Photo

Would I be crazy to try and collect the Playmates line again?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:09 AM

I collect the AA ones but they just don't have that same feeling for me that the Playmates ones did as a kid. I think it was all about seeing those ads in the Star Trek magainze (What was that magazine in the early 90s???) with all the figures on that alien planet.. Then seeing the 2nd wave with the 1st season uniforms, that was awesome.

http://www.newforcec...ef/asst6010.htm

http://www.newforcec...sst6070ser2.htm

oh and the shuttle?

if I'm not crazy, any tips?

#2 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:19 PM

I don't think you are crazy. Collecting the Playmates line would certainly be feasible as they as selling for really decent prices on e-Bay for the most part. Some of the ships and rare figures still go for a bit much.

My only warning is you probably won't get those same feelings as you did back then. You might be able to get a little bit, because you can go into a comic book store and find them on peg. I just think some of the fire would be gone and you might not get that ol' Playmates rush back.

#3 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:05 PM

I am still collecting the Playmates line myself.

I have quite a few figures left to go, but I am getting there.

I was lucky enough to find a few people on these forums & Playtrek who wanted to sell off a lot of their Playmates collection.

I don't think anything could come to close to the feeling back in the day when the Playmates line was in it's early stages....but it's still a very warm & fuzzy feeling to finally own something you've been aiming at buying for the last 10 years! biggrin.gif

#4 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:54 PM

I would say yes. They are fun and can be picked up at great prices. I have a few myself.

#5 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:39 AM

Yep, as long as it's something you would enjoy wink.gif I still have my Playmate stuff, mostly TOS and a few of the ships and plan on displaying them next to my DST/AA stuff eventually biggrin.gif

#6 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:40 AM

I'm buying the AA almost as a throwback to the Playmates figures I got 15 years ago..

but I just bought off eBay a lot of sealed Series 1 all 10 figures which is awesome.. It's like starting where I left off.

I'm gonna have to make a list of what I want/need

#7 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:12 AM

#8 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

How about 265 of them all in one spot from one seller all still in the card? Interested? You could pick up about 1/3 of my collection of Playmates in one shot.

#9 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(Goro @ Mar 3 2007, 10:09 PM) View Post

I collect the AA ones but they just don't have that same feeling for me that the Playmates ones did as a kid. I think it was all about seeing those ads in the Star Trek magainze (What was that magazine in the early 90s???) with all the figures on that alien planet.. Then seeing the 2nd wave with the 1st season uniforms, that was awesome.

http://www.newforcec...ef/asst6010.htm

http://www.newforcec...sst6070ser2.htm

oh and the shuttle?

if I'm not crazy, any tips?

Hey Goro, where abouts are you? I may be able to help you out with some of these.

#10 Doesitmatter

Doesitmatter

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

If you're planning on collecting them loose, you'll clean up on ebay.

I have a handful left but every now and then I think about picking up a huge lot.

#11 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(Mason @ Mar 9 2007, 03:19 AM) View Post

Hey Goro, where abouts are you? I may be able to help you out with some of these.

california

I'd like to find a set of the season 1 uniformed people.. not sure what words to look for on ebay, just gonna have to get lucky i guess

#12 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

Ok looking for series 2 main crew, in the old uniform, including Crusher and Tasha.. and shuttlecraft MIB and maybe the other playsets and ships

#13 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:51 PM

Just got a used bridge off ebay and it stunk like smoke so bad I had to put it in the garage, never to be played with again sad.gif so there goes that

#14 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:02 PM

Goro, check with Stormfury-Echo, as I know he has some expertise on removing the smell of nicotine from some of the Playmate stuff. My suggestion would be letting it sit out in the garage for a bit and let the cool air dissipate the nicotine smell. I had a similiar problem with some loose ML figures a friend sent and it seemed to help. Worse case scenerio, I could use the pillar posts that connect the bridgeset my wife has. I'm assuming it was this one that you are talking about? Anyway, sorry to hear about that, it always sucks when you get something from a smoker house mad.gif I usually ask, if they don't have "smoke free" in their description. Hopefully it didn't set you back too much though, so you can try and get another set.

#15 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:12 PM

It was a different one, I asked the person and they said their dad smoked.. They probably were immune to the smell..

I'm lettin it sit out side drenched in febreeze, but now I just really want to buy a new one, in sealed box, anyone have one?

#16 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE(FHC @ Mar 4 2007, 04:54 AM) View Post
I would say yes. They are fun and can be picked up at great prices. I have a few myself.

Just got that joke tongue.gif

Do you have

Asst. No. 6070 Series 2/3: Main crew of the Enterprise-D (old uniforms), Dr. Crusher, Scotty, Q

and possibly Crusher Duty Uniform, Captain Picard in Duty Uniform, Ensign Wesley Crusher Tasha Yar, Pulaski and the TNG crew in Generations/DS9 (first seasons) uniform?
Also Geordi La Forge (JG) (just realized he had a yellow 2nd season variant, which maybe they should have done originally season riker has a beard on his early season uniform figure)

#17 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:05 AM

Only if it was ever made. tongue.gif I did find one that I missed awhile back but thanks to a con in the area I have it now. I had all the other white boxed versions but not this one.

I have every other backing card, package, sticker, card / pog, paint, clothing, variation that I am aware of. That covers the 4.5" to the 12" with the only ones I'm missing would be a complete set of the first run in the German packaging. I do have 3 so far.

here's one of interest maybe

This one has round belt holes

This one has slotted belt holes

you know some times I think I went overboard back in the day. biggrin.gif

#18 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:48 AM

Any for sale?

I was looking at some of your pages a while ago, I forgot where, and it showed a variation based on how the phaser was packed... to me now it seems like "oh simple it was just packed either way, not really a variation" but I remember back in 92/93 I was really trippin over that..

#19 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:16 AM

I wouldn't say I'm trying to collect Playmates, but I do buy them whenever I can. I wasn't around for when they were actually in stores (wasn't too interested), but now I'm trying to catch up on lost time. wink.gif The only thing is I can never remember what I've gotten and what I haven't. I don't have the display room right now, but one day....!

#20 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:59 PM

Art Asylum has kind of spoiled me in terms of quality, and since I really only buy starships, I'm a serious snob about it now. Yeah, PM did some decent stuff, but they did some pretty horrendous work at times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users