Photo

McFarlane Toys Gets Entire Star Trek Licence!

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#121 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

Well, these look very much like DST's Trek Select... minimal POA type thing. 

#122 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:55 PM

Look closer and you'll see a full range of articulation that goes well beyond the articulation that DST do for their Trek Selects...

I counted 14 POA on each

#123 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

Not at all. Look closer. You will see quite a bit of articulation.
They are just better at hiding it than DST.

Ball jointed neck.
Shoulders
Wrists
Elbows that swivel for full range of motion
Hips. (Forward and back. Not sure about hinged from side to side but if they are like walking dead they may have that too).
Knees
Ankles

#124 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:10 PM

ok... but even some of the POA really looks quite limited, but we'll see when they come out!

#125 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

Great news from McFarlane, the 7-inch Picard and Kirk look spectacular. I realize that these are premium figures of iconic characters, so the assumption is that Discovery and all the other series may be smaller and cheaper, as the $20 price point for the 7-inchers is on the steep side.

My prediction is that if McFarlane plans to go wide in terms of characters (from Discovery and other series) is that they'll be scaled down a bit along the lines of the Walking Dead lineup.

#126 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:59 PM

I didn't think that $19.99 was steep for a detailed 7" figure at all. That's the norm these days and what DST has been charging for awhile (even more for those horrible selects). The 6" mass market marvel legends and DC multiverse are $19.99 and up.

#127 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

Yes, $20 is the median for adult collector figures or actually becoming the low end as NECA pushes a little higher...

Anything less is generally geared toward the kids. But, its true, unless a $20 line goes on for years and gets really popular like Legends and Black Series you don't get much depth. I am OK with a trickle of $20 7" for now. Gives me time to decide whether I like each one enough to sell off the DST/AA or not...

#128 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

I bought the Destiny Warlock figure which is exclusive to GameStop yesterday. It incorporates all the articulation of the 5" Walking Dead and the upcoming Star Trek figures. It also has a trench overcoat made of a soft vinyl. I was fearful of this being articulation restrictive but was pleasantly surprised. I can't wait for them to bring on the Discovery style Klingons now! I think this line has much potential.

#129 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

I was looking at an in hand review of the David Bowie- Labriynth figure at Toyark.com and it states that the figure will have the photo realistic 3D printed paint apps on the facial details. I have several of the Figurearts figures from Japan that also feature this. I hope all the Star Trek figures also get this! If so we are really going to finally have figure perfection. I cannot wait for these to finally see release!

#130 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:14 PM

http://news.toyark.c...t-276845#images

#131 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:43 AM

Well if that is a sign of things to come, Im going to be buying them all.

#132 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:43 AM

Well if that is a sign of things to come, Im going to be buying them all.

#133 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:03 AM

Do we know how many accessories we'll be getting from Todd's Trek line? Are we talking props and diorama bases?

#134 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

Nice! this is one of the biggest changes we've seen in recent years. Additive manufacturing is basically eliminating the idea of "paint slop". 

#135 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:23 PM

Oh wow! This deal keeps looking better and better!

http://news.toyark.c...n-hopper-277127

#136 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

Do we know how many accessories we'll be getting from Todd's Trek line? Are we talking props and diorama bases?

The bases are all standard bases for the McFarlane color tops line, it seems. It's kind of a generic design with the show's logo on it. Each figure seems to be getting a few accessories, which is nice. Not as in-depth as DST can (sometimes) be though. Picard has a phaser and flute and box. Kirk has his phaser and phaser rifle, IIRC.

I am cautiously optimistic about the McFarlane figures. I got the Labyrinth Jareth figure and he's really great. An amazing likeness. I like his head movement. The leg articulation is a little weird. But it sounds like they are fixing that with Picard and Kirk, as they said they were going to be able to sit. Which, because of his hip articulation, Jareth could not do. 

26151666449_0b14e8116b_b.jpg

26151666369_a0d6981663_b.jpg
24076287458_b5590df639_b.jpg

#137 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:38 AM

Wow, they nailed Bowie's likeness with that! Great accessories too.

#138 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

Sure wish I knew when Kirk/Picard were coming out, and sure wish somebody somewhere would list preorders.  What's up with that?  I would like to know what avenues to expect these from...  I know I've seen a lot of Walking Dead figures at Walgreens but I sure hope that Walgreens is not involved here.  I also know they sometimes stock the Walking Dead figures at the front of Walmart in the checkout lane aisle for trading cards and other impulse stuff.  What's the latest intel on these questions?  Is McFarlane usually secretive/mum about these kinds of things?

UPDATE:

LOL, no sooner do I post this than I then head to bbts.com and see the preorders are finally up on the front page.  Currently due April 2018.  I'm ok with that $17.99 price point!

#139 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

Whirligig, Todd Macfarlane is usually quite forthcoming with updates on his Facebook, Instagram and other feeds. I think for the moment his Stranger Things offerings has the spotlight. I have a good feeling that as soon as they have the Discovery action figures ready to show, they will be heavily promoted.

#140 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

Cool to see those up on BBTS! I was hoping we might get the sooner than that, but on the other hand I'm not exactly champing at the bit for another Kirk and Picard. I'm more just interested to see the quality for the Discovery figures.

I'm guessing we'll see Burnham, T'Kuvma, and the phaser at Toy Fair at the earliest. It'd be cool if we got a sneak peek at a wave 2. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users