• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#41 Kyle_C_Haight

Kyle_C_Haight

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:09 PM

Really, Sulu? I thought it was Chekov...

If that's true, that is such a jerk-around to the people in foreign markets, such as myself (Canada), who have had to import wave one from the U.S. already.

#42 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

My mistake...it is chekov. I guess they figure the uniformed figures are all on the shelves now and they want to put some variation into the line. I cant say its a bad idea.

#43 FMT

FMT

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:27 AM

That's an interesting choice to make the most recognizable versions of some of the main characters online exclusives. I'm sure many people will want them to complete the bridge but won't know where to go.

I think generic crew members wouldve been a better idea. Or academy versions. Or Gaila...I'd order a full set right now to get an exclusive Gaila.

But getting more diversity on the shelves is a good idea. Might increase sales a bit. But not canceling the cadet Uhura wouldve helped add diversity since finding the original is impossible around here.

#44 spider1981

spider1981

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:04 AM

Seriously?

Oh Playmates. Good grief.

What ticks me off about this whole exclusive online figures ordeal is that the 3.75 " figures are something I dont WANT to order online. Their quality is extremely hit or miss, and I prefer to look through the figures in-store to get the best quality ones I can find out of the bunch. I even went around to different stores to pick up the best paint jobs. Now, I am forced to order them online if I want to get the complete set, and 2 of the main cast in their duty uniforms no less?

Getting angry Playmates. I thought you were doing a great job up until now...

#45 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:35 AM

I thought that Playmates was directing their 3 3/4" line towards kids.... So how many kids do you think are going to go online to order toys from NewForce Comics in order to get a uniformed McCoy or Chekov? These figures should be available through mass retailers along with the other crew members in uniform that have already come out. Now i am thinking about filing a complaint with Playmates. This is the same sort of thing that ticked me off back in the 90's with the original Playmates line. I know that i have the option to order and get these figures from online retailers, but considering the sloppiness of the paint apps, i want to see what i get ahead of time, and it doesnt matter if i can return it or not to Rick, thats an expensive hassle to go through. One other issue is that online retailers are more expensive than Walmart is, and dont usually have sales like TRU, so i am disappointed with this news.

#46 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:56 AM

Kids are going to go to the store see a guy in blue, a guy in gold and a guy in red. They are going to continue to look through the pegs and find a guy in brown and thats about it. This wave is going to give much needed diversity to the pegs. I think McCoy and Chekov would only clog the shelves more. Im not saying I think it is a good idea to go the online retailer route...a better idea would to be release 3 packs with maybe random crew or random aliens. It might have even been better to release them with the bigger monsters to clear up a space or two in the 6" scale. I think there are a ton of different ways to have done this and I agree that the online route was the worst choice for THIS line but I cannot disagree with the logic behind it.

#47 FMT

FMT

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:12 AM

I think McCoy couldve sold well at stores. He has a decent role in the movie and the Spock figure is very difficult to find but Chekov wouldve clogged pegs. Releasing Kirk, Pike and Sulu all at once wasn't the best idea...black shirt Kirk shouldve been in wave one. But it's too late now. If this will extend the life of the line, i'm all for it. But a lot of kids will be looking for those figures to complete the bridge playset.

#48 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 12 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kids are going to go to the store see a guy in blue, a guy in gold and a guy in red. They are going to continue to look through the pegs and find a guy in brown and thats about it. This wave is going to give much needed diversity to the pegs. I think McCoy and Chekov would only clog the shelves more. Im not saying I think it is a good idea to go the online retailer route...a better idea would to be release 3 packs with maybe random crew or random aliens. It might have even been better to release them with the bigger monsters to clear up a space or two in the 6" scale. I think there are a ton of different ways to have done this and I agree that the online route was the worst choice for THIS line but I cannot disagree with the logic behind it.

I know that when i was a kid looking at the Mego Star Trek figures, i was looking for the actual characters, not just a blue, red, or yellow guy, i knew the difference and i imagine most kids today know the difference too if they saw the movie.

#49 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:41 AM

But thats the thing...I think they are marketing these as toys for kids who may not have seen the movie. If Trek is to remain viable in the toy aisle they have to make dynamic figures that can appeal to all sorts of people including those who aren't fans of the movie. A kid walking down the aisles has to stop and say "wow thats really cool, I want it." Plus in a kids mind, they probably already have a McCoy and Chekov figure so does it matter if they are in a new uniform? When I was collecting Playmates the first go around as a teen I only purchased one version of each character. Im sure there are plenty of people that still do the same.

