• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:46 PM

Star Trek Beyond wrapped principle photography the other day out in Dubai... But does anyone care anymore? It feels like Star Trek is kind of dying and I guess it'll come back but right now I have a hard time believing anyone is all that bothered about Star Trek Beyond!

#2 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:48 PM

I care deeply about Star Trek, it's much more than just a TV show to me. However, I'm in the minority of fans who dislike the new films, and the direction they're taking the franchise in. Seeing executives state that they'd like Star Trek to become Paramount's very own 'Avengers', worries me a lot. Star Trek has its own identity and shape, it doesn't need to be remoulded into something else.

If I can be completely honest, I find the new films to be as unpalatable to my tastes, as I do Justin Bieber when compared with the likes of Steely Dan/The Eagles/James Taylor/Joni Mitchell/Crosby Stills and Nash/Neil Young, etc etc.The essence of Star Trek just isn't there for me, and it's not just a case of comparing a movie to a whole TV series. TMP-TUC generally kept the crew of the original series just as recognisable as people had remembered them, and the same with Generations-Nemesis in regards to TNG's crew.

Also, I'm not someone who has a negative outlook (I gave both new films a chance in the cinema, even though the trailers were enough to put me off), but I get the impression that even if a new show was announced next year (which it probably will be), I doubt very much that they'll be able to capture what made TNG and DS9 special to me. Even fundamental things such as choice of actors - would they mostly use stage veterans as they once did, or use the acting-academy types (with a few exceptions) as seen in the JJ/Pegg films?

On that basis, it could be argued that I've lost interest in today's Star Trek. But that isn't true, especially not the Trek I love and grew up with - 57 issues of a magazine that costs £10 a shot is proof enough of that!

When it comes to future TV adventures, I'd like to believe they could strike gold again (look at HBO with Game of Thrones - I would've bet serious money that you'd never get me interested in that type of fantasy stuff, but I rate it as highly as my favourite Trek series, and the likes of the Sopranos).
But even if they don't, or if it's something I don't like, I'm absolutely content with what I have. That is to say, 14 seasons of A+ quality TV, and the ten movies which I love (even the Final Frontier...lol) are more than enough for me.

Tl:dr - I have some hope that TV Trek could be great again someday, but (as I find with the new films) if it isn't, I'll never get fed up with the old stuff, and will still follow Star Trek with a keen interest for as long as I can foresee. If I like something as much as I like Star Trek, I don't get bored of it - at least, not to the point where I'd wish to 'tune out' of it. :)

#3 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:39 PM

I care too. It's just that for me it's on and off,like everything else in my life,and I always blame that on my short attention span. But ST will never truly go away. I grew up with it,and a few other shows,and I'll always have a special place in my heart,and head,to the day I die. I would like to see a new tv show too,but I doubt in this day and age they can recapture what once was. Todays audience are different,spoilt by a lot of movies and tv shows that Trek would have a had time competing with.

J-R!

#4 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:14 AM

I agree with you Jay K. Although one shouldn't forget that Trek was considered being dead before. There's a Little bit of hope in me that it might come back - on TV. And with the right person in charge it might come back with the same kind of spirit that we all love so much.

#5 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:44 AM

Trek isn't dead... It's just taking a nap. :)

#6 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:35 AM

I don't think Star Trek is dead, it just feels as though whilst Paramount make Star Trek Beyond, everyone is looking the other way more interested in all the original Trek TV series (TOS - ENT) and when CBS will announce 1) a new Star Trek TV series and 2) if it will be set in the original universe.

Just seems that paramount and Justin Lin could big up and rave about Beyond and no one would really be all that bothered about it?

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:53 PM

After the STITD... I swore I wouldn't go to the theater to see the next one... but... with time, and new writers and directors... I'm kind of optimistic that we might get an actual star trek movie here. 

I generally like the cast. and think they do present Kirk and crew well... but the cinematography was all over the place on the 1st two and the plot mguffins made me cringe. 

I actually thought Cumberbach overacted the roll of Khan.

anyhow, If it gets decent reviews I may go see it, so for me thats a step in the right direction!

#8 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

When you have nothing new coming out except the movie and merchandise is scarce its hard to be excited. Ill always love Trek but I also love other properties.  Ill watch the movie because thats what I do but I can say Im not as excited about the future of Trek any more.  I hope I get proved wrong.

#9 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:02 PM

With a third movie coming out in a pretty regular span of time... I think it''s difficult to make the argument that nobody cares. If 0 movies were being filmed, that would be a different matter.

