#1 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any decent scans of playmates promos or magazine ads that they would like to share with me?

I am trying to put together a blog of star trek playmates cardbacks and ads.

You can check it out here - its pretty basic and for my own purposes really, but you are welcome to download anything you like.

http://upcloseandpla...logspot.com.au/

If you have anything to share you can email me at james@destructo.com.au

Kindest regards,

- Jim

#2 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

i have a ton of that kind of stuff on the Reference site...go take a look. I also have others scanned as well

#3 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

Thanks Mike.

I'll check it out - and I have to say, I have spent many an hour looking at your amazing site.  If you ever get it up and running and need a hand, I am happy to pitch in.

Truly superb work.

- Jim

#4 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:44 AM

Well yeah it is in limbo right now...It stinks too cuz I really would love to update it....sadly I think i need to transfer it to my own webhosting site and continue it, cuz it seems Rick at New Force isn't interested in dealing with it anymore :(

#5 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Well even as it stands it is a monumental piece of work, and something that certainly benefits collectors and fans.  I've been looking at the old & new versions for years now and I adore them both.  Don't give up on it man.  So much of the Star Trek playmates era was 'pre-internet' - someone has to record this for posterity!

#6 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

...by the way I just updated the site to include unproduced 3" die cast figures - I've never seen these before!

I scanned the pic from an old magazine covering the 1995 toy fair.

Anyone have any more information on these - or perhaps a better photo?

#7 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

Whoa....I dont remember ever seeing those....thy were gonna be playmates produced? When? What does the article say about them??? I will in time add that to the ref site if i transfer it over somewhere else. 

#8 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:25 AM

I think so. I forget the name of them but there was one of Spock from TMP in his Katra ceremony outfit reacting to hearing V'Ger's call with the caption "His answer lies elsewhere."

#9 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

Unfortunately Mike there is no article to speak of - just a two page spread of photos from the 1995 toy fair.

I work at a collectables store and I have recently unearthed a whole bunch of action figure magazines.  I have never heard anything about them before either and it was a total shock to see them.  I've updated the site with scans of the two pages from the magazine.

- Jim

#10 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

...by the way - check out the head sculpt on the Admiral Riker figure.  Looks kinda freaky to me.  An early prototype I guess.

http://upcloseandpla...logspot.com.au/

#11 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:58 AM

The paint on some of the figures is different, as well. TMP Sulu and Uhura look very yellow-ish (though that could've been due to lighting/camera), but TMP Kirk is painted correctly compared to the released figure (check out his collar), and Saavik does have the red stripes on her legs, which my figure doesn't sport.

#12 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

Good picks Daysleeper, I also reckon Picard as Galen has different legs in the photo compared to the figure.

#13 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:27 AM

I had never seen those 3 inch die cast figures! Those look cool!

#14 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:36 AM

PLAYMATES!!! PLEASE COME BACK!!!! ALL IS FORGIVEN!!!!! Well,in my case there's nothing to forgive,I liked it ALL! YES,even the 2009 stuff!

LOVING this thread! Thanks for starting it JP,and great pics!

J-R!

#15 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm with you Robster - the older I get (and the more I look at current Star Trek figures - such as they are) - I miss the simplicity of the playmates days.

This past year I have collected all the basic 4.5 inch figures (it's taken a whole year!) and now I'm onto the Space Talk Series and Transporter series.

Not because I want them - more like a lover or an ex that simply cannot let go.

Think about this - regardless of anyone's age here in this forum, it's very unlikely that during our lifetime:

1) Star Trek will be as popular as it was during it's 90s heyday

2) Some action figure company will come along and make hundreds of awesome looking figures from the show

#16 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

If Hasbro isnt going to do anything with the license they need to sell to some company who will.

#17 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:27 AM

Yeah, around a year ago I remember reading that Hasbro were gonna produce action figures and whatnot.

So far, only those crappy Kreo sets have surfaced.

#18 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:31 AM

Well said JP! That's my relationship with Trek as a whole,this kinda love/hate kinda thing.

One of my fun times collecting Playmates figs is this one.

On one of my many London trips way back when,I went into Forbidden Planet when they were still at New Oxford Street. They had JUST got in a new batch of figs from TNG and DSN and me and this other guy were filling up with figs. Suddenly a figure fell on the floor,as we were just putting them in our arms. We both looked down at it,then looked up at each other and just smiled. I said,I think that's yours,and he said,no you go ahead and take it. So I picked it up and said,wait,let me check if I already got it. So I checked my batch of figs and I had it so told him he could have it,to whcih he said thanks,and we carrid on loading up our full arms,LOL! It was just a fun moment in time,and it's the only time I've been able to pick up that many new figs in one go.

Of course,I did fill up an ice hockey bag first year I went to Comic Con,and the funny thing was when I went to Portland after the con and went by a Hallmark store to pick up some orny's and was standing in line to pay,this guy said,oh you play hockey,and I had to say no,it's full of action figures. LOL! He was actually more impressed by that,so told him I'd just got here from Comic Con and so on. Another fun time,lol!

But yeah JP,those days are far gone and will never come back. But it was....fun. lol. First time I went to FAO Schwarz in New York in 98,Christmas time,I picked up the Harry Kim and Species 8472 two pack,SO happy seeing that on the shelf there! With some other figs too. I really do miss those days when you excitedly went to a toy store in the US hoping to find some new figs. And the total WEEEEE when you DID! And I miss KBToys!

Ooops,better stop writing or it'll turn into a novel,lol!

Keep up the great work JP!

J-R!

#19 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

Robster - great story!  Makes me think of those crazy people going nuts in Wal Mart when the massive sales are on! 

Your tale is a familiar one to me, though in Australia, we had but a feast of scraps.  Nothing beyond the first wave of DS9 figures hit toy store shelves, so any and all action figures were soley found in specialty shops for $24.95 each (AUD).

So my adulthood has been spent filling those warp factor gaps here and there and satiating my childhood self who was only able to stare at these figures with envy in magazines like the ones I've posted!

So yeah, I wish I had been in the US - but now with ebay (and the strong Australian dollar!) I can get em all!

#20 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:01 AM

Good for you! Here in Craplan.....ooops,Norway.....we just about never used to get stuff like this back in the day. Luckily it's cheaper to fly to London than take the bus to town so I used to go over there a lot. Sometimes a detour to Nottingham,where my parents live,as there's a FP there too. Then in 98 I FINALLY started going to the US! And never looked back,lol! I go to the US at least three times a year,Comic Con in July,NYCC in October and Christmas wherever I feel like ending up. This year it's L.A,Portland,Long Beach WA.,Raleigh and New York. And a quick day trip to San Diego. I love the train ride,and no Comic Con. FUN! lol!

And I've found a store in L.A that has a LOT of the good 'ol Playmates figs. Also a store in Portland that has a nice selection,and this last summer I even found a really good store in Raleigh. So yeah,there IS a toy god somewhere I guess,lol!

GEE,all this fun toy talk ALMOST makes me wanna dig out all my Playmates stuff and display it again,lol!

J-R!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users