• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 tuvok47

tuvok47

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

DST just confirmed via their Facebook page that they're currently working on the next 2 Select figures (one of which we know is Picard), one role play Trek Tek item, and 4-5 ships.  Anyone want to hazzard a guess on what these might all be?  From a business standpoint...what makes sense?  What are we likely to see based on past DST release patterns? (not what you would like to see, but what DST is most likely to release)

Next Selects:  DSTZach mentioned that the 4th Select would complement the 3rd (Picard).  Who is the most popular character after Picard?  I'm thinking Data.  Either Data with a Data-specific base or maybe Data with another "holodeck" Borg style base?  Or if we go in the "#4 is complimentary because it's also Borg" direction maybe we're looking at a Borg-themed Janeway?  Or Borg Queen?  I think Data is the most likely but of course DST could go down any number of paths.

Next Trek Tek:  Seeing how DST likes to release complimentary Trek Tek items (all 3 pieces of the TOS landing party gear, WOK phaser and comm), might we see a Klingon communicator to go with the recently released Klingon disruptors?  I have to admit, having a communicator that screams Klingon phrases at you could be fun.  And they might be able to squeeze out a few different versions of it like they did with the TOS tricorders and comms.  Different phrases and whatnot. (or maybe we'll finally see a ST3 phaser?  a dipping of the toes into something TNG-era even?)

Next ships:  4-5 ships in the works?  Nice!  We know DST's penchant for variations, so I feel like the NX-2000 and NCC-2000 Excelsiors count as two of those.  And the Enterprise-A rerelease would be a third.  Is the #4 or #5 spot a new ship more more variants?  Whatcha think?  A Reliant makes sense with DST's history of releases, and they could totally squeeze a variant or two out of that mold as well. (Saratoga maybe?)

What say ye?

#2 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

Tuvok47....

Your logic seems sound to me....

I would vote Data also as the 4th Select figure.... or maybe Borg Queen if they go the Borg route.

I would agree also about DST counting the NX and NCC 2000s and the A as part of their 4-5 ship roster....  so my vote for ships four and five are the Reliant and the Defiant.... They just seem realistic and big time fan favorites.... I would love to see the Enterprise C but I think thats gonna be down the road somewhere. As far as another Alien ship goes.... Chuck , I believe, has been quoted as saying its not in the works right now. So I guess thats probably out for now.

My vote for Tek would probably be the ST III Phaser ( Seems the most plausible and a big fan favorite )..... I agree that the Klingon Communicator or Tricorder would be a good idea to go along with the Disruptor but Im not sure on sales if those are realistic. TNG Tek would be awesome.... would love to see some phasers from that era or even some Tricorders !!! 

#3 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:21 PM

You are also forgetting about the HMS Bounty...that might be counted in the lot. But I think right now Excelsior, Ent A, and HMS bounty are the ships...and then prolly two new ones. Here's hoping Reliant and another Alien...prolly a Romulan Ship.

#4 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

I am REALLY hoping for a Great quality TNG First Contact Boomerang Phaser....that blue one Playmates put out needs to be replaced in my uniform haha

#5 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

I'd love a boomerang, too.  I have the Master Replicas version as well as the Stapleton kit from eBay...but I wouldn't turn down one or two from DST.  They could get some variants out of it, too.  Green power meters for a Voyager phaser, green/red from DS9, green/red and darker gray color body from First Contact, etc.  Throw in a nice holster and that's easily a $70 item MSRP in my book. 

#6 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:07 AM

*crosses fingers for a First Contact, Voyager S2, DS9 S4 "chisel-head" tricorder*

#7 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

I'd love a boomerang, too.  I have the Master Replicas version as well as the Stapleton kit from eBay...but I wouldn't turn down one or two from DST.  They could get some variants out of it, too.  Green power meters for a Voyager phaser, green/red from DS9, green/red and darker gray color body from First Contact, etc.  Throw in a nice holster and that's easily a $70 item MSRP in my book. 

Yeah exactly! There are a few variants on that they could do for sure....that would be as universal as the TOS phaser for them!

#8 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

Totally! Same goes for the "chisel" tricorders. I can think of 5 variants off the top of my head and there may be more. A couple years later they can release phaser/tricorder 2 packs like with the TOS landing party sets.

