• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:13 PM

Have DST said the entire Buffy & Angel license is being dropped Slayer?
Or anyone who knows??

#22 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

The news is that they are discontinuing the regular 6" figures in lieu of the new "Revampedf" "figures" (more like plastic statues if you ask me) and the stupid Deluxe ones. Check out the article at Figures.com for more info. I am placing my final order for Oz/Drusilla/Wood and then I will no longer be adding Buffy to my collection. sad.gif The Deluxe figures, while super poseable, look lunky and weird to me.

I might try to go back and start collecting Sideshow though.

#23 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:06 AM

Hey, I like the deluxe ones. I have all but the Destiny Angel and Spike figures and would love to get those eventualy. Iw as kind of looking forward to the deluxe Willow shown at toyfare too. I have a few of the other 6" ones as well and like those too but for some reason really like the deluse ones. It is a shame that they are going to drop them right when I realy find ones that I like. The revamped figures are more like statues so I wont be getting those.

#24 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

Actually, I like the deluxe figures as well. SUre, they look odd, but I think it's a very cool, stylized look. The extra articulation is great. However, they should have added peg holes and stands for them. The extra poseability would be better if we could display them in action stances on a stand. I hope DST keeps them coming.

As for the new diorama style figures, we'll see. They sound a lot better than the MacFarlane figures, though. At least these will have a lot of options for poseability and displayability. The MacFarlane figures are so limited, they should be called figurines or statuettes and not action figures, which is how they are marked on the packaging. I'll give the revamped Buffy line a chance.

#25 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:51 AM

Courtesy of the BCC:

IPB Image

Yeah guys, sorry, I cannot get excited about these.

They look like generic figures with different heads attached. In fact, I think thats what they are. DST is trying to find a method of making figures as cheaply as possible, and they succeeded both in production and quality. These are far too thin and the joints stick out like mad. One good thing about them is that scale will no longer be an issue because scale will not exist between all of the figures sharing the exact same parts. I think its a cheap cop out. I certainly don't see the cost of the figures going down with the drop in production design.

I'm gonna pass on this line.

#26 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:18 PM

The female characters do look off ( i still like them though) but School hard Spike and 50's Angel look awesome. I havn't seen the Destiny figures up close yet so I am not sure how they look up close.

#27 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:49 PM

The jacketed figures (ie Destiny type) don't look half bad. The arms are different and the jackets take away from weird mid-section.

#28 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

Now that I have soo many of the people I wanted from Buffy/Angel (even my Joyce!).....I don't soo much mind the change.

I would prefer regular figures released as well ofcourse....but a move into Deluxe isn't all bad....atleast we'll still be seeing some figures. I know a lot of people would prefer to see nothing at all, but I'm not one of those. I don't think the license would be picked up by anyone else, & I would prefer to have something.

These new statue like things I have no interest in & would not buy.

I just hope we receive some deluxe figures of Harmony, Doyle, Gunn, Lindsay & any other missing mains.

I think the Deluxe figures look nice...thin, yes....but overall quite good looking figures. The only nice figures I have of Buffy herself are the Deluxe versions.

Some of the the Willow wave figures are awesome:

IPB Image

#29 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:28 AM

Yeah, don't dig the deluxe figures either Slayerone76. But all the kids are digging on the cool articulation of these figures. I just can't get into it personally, but to each their own.

#30 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:28 AM

I don't like the deluxe figures. Too much articulation ruins the look of a figure. I got one, as a bonus, free figure from TS&T. The Buffy head sculpt was great, but that's it. I prefer the earlier bodies.

I think I've been done with DST's Buffy/Angel figures for a while now. I can't remember the last one I bought.

I'll take a look at the new "McFarlane-style" figures. I love the Star Wars Unleashed line, so I hope they're as good as those.

#31 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Feb 21 2007, 03:23 PM) View Post

Some of the the Willow wave figures are awesome:

Question is ... will they stay that way. I already don't like the look of the body. Any slacking off on the face/head will make the figures unbearable for me. So far, I have been really disappointed in what we see at cons compared to actual product in the Buffy line. Maybe with decreased production cost on the bodies, they can truly focus on getting a decent likeness.

#32 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, if the Willow faces are as badly effected by cost cutting as those God aweful Faith figures, I will not be buying any of them.

But I will try not to be disappointed....as we know there is a good chance of that happening.

#33 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:02 AM

OK, I lied. I just placed an order for the Willow/Kennedy/Kendra figures. I am gonna give them a shot and see if I can be excited about any others DST decides to make.

#34 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:55 PM

When is the Willow wave due?

#35 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:58 PM

July 2007 is the listed due date.

#36 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:53 PM

Hey, I just saw some of the Faith/Giles line and you might want to reconsider Sam wink.gif With the exception of the whatever the hell demon Giles being a tad small, I liked what I saw smile.gif I might reconsider getting these, but going to pass on the SA Deluxe line, don't dig it. But can't fault folks who do, it's just not my bag sad.gif

#37 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

I may consider buying a Giles seeing as the glasses look better on these figures of him.

Faith however.....not in a million years.

IPB Image

#38 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

#39 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:05 AM

I just got my Watcher's set a few days ago and I have to say they are some of my favorite out of all the DST Buffy figures. I could have done without Randy "Spike" Giles (but only cause I think Spike is over rated) but even he is nice. I just opened all of my Faiths and Giles figures and they are absolutely cool despite the mess up on Chosen Faith. In fact, I was looking back at Cordelia and Xander and was thinking "these aren't as bad as I remember." If they do well on Drusilla, Oz, and Wood ... maybe we will see some Con exclusives of the missing few that we are longing to see (ie your Surprise Drusilla LL).

#40 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Mar 25 2007, 06:05 PM) View Post
If they do well on Drusilla, Oz, and Wood ... maybe we will see some Con exclusives of the missing few that we are longing to see (ie your Surprise Drusilla LL).

I hope so. I would really like to see that Dru & the shirtless Oz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users