Photo

Star Trek Custom Heads

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Poll: Custom Heads (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be willing to purchase the following?

1. I would be interested in a $25 unpainted head (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

2. I would be interested in a $35 painted head (15 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

3. No thanks (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:36 PM

We'd still need some one who is a skilled painter to do the paint work for those of us who are not so skilled with detail work.

#22 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Commodore Kor'Tar @ May 31 2010, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We'd still need some one who is a skilled painter to do the paint work for those of us who are not so skilled with detail work.

I'd be willing to give it a shot. Here's my Beatles WIP 1/6 scale:

I've gotten pretty much out of the DST scale but I don't mind helping.

#23 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

Nice work! How much would you charge to paint heads for those that want some?

#24 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

how would we get a 3d model of the head?

#25 thecapn

thecapn

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (Commodore Kor'Tar @ May 31 2010, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice work! How much would you charge to paint heads for those that want some?

That would probably depend on what you want. If you would just want a factory paint job - flat skin tone, maybe a couple highlights, flat hair, I could knock those out in less than an hour - somewhere around $15 is fair I think. I spent around 2 and a half on each one of those heads, but they're really detailed - built up skin tone in layers, textured eyebrows, glossy eyes with pink around them, etc - they'd be more.I guess I figure I'm worth about $20 an hour.

#26 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ May 31 2010, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how would we get a 3d model of the head?

Maybe someone that works in 3D that is a member of this forum would be willing to work on them in his spare time. wink.gif

#27 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

hmmm...now who could that be?....if only we could contact this person!

#28 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

EMH

I tried to keep it in the same style as the DST figures. Keep in mind that this is gray scale and will look much more realistic with paint added.

#29 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

thats freakin awesome! I dont know how hard minor details are but is it possible to add hair/brow lines because that would make it near perfect.

#30 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:20 PM

It is hard to tell in that picture but the hair and brow areas are raised slightly. Unfortunately I wont be able to add smaller hair fiber lines to simulate the hair. That is usually done with an image map and is harder to get uploaded to their site from my my program.

#31 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

Just an update for anyone interested. I have made 3 different heads (EMH, Janeway, Chakotay) and have successfully been able to upload them to the Shapeways site (after several revisions). I have ordered 1 each of all 3 to test for scale and look on the figure. once I get them and test them (and paint)I will post some pics to let you know how they turned out and see if anyone wants to go in and buy more.

#32 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:11 AM

Please keep us updated, I look forward to seeing the end results.

#33 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Jun 4 2010, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just an update for anyone interested. I have made 3 different heads (EMH, Janeway, Chakotay) and have successfully been able to upload them to the Shapeways site (after several revisions). I have ordered 1 each of all 3 to test for scale and look on the figure. once I get them and test them (and paint)I will post some pics to let you know how they turned out and see if anyone wants to go in and buy more.

Wow. That's great and was fast. Can't wait to see them. How much did the cost per head come out to? I wonder if this works out if we could also get the body parts done this way also instead of customizing existing figures.

#34 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

I am not sure how well body parts would work. The thicker the part the more it costs becuase of the material. I had to make the inside of the heads somewhat hollow to try and keep the cost down for us. As for the cost of each head it will be different depending on how much material it takes to build them and I am going to have to charge a little more than my cost to offset my freelance modeling rate (which I am going to be taking a big portion off of for the people here). The cost should work out to around:

$15.00 per unpainted male heads
$10.00 to $12.00 for unpainted female heads.

I have been toying with the idea of doing Quark but I have no idea how much his head would be since there is a lot more material that would be used to make it.

of course painted heads would be a little more. I would be up for painting some for people or I am sure that there are others on the board more talented at that then me that would be up for it.

And just so no one thinks I am trying to scam anyone my regular rate for just doing a gray scale model like the one above is $30.00 an hour and each head model had around 6 hours of work put into them. So for the three models I made I would normally get paid around $540.00, But so that we can get some figures that we want I am only adding on two to three dollars extra to the price per head. I don't think that is to much to ask.

#35 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

Not in the slightest and its way down from the $25 we expected to pay. I cant wait to see what they look like!!

#36 data_2006

data_2006

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:23 AM

I also would defeantly be intrested! they look good!

#37 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

While I wait on the "prototypes" to get made so I can test for scale I decided to go ahead and start work on another. Here is everyone's favorite Vulcan security officer.

I have a new appreciation for the free hand sculpters that work for places like DST. Some peoples faces are really (really) hard to get right.

#38 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

Looking good!

#39 data_2006

data_2006

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:10 PM

keep it up! it looks great!

#40 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

I got word from the manufacturer that my models are now in production. Hopefully I will be getting a shipping notice in a day or two. The first three are rough prototypes to get an idea of scale. Since then I have gone back and added some extra detail.

SO:

Here is an update to the Janeway head that I made. once I get a sample of the prototype I can make any scale adjustments that need to be made and I can start taking orders. YAY!!!. I will posting some others as I get the details added.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users