• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

AND, you can whack an 9-volt battery hat on the end of the wire and light her up!

#42 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Oooh... Do you have any more information about that dude? The instructions that came with it say plug it in to a 2.5v/3v/6v connection only, so I was wondering if 4 AA's would do the trick (I here the recent ornaments with the stands take 3 AAA's).

#43 ryanlb

ryanlb

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Wait, what? really? You can rig something up to light the ornaments with batteries? How I need to know this!

#44 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Oh, ok - this one must be wired for EU lights, or something. My Hallmark Enterprise-E came from the states, and it was kajiggered for 9-volts. So I just took the plug off the end, and touch it to the battery terminals when I want it lit.

3 volts is two AA or AAA batteries (or many other types of 1.5v batteries, button LR 44's, for example). If you have some old kid's toy, or remote that's battered and beyond use, with a modular battery compartment inside, you can excise that, and just solder the cable on your toy to it.

Or even better, if you have an old string of Christmas lights suitable for the connector on the Defiant, take off a socket with a length of wire, and wire that into a battery compartment (it's very simple - two wires to solder, just touch them to the contacts to determine which wire solders to which terminal before you solder...). That way, the ornament is unchanged.

Either way, the concept is simple - just match the voltages, and make sure you're connecting to the right terminals (ie - does it light or not!), and Bob's your uncle.

#45 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Got it from America as well, maybe the E needs the extra juice? Either way, I'm popping down to Maplins tomorrow to get what I need. smile.gif

#46 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

Firstly, sorry for double-posting, but I feel this is a worth-while update. smile.gif

Right, 4 AA's weren't enough, so I decided to quickly try a 9v battery, and hey, it works! The thing looks gorgeous lit up (especially the back of the nacelles, the lighting looks accurate to the show), but don't take my word for it, have a look!

One thing though - it eats through the batteries, so I've decided for 2 reasons, that I'm going to seek out a set of christmas lights for this thing. One, so it can be displayed whilst lit-up. Two, because I'm just about to order a Rio Grande. I got the Defiant for the same price as the Furuta version, and I'm getting the Rio Grande for the same as its Furuta counterpart.

Honestly, I can't recommend these things enough. If you haven't got them in your collection, I'd say you should heavily consider them. smile.gif

#47 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

wow i need to get one now.

#48 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

Wow! Blinkies!

That looks super-de-dooper!

#49 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Jay K @ Mar 2 2013, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: Destructor, found this -

That's concept art for the interior layout. It's incorrect, but I wish they'd gone with that. I love the bridge being at the front, and those forward-facing thingies infront of the warp engines and cannons being lifepods.

WOW! I'm glad they didn't go with this for logistical reasons (I mean, can you imagine the scale ramifications that would've caused with the station??). But I do kinda wish they would invent a ship this size and caliber.

#50 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (WORF22 @ Mar 8 2013, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow i need to get one now.

Go for it man, you won't regret it! Especially because on ebay, they're going for the same price as the Furuta version, which comparatively, is nowhere near as good!

#51 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Cool, here's a few pictures I snapped earlier, of my Defiants. As always, click to see hi-res:

This one does a good job of showing how the outline of the Hallmark version is spot-on to the
studio model. The other two are of the CG-model, with the smaller F-Toys version being the
most accurate believe it or not (accurate to the CG-model).

As for the scales, I believe the F-Toys version is around 1/1800+, the Furuta version is 1/1250
(as is the Jem'Hadar fighter, which is nice!), and is therefore the closest in-scale to the DST 'D'
and 'E', and the Hallmark version is 1/1008.
Source: http://www.starshipm.../Trekscales.cfm

I also asked a friend to make me these two gifs, just showing off the detail-level on the
three using the port nacelle bussard, and then just a quick one showing them in my hand.

Yes, the Furuta does have yellow bussards. lol

#52 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

Just a quick heads-up guys (if you're interested), but 'REL', the guy who builds the insanely accurate replicas (Sovereign Replicas guy) has nearly finished his studio-scale Defiant. Take a look here, and go through the different pages of the thread to see pictures - it's absolutely breathtaking: 

http://www.therpf.co...iant-ds9-49239/

ss_def_105.jpg

#53 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

i am in love... i want one i can put it up in my office..

