What if Playmates took the 2012 license?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Commander Hunter

Commander Hunter

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:20 PM

I would love if Hasbro or Mattel got the license. I feel the license should be focused on a 3 3/4 inch line just for keeping costs down. I would kill for a classics, tng, ds9, voy, ent line up at 3 3/4 inch scale with a Modern line released at the same time. That would rock.

#42 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:01 PM

I'll chime in once here and say I'd love a 3 3/4" line that's as detailed as Hasbro's G.I. Joe line. When I learned Hasbro was getting Indy, I was really excited since their 25th anniversary for the Joe's was going on and I was really impressed with them. Sadly, they let me down a bit with Indy though.

#43 Commander Hunter

Commander Hunter

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

Yeah the Indy figures had some gems in the line but for the most parts they used Star Wars technology for the figures. I am hoping IF star trek finds a home at Hasbro they do use the technology that created GI Joe and Marvel Universe.

But I would love that they could go Star Wars on Star Trek, just by the sheer numbers of figures and playsets. Can you imagine a Guardian of Forever or Amoktime playsets. DS9 bridge set or even Defiant bridge set. a holosuite... Jem Hedar, Romulan, Ferengi, Cardassian Soldiers, BORG!!!!!, Klingon Warriors (TOS and TNG), Kazons army builders.... come on people... just imagine the possibilities... NEW FRONTIER comic packs.... Expanded Universe of such as the Crew of the Titan and hell throw out the crew of the Excelsior..... hell even give us a complete crew of NX-01 Enterprise....

Bring on the pain....

#44 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

It would be cool if Hasbro got the license , but even if they do it will most likely be a basic assortment from the next film. Star Trek just doesn't have the same pull it used to, I mean if it did, we'd be seeing them doing complete crews, ships, playsets, and making figures of background characters who had no spoken lines what so ever like Star Wars figures. I hope that hasbro gets it and that the figures are of high quality, and also affordble for those of us on a budget. Then if the figures sell from the first basic wave, they could consider a second wave.

#45 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (reverie @ Nov 12 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll chime in once here and say I'd love a 3 3/4" line that's as detailed as Hasbro's G.I. Joe line. When I learned Hasbro was getting Indy, I was really excited since their 25th anniversary for the Joe's was going on and I was really impressed with them. Sadly, they let me down a bit with Indy though.

Yes, Exactly! Hasbro definately raised the bar with "The Rise of Cobra" and "Pursuit of Cobra" lines. Dennis Quaid's likeness on the General Hawk figure was absolutely undeniable. The uniform details on Cold Weather Destro and Snake Eyes with Timber in the "Pursuit.." line shows what could be done for textures on the 2009 Star Trek uniforms. My favorite from the "Pursuit.." line is the new Quick Kick. Star Wars is starting to catch up with the articulation of GI Joe, but at the same time achieving that articulation differently. If Star Trek were done by Hasbro I would like to see the GI Joe design team tackle the figure line to give it a different flavor from Star Wars, and to set it appart.

#46 Commander Hunter

Commander Hunter

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

Right now I can only imagine what the accessories would be like. I mean I love what Playmates did with the wide array of stuff that came packed in each figure. Hell DST has done the best job ever as far as accessories. But Hasbro would take it up a notch or two. I keep picturing a Hasbro 1/18scale Enterprise-D bridge..... sigh!!!!!

#47 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hasbro would probably be more apt to do a bridge playset along the lines of the Big Millenium Falcon or Big At-At where it combined the playset/vehicle aspect. That would make for one Big Enterprise, but you would hear no complaints from me! biggrin.gif I always wanted a bridge set similar to the proposed Galoob Enterprise-D Bridge/Transporter/Ship Set. Hasbro has the ingenuity to make some nice collectible toys!

#48 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:27 AM

I vote for Hasbro as long as they can do a better job than they did with the Indy figures. No googly eyes or figures that wont stand up.

#49 Commander Hunter

Commander Hunter

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Nov 13 2010, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I vote for Hasbro as long as they can do a better job than they did with the Indy figures. No googly eyes or figures that wont stand up.

On the Indy figures I had to drill a hair deeper so they can properly sit on a Star Wars HTS stand. It was annoying. Same company but different depths for pegholes. WTH. Meh.

#50 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hasbro used a different factory in China, than the one that produces the Star Wars line. By the time they got to "The Last Crusade" and "Temple of Doom" waves these figures held their own. Sadly these waves were doomed because of the crap that came in the first few waves. Hopefully Hasbro learned a valuable lesson for when they hopefully do more Indy figures when the Indy 5 movie ever comes out. Or even better yet when they do a 3 3/4" line for three of my other favorite properties- Lord of the Rings,The Hobbit and Star Trek!

#51 Skot

Skot

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

I don't think there's a chance that someone else even CAN get the license, can they? I'd love to see Hasbro get it, but that's just a dream.
I'm hoping if Playmates does get it again..or if there even ARE toys next time(i fear that stores won't want them since they simply did NOT sell well enough for them in 2009) I hope they learn from their mistakes:
Build-A-Bridge...bad
Build-A-Teleporter Room...bad
Not finishing the BAB and BATR, BAD!
Making us buy Captain Kirk in the bridge AND BAB figs...BAD.

Make a bridge like the 1990s bridge, nice STURDY plastic, no little pieces to loose or whatever.