#9 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:18 AM

Trek-Tek - ANYTHING TNG+, would be bought by me. I have the EFX(Master Replicas) Mark IX Tric, it's a beauty, but I wouldn't be against getting a DST version (have a play with, etc).

As for the ships, 4-5...I'd say both Excelsiors, the Bounty, and the 'iants' (Rel and Def). At least, I hope so. :)

#10 Javabean

Javabean

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

I wish for Ent C since we hv B, D, E & upcoming A, let's complete the alphabet order. Seriously I too hope for Reliant.

#11 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Time for a "realist" (aka negative nancy) to weigh in...

Before I make any guesses I was just thinking this morning that DST has been letting us down lately.  They refuse to give us many details about what is coming in the near future, all they give us are vague suggestions about the distant future.  Right now all of their newish exciting products have been released, they have a few variants/re-issues in the pipeline, they have a Picard announced and coming "soon" (who really knows when), and everything else is rumor and speculation with no foreseeable concrete product other than Picard to really get excited over (and I don't even like Picard).  I know all the "reasons" (aka excuses) for this, and it is also just part of the sad reality that Trek is still on life support over there.  But seriously, we need something to keep us excited and DST basically acts like everything is top secret until it is a couple months from the store.  They need to learn how to work the crowd and be more transparent in their development process.  People want something to look forward to.  If they know what Select #4 will be, there's no reason not to announce it now.  I get that cool announcements are often saved for conventions but when your line consists of about 2 items per calendar year, you ought to make some exceptions.  Tell us what it is now, make the reveal of the art or prototype the surprise.

Anyway...

For Select, I would like to hope it will be Data (that is...if it HAS to be a TNG main character...and hopefully not in an 'action' pose, and hopefully not just standing around on some boring generic base).  But I have lately had this feeling like it will be Worf.  He's the one that fits in best with their action prerogative, and he is a pretty popular character.  He also spans two series.  I wouldn't be surprised if they made it a DS9 Worf so that they can claim their line is really diverse when in fact we would see the first DS9 Select being Worf as a slap in the face.  I'm not sure how Worf in any form would "compliment Picard", but hey, throw the bottom half of that dead Borg on the ground and anything could be construed that way.  Another captain might also be said to compliment Picard so maybe it would be Sisko?

Trek Tek, I'm not seeing a TNG-era item and I don't really have any clue what that will be.  I'm not personally invested in it since I don't collect Tek, but if they ever do move into TNG era then I would.  Probably another item from one of the TOS movies.  Klingon communicator sounds like a good possibility.  Their second favorite thing after TOS seems to be Klingons, which leads into the next guess...

I had the sudden and depressing realization that when they talk about "another alien ship" it could very well be a TOS-era Klingon D7.  That is depressing for me, anyway.  And I can totally see them thinking that would be a good seller.

#12 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

Time for a "realist" (aka negative nancy) to weigh in...

Before I make any guesses I was just thinking this morning that DST has been letting us down lately.  They refuse to give us many details about what is coming in the near future, all they give us are vague suggestions about the distant future.  Right now all of their newish exciting products have been released, they have a few variants/re-issues in the pipeline, they have a Picard announced and coming "soon" (who really knows when), and everything else is rumor and speculation with no foreseeable concrete product other than Picard to really get excited over (and I don't even like Picard).  I know all the "reasons" (aka excuses) for this, and it is also just part of the sad reality that Trek is still on life support over there.  But seriously, we need something to keep us excited and DST basically acts like everything is top secret until it is a couple months from the store.  They need to learn how to work the crowd and be more transparent in their development process.  People want something to look forward to.  If they know what Select #4 will be, there's no reason not to announce it now.  I get that cool announcements are often saved for conventions but when your line consists of about 2 items per calendar year, you ought to make some exceptions.  Tell us what it is now, make the reveal of the art or prototype the surprise.

I mostly agree with you, but then I think back on the time that they would announce things only to have it turn out that they weren't even in development and were relying on pre-orders to even reach a tooling process.  It was really refreshing that the last big round of releases went into full production with little word said about them, and then Zach building up hype by showing the occasional bit of progress with pictures posted to Facebook and the AA blog.  At some point I'd prefer a happy middle with giving us announcements on what to look forward to way down the line and knowing we can be confident in it reaching production, but for now I think it's better they play it safe.  I dread a repeat of the era when they had so many things announced and it seemed like there was a pre-order cancellation every week.  It was dark times.

