks, just like it did with Enterprise, but at least they aren't adding to the bulk of the gun with an orange cap. It'll actually be easier to pain the correct color this way. Sucks as a collector, but I do get it. And we don't get a Neon Green phaser. It is funny that DST got away with phasers that aren't that far off from this. But the black color may not help the case.

#219 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:56 AM

Is it possible to include a replacement piece in the package that just happens to be black???

LOOPHOLES - GET CREATIVE, PEOPLE

#220 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

It looks like that orange cap is removable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users