Photo

Wishing Playmates still owned the Trek Line!

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE(knightone @ Apr 20 2007, 02:59 PM)  
Were they all the same sculpt, just repaints?

The purple and the blue one are the same sculpt with the low collar neckline. The silver is basically the same (same legs, head, arms and torso) but has a molded high neck collar.

#42 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:53 PM

^Mason's correct. Here are some shots for your referencing pleasure: (I included the borgified 7of9...so now you have all of the 4.5" playmates figures).

#43 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:03 AM

I will be receiving the purple Seven with my order. Same with the 9" brown Seven. Cheers for the pics.

I was always unsure which out of the 4.5" & 9" was brown & which was purple.....now I know. smile.gif

The Borg Seven was a cool figure. Could have looked a bit more gross, but any Borg is a good Borg.

I wonder if DST will do a Borgified Seven?

#44 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:56 AM

Thanks for the info and pics, guys. smile.gif

#45 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:06 AM

The silver 4.5 Seven is still my favorite Star Trek figure ever. Its just awesome all around!

#46 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

Personally I liked the Cobalt figure better. But I still wasn't happy with the figure on the whole. I LOVE the detailing (for Playmates caliber), don't get me wrong...but I hate the limited articulation and the fact that she was soooo much taller than her VOYAGER couterpart figures.

Artistix: I'm with you on that figure. Actually if you compare the figure to how we saw 7 in "The Gift" they got her pretty darn accurate.

I think IF DST/AA does a borg 7 it will be the full borg version, and not this "partially deborged" version. But

#47 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:52 PM

I am SO hoping that DST does a Borg version of 7 so I can add to my Borg collection. I would love to see her completely Borg, but if only partial I can live with that.

#48 Shinzon

Shinzon

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

Overall I think Playmates did a great job, but the line was almost over. Had they ran through the end of Voyager (at the absolute latest) they really would have covered everyone who they needed to. I actually think the Enterprise figures by AA worked better for that show than PM would have made at that size. I mean, even in terms of DS9 & Voyager (of which there was very little made compared to TNG) we still had almost every major character. I guess we only really were missing Kai Winn, Weyoun, a Generic Breen, Samantha Wildman, The Female Founder, Icheb, Admiral Paris, Endgame Variants of the Voyager Crew, and Sisko's father.

The thing that would excite me far more so about Playmates, is had they done more with the Strike Force stuff. Now that is what I think is far cooler than the regular line, and finish up their 9 inchers to at least have all of the regular crews for the starships.

#49 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:56 PM

There were a few figures still left undone which would have been nice:

4.5" Ezri
4.5" Kassidy
4.5" S1 Riker
4.5" S1 Beverly
4.5" S1 Troi
4.5" S1 Wesley
4.5" S2 Worf
4.5" grey uniform DS9
4.5" grey uniform Geordi
9" Tasha
9" B'Elanna
9" Kes
9" Neelix
9" Quark
9" Jake
12" Beverly

Plus all the extra characters...Kai Winn, the Wildmans...Weyoun, female Changling etc.

I believe a few of those figures were planned...but never made it out. The 9" Torres is the most mind boggling as she was lined up several times without being released!!

#50 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

^Don't forget Nurse Ogawa and Number One from the Cage!! Those were two figures that I had really hoped would make it to the list. Not to mention that there were a lot more from DS9 that could've been made as well (i.e. Weyoun, Female Changling, Rom in Bajoran uniform, Mirror Worf, Michael Eddington, etc.)

#51 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:27 PM

Loved the Playmates line!

But it started to go downhill when one they used cheaper plastic I felt an odd residue and they smelled odd. I was also annoyed with the leg/hip joints when they sat they were always in the lotus position!

Now the ships were awesome as well as the "role playing" accessories iow toy phasers etc. I love the classic series tricorder and the phaser!

But I'm still looking for the AA phaser. That is awesome.

Dig the AA but PM has a special place in my heart!

-cs™

#52 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:32 PM

Welcome to the forum, Smitty!

#53 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:42 PM

I really have two of those mail away Sevens I just missed them somehow. I'll get then up on the website this weekend.

#54 CaptainMitchell

CaptainMitchell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek (all things Trek), Stargate (SG1 & Atlantis), BSG (old and new), Doctor Who (mainly new), Justice League and DC Comics, and the New FLASH GORDON.

