#21 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jan 26 2010, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really don't see a Star Trek Line returning to the popularity of the 90's Playmates line... sorry, but I think anyone that believes it might has a long wait.

Yes. i agree. but I think CBS has to be willing to basically give the license away to such a company... in other words they need to see that the merchandising... at this time... is really about getting free advertising for the Trek franchise... you know to sell things like DVD's and Movies??

I don't see it happening either. My eyes are pretty much open to the fact that Star Trek merchandise as we know it is dead. It will never be able to compete with the likes of Star Wars or Transformers. Kids hate it and even inspite of the fact that the movie seemed to do well, we few who post on here seem to be the only people in the universe who even give a damn. Pardon my french.

#22 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jan 25 2010, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ill be honest...thats the best news Ive heard. Lets give another company a shot at it and im pretty sure theres another company looking to amke a name for itself just like AA did back in the day. I welcome something new and something different at this point. Lets be honest, Playmates waltzed right into this market again, gave us some average to below average product and expected us to buy it up. Well you cant just restart the clock and take us back to the 1990s. Id like to see a company take Trek to the next level with likeness, scale, sculpt and articulation kinda like what AA did back in the early 2000s.

Sadly I agree. The only real shot Star Trek toys would really have is if Hasbro gave it a run! We'd get a line of figures with aliens in the mix, Star Trek Transformers, Titanium ships, Galactic Heroes, and Mr Spock or Captain Kirk as a Mr. Potato Head. I doubt however, that we would see anything in a non-movie year unless the powers that be at Paramount/CBS pull their heads out of ther rearends and get an animated show out there to keep the buzz going until 2012!

#23 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

Well.. I don't know that they hate star trek toys... but it's just hard to compete with Transformers and Star Wars!

I recall being in TRU right after X-Mass and this young boy wanted to buy a transformers or star wars toy... and his mom was telling him to find something else because he had so many!

The kids like the star wars & transformers.

#24 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

Dont forget that transformers has not always had an aisle presence. You couldnt find a transformer in most stores before the movie hit. Trek had the same opportunity to capture that crowd but playmates failed to do so and you can blame playmates or you can blame the movie or blame whatever. Bottom line is the shot was there and it fell through the floor just like so many movie lines before it.

#25 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

Very true.

#26 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

I don't know unless Paramount comes around and surprises me with an animated tv show. I'll heap some blame on them. They seem to be out of touch when it comes to keeping the momentum building. Sure that summer 2012 movie slot will be nice, but we'll be up against the Hobbit, a new Conan movie, Thor, Captain America and who knows what else by that time! A good animated show along the lines of Clone Wars could keep this franchise relevant and on the minds of this younger demographic they are trying to win over. If it doesn't fit with cannon, trust me, no kid will care. Bring on animated Romulan Wars or something!

#27 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

Another Playmates press release. Looks like they can't get their dates right, unless they know something we don't. Here it is:
http://toynewsi.com/...16&itemid=15361

#28 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jan 28 2010, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another Playmates press release. Looks like they can't get their dates right, unless they know something we don't. Here it is:
http://toynewsi.com/...16&itemid=15361

That's fine. I'm not wasting my money trying to collect a Star Trek line from Playmates ever again.

#29 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:29 AM

I'm leaning that way myself now. I was happy to see 3 3/4" figures after all these years, but now that everything has settled down. I'm sitting here realizing that my crew is missing some important characters in bridge uniform! Unless I want to do customs. The bridge set is incomplete ( Someone mentioned that a build an alien wave would have been a better idea, I'm in full agreement there!) I hope Hasbro gets the license next go round. With them I think we would have at least got two waves. We definately would have seen better figures. I don't know if Hasbro would go for Classics or TNG figures, but you never know. It's time Paramount puts some money behind this franchise.

#30 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:50 AM

Wow. JonWes, it seems like we've watched you ride the Playmates Roller coaster from a High to Low! When the line 1st came out you loved it, and playmates and were a fairly staunch defended of the faith... then one day you announced you had to sell it all off, and now... well now you seem a bit dejected and bitter.

Sorry to hear that Playmates has disappointed you so much.

#31 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:25 AM

I think alot of us have been burned by Playmates and DST, but I don't think we can really blame these companies. Paramount ultimately can make or break this franchise. I remember a few years back, I forgot the game developing companies name, but they actually sued Paramount to get out of a binding contract, because Paramount ran Star Trek into the ground and lost fan interest. This was in the final years of the Enterprise series when Rick Berman was talking about "franchise fatigue". Dst Chuck, Pat Linden, Paul Fish, Paula Billingsley and anyone I failed to mention at these two fine companies are all passionate about their work and I applaud them. It will ultimately be Paramount and CBS to keep the momentum going and let's face it, the FORCE isn't with them!

#32 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:26 PM

I don't feel "Burned" by DST.

Disappointed? Sometimes, of course. But not "Burned".

I collect AA/DST Trek because I like them.

Does this mean the line is w/o it's flaws? Of course not. But all toy lines have their flaws.