#54 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

I know dude - just incredible. He's received help with it from Doug Drexler, who told him that it was BETTER than the real thing! But yeah, seeing what this guy has done over the years (his Enterprise-E, and K'tinga come to mind), he's a real talent. 

#55 Starfighter

Starfighter

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

How many inches long are the following 3 Defiant ships? I would like to get one that is just about 3.5 inches long to fit more in scale with the AA / DST 1701-D & 1701-E. 

F-Toys?

Furuta?

Hallmark? 

#56 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Go for the Furuta one then dude, as that's close-enough to be okay.  

Whilst I don't know the exact measurements, scroll up and indeed, go back a page or two, and I've posted a ton of pictures of all 3, including a couple with the E and D. :)

EDIT: My mistake, I didn't include those pictures, as I was saving them for my eventual 'collection' thread. Give me a minute... 

Right, here we are. Off the top of my head, the DST D and E are around 1/1500, the Furuta Defiant (and Jem'Hadar ship) are 1/1250, and the Hallmark Defiant is 1/1000something, so would be closer in scale with the DST B/Excelsior. As for the F-Toys, I reckon it's around 1/1800? Anyway, some pictures! Click them for hi-res: 

http://i.imgur.com/NgkRvSF.jpg

Here are the various Defiant's with the DST E: 
http://i.imgur.com/FmNPtPS.jpg

And finally, these one's are all roughly in-scale. Good enough for me at least: 
http://i.imgur.com/idhFg3a.jpg

I was going to embed these in my post, but imgur.com is banned here apparently. :/

#57 Starfighter

Starfighter

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the reference and images. I went with the Furuta one and cannot wait to get it.

Go for the Furuta one then dude, as that's close-enough to be okay.  

Whilst I don't know the exact measurements, scroll up and indeed, go back a page or two, and I've posted a ton of pictures of all 3, including a couple with the E and D. :)

EDIT: My mistake, I didn't include those pictures, as I was saving them for my eventual 'collection' thread. Give me a minute... 

Right, here we are. Off the top of my head, the DST D and E are around 1/1500, the Furuta Defiant (and Jem'Hadar ship) are 1/1250, and the Hallmark Defiant is 1/1000something, so would be closer in scale with the DST B/Excelsior. As for the F-Toys, I reckon it's around 1/1800? Anyway, some pictures! Click them for hi-res: 

http://i.imgur.com/NgkRvSF.jpg

Here are the various Defiant's with the DST E: 
http://i.imgur.com/FmNPtPS.jpg

And finally, these one's are all roughly in-scale. Good enough for me at least: 
http://i.imgur.com/idhFg3a.jpg

I was going to embed these in my post, but imgur.com is banned here apparently. :/

#58 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Nice dude! I'll be honest, now that I have the Hallmark version, it's not my favourite version anymore, but it fits amazingly with the big D and E. :) 
Also, the Hallmark one lights up! 

Random update on REL's version - I had to post this, because people should see it. I know the Defiant's my favourite ship, but one has to appreciate the craftsmanship, skill, and general art that's gone into this. Firstly, take a look at the real studio model by clicking here and clicking on the first image you see in the article, or copying and pasting this link into your browser (copy and paste or it won't work): http://www.ex-astris...iant-model1.jpg

Look at the bottom image. Now take a look at this picture of REL's version: 
http://sovereignrepl.../ss_def_107.jpg

Absolutely perfect, and so good, it'd fool Senator Vreenak. :P 

Seriously though, I envy people like this (REL, Prometheus etc) - if REL ever makes this available as a kit dude, you should TOTALLY grab one and do your usual on it. ;)

#59 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:20 AM

That is pretty damned amazing!

I wasn't entirely convinced by Rel's Sovereign class, but the quality of his builds is always galactic!

This is a masterpiece (though the decals on the keyhole are ever-so-slightly Off - just missing a couple of gaps... :P)!

#60 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Worth a mention, Starship Legends version seems to be bang on the mark! 

EEYX1xU.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users