#13 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

For Select, I would like to hope it will be Data (that is...if it HAS to be a TNG main character...and hopefully not in an 'action' pose, and hopefully not just standing around on some boring generic base).  But I have lately had this feeling like it will be Worf.  He's the one that fits in best with their action prerogative, and he is a pretty popular character.  He also spans two series.

I don't think DST sets out to "slap us in the face."  They have to consider what will sell the best.  And as far as the Select line goes, they've said that they're looking for the most "iconic" versions of these characters (hence the red shirt Picard) so if they do release a Worf at some point I'd wager he'd be in his gold TNG uniform.

#14 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

I mostly agree with you, but then I think back on the time that they would announce things only to have it turn out that they weren't even in development and were relying on pre-orders to even reach a tooling process.

Fair point.  It was kind of nice to have, for example, the Legacy Minimates sort of come almost out of nowhere and actually materialize in a reasonable amount of time.  But, I still think we should be getting more than we are as far as information.

I don't think DST sets out to "slap us in the face."  They have to consider what will sell the best.  And as far as the Select line goes, they've said that they're looking for the most "iconic" versions of these characters (hence the red shirt Picard) so if they do release a Worf at some point I'd wager he'd be in his gold TNG uniform.

I didn't mean to suggest that they would do that as an intentional slap in the face, they'd have the best intentions, but do you not agree that if Worf were trumpeted as the first DS9 Select, you would feel a bit shafted?  I would recall the time we got that Voyager figure -- you know, Geordi.  :D  Ok, not really the same thing, Worf WAS a regular, but you know what I mean.  I think that "iconic" thing is just a line to explain that they are not going to do weird variants like people (including me) keep dreaming about.  Red DS9 or gold TNG, I think both would be "iconic" enough from their POV.  I am probably wrong about Worf, or so I hope, because I feel like I have enough Worfs for now.

#15 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

I don't know anything about it, but as far as Tek goes, I'm in for pretty much anything TOS or TOS movie era.  I'd love to see a really well made TNG tricorder (any version).  TNG phasers don't really interest me anymore (although Stapleton's are amazing).

#16 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

I had the sudden and depressing realization that when they talk about "another alien ship" it could very well be a TOS-era Klingon D7.  That is depressing for me, anyway.  And I can totally see them thinking that would be a good seller.

Zach Himself said they won't do another Klingon ship this soon, because they just did the BoP. So that is prolly not gonna be one of the next ones.

#17 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

Zach Himself said they won't do another Klingon ship this soon, because they just did the BoP. So that is prolly not gonna be one of the next ones.

I think I remember reading that now, but, that was awhile ago and people do change their minds.  Plus, "this soon" isn't necessarily mutually exclusive with "the next alien ship".

#18 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

I think I remember reading that now, but, that was awhile ago and people do change their minds.  Plus, "this soon" isn't necessarily mutually exclusive with "the next alien ship".

Your absolutely right whirlygig...That was my fault.... I said alien ship when I should have said Klingon Ship.... Ships #4 and #5 absolutely could be some type of alien ship,

#19 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Sorry we're not anouncing stuff fast enough. When you only put out two items a year, you only get two big reveals, and announcing what it will be before we show it may be exciting to you, but it's not exciting to everybody. Plus, the time between announcement and showing it is a time when negativity runs rampant about an unseen product. If we're going to announce it, we're going to want to show it.

And announcing a product and releasing it 6-8 months later is how it should work, like it did with the Legacy Minimates. That is the ideal scenario, so obviously we want to get ships to that point before we announce/solicit. Any longer, and people say they've been "waiting forever" even more than they already do.

But whether it's an entirely new product or not, I think we've had a new Trek item in every month's Previews for the last year or so! In fact, Star Trek.com will announce a new variant ship tomorrow. Pre-orders will start happening ASAP. But it's an early 2014 item, as far as I know, so hopefully that gives you guys enough time to discuss it.

And did I say the fourth figure would compliment Picard? That could be anybody! Everybody loves Picard, and they always say nice things.  :D  I meant "complement." Meaning it's someone who works alongside him, and is also part of the full complement of the Enterprise D crew.

#20 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

*crossing fingers for Lt. Broccoli with Holodeck arch diorama base*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users