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

I enjoyed collecting the Playmates 4.5 inch line of Trek figures. I started out only getting the Characters I liked a lot. Then after awhile I realized I should get them all (or as many as I could). I am only missing a few figures. The "Redemption" Data, a sealed Thomas Riker, European Movie Uniform Beverly Crusher, and the individually packaged Tapestry Picard, Yesterday's Enterprise Yar and Projections Barclay. My Thomas Riker is open but I bought him at a garage sale with all of is accessories for $20. I also have a large number of the 4.5" Playmates that I bought extras of so that they could be opened and played with, posed for pictures or displays, and for customizing. I have made an expecting Keiko and Sinister-looking Seska. I even repainted the rereleased figure of Yesterday's Enterprise Yar to reflect the uniform from the episode (the white waist belt and the black cuffs at the wrists. Just trying to figure out how to make her hair match the episode.) I am now trying to get a good picture to go from for making an Odo with his belt and Kira in her blue uniform. I also was trying to think of other variations I could make. I have added special touches to some of the figures. (extra detail to buckles or such on Klingons mainly.)

I would like to have Ezri Dax, the Female Founder, a Vorta, a Alpha Quadrant Jem'Hadar, a Breen, and More Mirror Universe figures from TOS and DS9 as well as Q as the old man in "All Good Things...", the TNG Crew plus Q and Vash from the Robin Hood themed episode. The Q and female Q from Voyager's "The Q and the Grey". Also a long haired version of Kes. Quark and Neelix in a different outfit (Quark in Klingon attire at least), Paris, Kim and Torres in the racing suits, Janeway in her Holodeck dress from any of those holonovels she was part of. Paris, Kim and Janeway from the black and white Holodeck adventures. Also O'Brien and Bashir from some of their Holosuite adventures would be nice. JMO

Thank you for this site and keeping the spirit of Trek alive. Happy New Year!

#55 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:02 PM

^Wow, those are some ambitious customs! I'd love to see the finished results though! I've seen a few of these over the years in my trolling ebay and various custom sites for recipes and screencaps. I've seen a few decent Ezri's but never a long haired Kes (everyone does her in "Warloard" attire, but that's it)

Anyway, welcome aboard! smile.gif

#56 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:02 AM

I picked up a couple of the 4.5 figures and promptly gave or threw them away!

The 4.5 line just holds no appeal to me for much the same reason that the 3 3/4 line of of Star Wars held no interest for years.

Limited POA, pre-posed figures, and (to me anyway) un-inspired sculpts and paint apps....

It took the VOTC line to truly re-invigorate the Star Wars line and I think something similar would need to be done for me to get on board with a line in the playmates scale.... but if they did it the way Hasbro has done VOTC, or 25th Anny Joes or the upcoming Indian Jones. I'd stop collecting DST and start with that line!

#57 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Jan 9 2008, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Limited POA, pre-posed figures, and (to me anyway) un-inspired sculpts and paint apps....

It was a shame that as the years went on, the posibility got worse and worse. Not that their articulation was stellar to begin with...

#58 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:36 PM

^No, but the highest point was the VOY figures and the lowest was the last few Warp Factor waves with 7of9 and the like with their squat poses, etc. Those and the GENERATIONS lines. sad.gif

However I'll still put the VOY line up against any other toy license in that size scale. I think they had the best POA per qualty and for the most part still do.

#59 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

if memory serves the voyager figure were only $5. Good luck trying to find that quality of figure for that price!

#60 stardust

stardust

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:22 PM

I like the AA Trek figures that we are getting now but those many many years of collecting PM figures I really enjoed and I'm a bit nostalgic over it.

I remember going to school and anxiously waiting to get out and run to TRU, KB, Target, Walmart, Spencers Gifts, K-Mart etc to see if they'd gotten in the new wave of figures. Then wading through them all looking for the best looking ones. It was funny sometimes my dad would go to the stores during the day and grab a basket and pick out the best ones for me if I was busy and couldn't make it.

I remember looking forward to February for the Toyfair and seeing what they rolled out. And I don't know how many of you were as obsessive as I was and I called the Customer service and got to know two great people who kept me up to date on the case assortments, if they are rolling out and what the limited figures were. Rich and Mara Hart. This was before I found the internet.

I remember the excitement of finding not one but four Tapestry 1701 individually carded Picards, two Yesterday Enterprise Yars and 16 Barclay from Projections(no I did't get them all for me but for friends of mine).

I remember in later years the excitement of ordering full cases and excitement of UPS delivery and opening them up and the waffle of a freshly unsealed case. And then I remember feeling sad hearing that '99 would be the last year PM would carry the license since they were letting their contract elapse. True in the later years PM wasn't as prolific as before. They went to doing exclusives either through Target, KB Toys, Toyfare or NFC(which is how I first became aware of NFC). Plus they started doing a lot of figures requiring only re-used molds or headswaps.

And while there isn't comparison with the more elaborately done AA figures I still think for a "kids" company they did an extremely good job of producing tons of figures that are pretty good with their likenesses(some were perfect like the EMH) and the 9" figures were well done with the fabric costumes and one place that PM outdoes AA are with the ships. I also miss being able to go to stores and picking out the figures myself. Now I have to hope that I get nicely painted figures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users