I don't necessarily think the JJ Abrams films have anywhere good to go, though. I have a pretty negative view of the JJ Abrams Trek universe, but most Trek fans are okay with them on some level. They're like the Star Wars prequels; they can be ignored and considered non-canonical to some extent (they're making themselves easy to dismiss), and they bring new fans to the franchise.

But it's definitely not 1996 outside -- that was a different time, right when FC came out and DS9 and VOY were still on the air. That was Peak Trek, and I don't think we'll reach that point again.

I think there is still some demand for TNG-style pieces, and among fans there has always been demand for a Capt. Sulu spinoff. I think many screen writers and directors are ignoring the fact that there is nothing really stopping the Enterprise-B story from being told in the style of the old TOS movies.

#10 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:58 PM

You guys gotta understand that Trek is 50 years old...the fact we are still getting any kind of merchandise or even new movies at all is awesome. I mean you dont see many properties that even have that opportunity. It will be around for a long time to come, movies and TV for the next 50 years

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:05 AM

Without going off on too much of rant, in my opinion, JJ was just the wrong guy for the property, and I'll leave it at that.

BBM... your right not many properties have that kind of lasting power... fewer of them originated on TV.

Planet of the Apes is a good example of a movie property that branched out into TV... and has made a very successful transformation / reboot back in movies. Both Rise and Dawn of the planet of the apes were done very well IMO and I look forward to a 3rd installment!

Trek's strength has always been on the small screen (TV) where it can tell compelling stories. They really need to figure out how to bring compelling Trek back to TV.

#12 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:29 AM

I agree with you gentlemen.... I really think Star Trek belongs, in part, on the small screen. The JJ Universe by its very designation is not "actual" Trek..... It's a fun romp, and I really enjoyed the first film, but it's time for a Prime Universe Trek to arise.

I hate to bring up politics but it seems Western Society is going through an unforseen circumstance with the moving forward of the information age. Unfortunately, its often lowest common denominator entertainment like reality tv, etc. and technology itself that seems to win out.... Star Trek has always dealt with thought provoking stories that cause the viewer to do a reality check while still being entertaining. I think Trek, along with many other thoughtful, popular properties, are paying the price for our making information dissemination technology and low brow entertainment the most important thing. What would Picard or Kirk say about a society that focuses more on the message delivery device more than the message itself?? I think we all know the answer. I want a TV with the the best image, a phone with the best data transfer rates, etc.... But at what cost?

Hey.... I'm all about tech!! I'm a Trekkie after all.... But what would a fleet of interstellar vessels be without a Prime Directive? Without a vision for humanity? Pointless that's what!! Maybe even dangerous!! I guess as a 40 year old man I just need to complain about the things I see wrong.... I think Trek is suffering for many of these reasons though.

Trek, to me, has always been thoughtful story telling with a hopeful vision for humanity as a backdrop.

Let's face it, classic Trek took chances in a small screen way.... The first interracial kiss, cold war issues, affects of drugs, etc.... This was radical for the time.

What would be radical in 2015? Maybe issues with how technology shouldn't be the only point ... Healthy living should be important. Maybe dealing with the advent of new ideas and concepts that can be dangerous if not dealt with properly. The possibilities are endless but someone at the helm really needs to try!

#13 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:04 AM

Excellent post, Prometheus! I agree 100%.

#14 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:00 AM

Superman!!

#15 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:21 AM

Nanannaaaa batman

#16 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

Don't ask......

#17 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

I should have just waited to post until Ive seen what Pro posts lol.  He always posts what I'm thinking.  I'm just not good and transferring thoughts to a post.

#18 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:22 PM

+1 from me as well. Nailed it, Pro. ;)

#19 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:15 PM

trek has died many deaths, only to be reborn.

#20 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:21 AM

I do wonder if fans themselves are caught between wanting something new and different yet something that essentially is TNG dressed up to look like something new?

For Star Trek to be bold, risky and pioneering again, Star Trek would have to look and sound completely different to TOS and TNG, but would that not anger just as many, if not more fans than JJ Abrams movies are doing?

I myself believe that to do a Star Trek show you would have to do something that is as much a departure from what we know as Star Trek as what Roddenberry did when he created TNG. Star Trek at its core is this pioneering show. It's this sweeping reflecting pool on the social and ethical dilemmas we face in today's society asking its audience an array of risky and bold questions. I question whether fans would be onboard for something that to be faithful to what Star Trek is, has to be very different from the shows we all grew up loving.

I just fear that fans would potentially turn their noses up at anything new in favour of something new yet recycled from the past, such as squeezing stories into already established canon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users