I personally wish they would have made them 4.5" instead of 3.75" just to make them a welcome continuation of the 1990s line, but that ship sailed.
But, since they are going with this format, it would be nice to see some sub-sets of TNG thrown in, or celebrated...is it possible?

I would totally like them to work with Art Asylum. The AA figures are just amazing! I've just repented and come back to the fold of Trekkies, and I missed the greatest figures ever.

#52 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

I know that anything is possible, but its hard for me to believe that Playmates would take on Star Trek again. I am not sorry that i bought all of the Playmates 2009 stuff, i actually like the stuff, but i can understand why sales were disappointing for Playmates. I wonder if any toy company could produce Star Trek toys that the mainstream public would buy without an animated or live action weekly series to attract and keep interest going. I fear that without some sort of a series on tv, collectors are the only ones buying and thats not nearly enough to satisfy toy companies that place product in brick and mortar stores.

Not trying to be gloomy here, and i hope i am wrong, but i feel that we may not get any toy line for the 2012 movie. As an older member here on the forum, i remember how STTMP had a large merchandising campaign, but the movie was not received like expected and the merchandise wasnt as successful as it could have been. TWOK came in 3 years later with very little merchandising, and no toyline at all. The only other TOS movies that had any sort of figures was STTSFS with the lackluster ERTL figures and STTFF with the rubber statues that had very little articulation from Galoob. Point being that we are not guaranteed a figure line for the movie, but i hope i am wrong, and that its a quality line if we do get one.

#53 Skot

Skot

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jul 20 2011, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
animated or live action weekly series

That would be awesome! Like Star Trek TAS back in the 1970s. When I was a kid i liked the Star Trek TAS, and Spock was my fave. I wore a Spock Shirt in 1st grade, I thought it was the coolest.

#54 hcmv007

hcmv007

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

I think Hasbro should do the license-but if Playmates does get it again, here is what we should get:

1. Accurate head sculpts. It's a damn shame Hal Jordan looks more like Chris Pine than the Playmates Kirk did. That being said, use Gentle Giant to scan the actors heads. Keepiing them in scale would be good too. Scotty's head is freakin huge compared to the others

2. Articulation-check out the Star Wars Vintage Collection-you have well sculpted and fully articulate figures you can put in a variety of poses.

3. Accessories-put all Crew members with a phaser, tricorder & communicator, a stand is nice too since this will retail close top 8 or 9 bucks per figure

4. Do the other series as well! 2012 is the 25th anniversary of TNG! How about DS9, Voyager and the OS and Animated Series?

5. Retro packaging-use the Galoob packaging for the TNG line and the MEGO packaging for the OS & Animated characters!

6. Do 3.75 inch ONLY! A 6 in collectors line would be good too, but I can't afford 20 bucks a pop on the crew.

7. Be innovative-for the TNG, Voyager & DS9 figures put magnets on hips to hold the phaser and tricorder; give out incentives and offers on proofs of purchase, etc.

8. Put more enemies in the waves! Only Nero in either wave? No Ayel? No Romulan Soldier?

9. Release 2 waves at once-if the line does bad, at least collectors get their hands on a larger variety of characters.

10. Better playsets-Transporter Room was good, but the Bridge was terrible. But the situation can be fixed, all it takes is a hard working toy designer

#55 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (hcmv007 @ Aug 7 2011, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Hasbro should do the license-but if Playmates does get it again, here is what we should get:

1. Accurate head sculpts. It's a damn shame Hal Jordan looks more like Chris Pine than the Playmates Kirk did. That being said, use Gentle Giant to scan the actors heads. Keepiing them in scale would be good too. Scotty's head is freakin huge compared to the others

2. Articulation-check out the Star Wars Vintage Collection-you have well sculpted and fully articulate figures you can put in a variety of poses.

3. Accessories-put all Crew members with a phaser, tricorder & communicator, a stand is nice too since this will retail close top 8 or 9 bucks per figure

4. Do the other series as well! 2012 is the 25th anniversary of TNG! How about DS9, Voyager and the OS and Animated Series?

5. Retro packaging-use the Galoob packaging for the TNG line and the MEGO packaging for the OS & Animated characters!

6. Do 3.75 inch ONLY! A 6 in collectors line would be good too, but I can't afford 20 bucks a pop on the crew.

7. Be innovative-for the TNG, Voyager & DS9 figures put magnets on hips to hold the phaser and tricorder; give out incentives and offers on proofs of purchase, etc.

8. Put more enemies in the waves! Only Nero in either wave? No Ayel? No Romulan Soldier?

9. Release 2 waves at once-if the line does bad, at least collectors get their hands on a larger variety of characters.

10. Better playsets-Transporter Room was good, but the Bridge was terrible. But the situation can be fixed, all it takes is a hard working toy designer

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures and playsets that Playmates has coming out soon would be a good example to follow for a return of Star Trek product. Check out the articulation on those Classic Turtles! That new Sewer Hideout Playset is huge. This is the kind of effort they should put into a new Trek Line. I'd love it if they would add Interactive Sound chips like Simpsons and Family Guy too!

http://toynewsi.com/...20&itemid=18240

#56 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

Those figures look like good representations of what I've seen of the characters so far, but the figures look a bit fragile and much play from kids will have them breaking just minutes out of the package I'm afraid.

#57 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:55 AM

You guys and gals do know that Hasbro has actually picked up the Trek license,yeah? Stuff coming out next year. And new movie,yaaay! Have fun y'all! J-R!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users