When it was announced that Playmates had the new movie license, I had my doubts, mostly because I had picked up some Playmates old 90's figures and they just didn't click w/me... but I held out passing final judgment until the product was actually out. When I saw what we got I was disappointed, so I bought 2 figures and got them home to see what they were like out of the package. I quickly trade them both away for something I preferred. I also gave the role play products a try. But they broke almost right away, so I returned them. I knew then that Playmates had not delivered on the goods to my personal satisfaction and that was it for me.

So Playmates didn't burn me. They just failed to produce a product I liked.

But I understand that many others like the old Playmates products and so were hoping for a revival those times. In the excitement, some bought all the new Playmates products and decided they liked them, while others bought them all and while happy with the the product initially they felt buyers remorse sometime latter.

I think many a collector has bought something in the excitement of the moment only to feel disappointed at a later date. I know I have.

#33 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

I think that i am for the most part happy with the Playmates Star Trek line. It is a bit different than their 90's line, but i think that was the intention all along. The 3.75" scale figures were the least likable IMO, but i realize that these figures were produced with kids playablity in mind with durability being shortlived and they would end up in the sand box or the trash can shortly thereafter. I dont think the 3.75" scale were really meant for the intense scrutiny that collectors would submit them to, and they really do not not hold up terribly well to it. The 6" scale and 12" scale were pretty nice figures IMO. I would have liked more accessories and more figures to be sure, but the ones that came out to me were pretty nice. Yes, the packaging was a little bland and the marketing sucked, but i think the whole line was pretty neat. I have all of the Trek Tech stuff too, and while it may not be up to DST's standards, the price was only about half that of DST's products too. For intense play, these items may not hold up, but all of my Trek Tech from Playmates is still in good shape and neat to look at on my shelf. Yes, the line could have been better, but almost all lines out there could be better.

#34 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jan 29 2010, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow. JonWes, it seems like we've watched you ride the Playmates Roller coaster from a High to Low! When the line 1st came out you loved it, and playmates and were a fairly staunch defended of the faith... then one day you announced you had to sell it all off, and now... well now you seem a bit dejected and bitter.

Sorry to hear that Playmates has disappointed you so much.

Not bitter. Just being pragmatic.

The thing is, I STILL really enjoyed the line. I thought it was fun. If I was a kid and I'd gotten Wave 1 I don't think I'd have minded they didn't make more. But I'm not a kid. I'm a collector. I got into the line with the understanding that A.) I could complete the crew and B.) I could complete the Bridge for the 3.75'' figures. If they'd released Wave 2 and nothing else I'd have been fine. I'd be sad we didn't get the rest of the 12'' crew but I could have dealt with it. But the thing is I paid a GOOD amount of money for these figures. I didn't get them on sale or clearance. I went out and purchased them right away. Now that was my decision and I'd probably would have done the same thing if I had it to do over again if I didn't know what the end result of all of this would be. By going with a BAF concept for the Bridge, Playmates made a claim. A claim that we'd be able to get the rest of the Bridge and there would be a wave 2. If they hadn't done the BAF concept... then I would have been more hesitant. I just didn't think there was a chance they'd NOT release Wave 2. They didn't follow through.

Does it make sense for them to release Wave 2 considering my local Big Lots is STUFFED with Star Trek figures? Nope. People just didn't like them enough to get on board. I can see that. They probably lost a lot of money on the Star Trek line. They're cutting their losses. It doesn't mean I'm going to blow money on starting another collection I can't finish though. I collect Doctor Who and Masters of the Universe. It's enough for me. To me, I'm just not going to trust a Star Trek line continuing in the future. They had their chance getting me back into collecting Star Trek and now it's over. I did sell my 3.75'' collection. For $35! LOL. I have kept my 12'' figures for now. I am mulling over getting Pike and Sulu... but not having Uhura and Chekov stinks. I did keep the ship and the roleplay items though. So it wasn't a total bust.

I'll still keep getting DST ships, but I'm going back to being an irregular purchaser of Star Trek toys.

#35 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:19 AM

That's exactly how I feel about Playmates right now too. Had a second wave made it out, I doubt I'd feel "burned". Even if they would have made no more past that. They would have come through on what was promised. Playmates missed two very important windows for getting that second wave out. Three months after the first release, or with the release of the DVD. Now, it doesn't look like they will even attempt to get the rest of those bridge pieces out. They have washed their hands of it. This hardly builds any trust, or faith in the fact that now they are saying they will get it right in 2012! It's like the Art Asylum Mayweather station all over again. Same B.S., just a different company.

#36 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:46 AM

I think we're probably all in agreeance with how we feel about PM (or at least I can agree with the previous two posts!). The problem seems to be them burning bridges.. no pun intended!

#37 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

That page will not load for me for some reason....I just get the header adn the rest ofthe page stays white....ugh that stinks.

#38 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

As sad picture from the local Big Lots. And those are front-faced either. They go all the way back...

#39 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:43 PM

I was just in my area Big lots last night and they didnt have any Playmates Star Trek stuff. They did have a few Mattel Star Trek Barbie figures though.

#40 Kyle_C_Haight

Kyle_C_Haight

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

Allow me to add my voice to the many who feel ripped off by Playmates.

What I'm most concerned about is that now the bridge and transporter rooms will be incomplete, which I think is the biggest rip-off in this whole debacle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users