#50 hcmv007

hcmv007

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:09 AM

I saw on ebay that you can preorder Wave 2 and it includes Enterprise Chekov and McCoy. I don't know why they would be exclusives, since the ones in those uniforms are the best sellers.

#51 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

To anyone concerned about being able to get these exclusive figures, go to playmatestoys.com and go to the contact us tab. Let them know that you want to find these in stores and not as online exclusives. I got a response back from Paula Billingsley that she would let the marketing department know about these concerns. Hopefully if enough of us send in complaints, they will get these exclusives out and avoid a "1701 Series" fiasco again.

#52 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

I really dont see what the big issue is...buy them online and if you dont like the paint jobs on the others wait till they come out in the store...pick out the ones you like...buy those and return the ones you dont like. Yes its like 15 minutes of extra work but its worth the hassle and who knows maybe youll like the paint jobs you get online. This isnt even close to the 1701 fiasco and this one has a pretty simple fix. Id much rather have these released as exclusives than have them sit on shelves and kill an already questionable line.

#53 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

In my opinion, i think making the 2 figures of McCoy and Chekov in their regular duty uniforms exclusives because they are worried about moving figures is a mistake. If they are really worried about figures clogging the shelves, then dont make figures like the bland looking cadet figures, which all look alike. Regular duty Chekov and McCoy are more appealing i think and have a better chance of selling IMO. I can deal with the DST specialty market exclusives because we primarily get these online anyway, but the Playmates line is a B&M store line, and all of the figures should be available there. Using 2 figures to force us to buy all 10 figures from a online retailer is CRAP in my opinion, and i dont like it. If walmart sells these for $4.99 each, and in order to buy from Rick i have to pay $6.99 each just so i can get two exclusive figures, thats a rip off, especially if i get googly eyed figures with crappy paint jobs and two left feet.

#54 egoing

egoing

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

Playmates are at least offering them as online exclusives. They can't force the big box stores to order product they don't want. I do wonder if the line continues past these though, as playmates had bigger plans for more ships and play sets.

#55 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jul 28 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To anyone concerned about being able to get these exclusive figures, go to playmatestoys.com and go to the contact us tab. Let them know that you want to find these in stores and not as online exclusives. I got a response back from Paula Billingsley that she would let the marketing department know about these concerns. Hopefully if enough of us send in complaints, they will get these exclusives out and avoid a "1701 Series" fiasco again.

I sent in a complaint to Playmates, thanks for the info.

I have not heard that any stores have refused to order the McCoy and Chekov figures, but i suspect that online retailers asked for the exclusives to get an edge on the B&M stores.

#56 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jul 28 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my opinion, i think making the 2 figures of McCoy and Chekov in their regular duty uniforms exclusives because they are worried about moving figures is a mistake. If they are really worried about figures clogging the shelves, then dont make figures like the bland looking cadet figures, which all look alike. Regular duty Chekov and McCoy are more appealing i think and have a better chance of selling IMO. I can deal with the DST specialty market exclusives because we primarily get these online anyway, but the Playmates line is a B&M store line, and all of the figures should be available there. Using 2 figures to force us to buy all 10 figures from a online retailer is CRAP in my opinion, and i dont like it. If walmart sells these for $4.99 each, and in order to buy from Rick i have to pay $6.99 each just so i can get two exclusive figures, thats a rip off, especially if i get googly eyed figures with crappy paint jobs and two left feet.

Well thats capitalism for you! If an online retailer was smart they'd find a way to negotiate a way to just sell the 3 exclusives. I agree that is stupid to only sell as a complete set and if they are online exclusives they should be made available for separate purchase.

#57 jimbeammeup

jimbeammeup

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 28 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well thats capitalism for you! If an online retailer was smart they'd find a way to negotiate a way to just sell the 3 exclusives. I agree that is stupid to only sell as a complete set and if they are online exclusives they should be made available for separate purchase.

I don't think Playmates thought out which figures to make exclusive very well. Enterprise Chekov and McCoy would appeal to both kids and collectors, meaning they would sell well at the brick and mortar stores. The Cadet figures would make far better online exclusives since they aren't selling well.

Since Playmates figures have had shoddy paint apps, I don't want to order mine online. I will pick up an extra Sulu and Spock and a Cadet McCoy and Cadet Chekov and make bridge versions of McCoy and Chekov myself so I get to pick out the paint apps. This is all the figures would be anyway, since Playmates sculpted one cadet body and one bridge body and are just doing head swaps with different paint jobs on the bodies for new releases.

#58 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (jimbeammeup @ Jul 29 2009, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Cadet figures would make far better online exclusives since they aren't selling well.

How are we making this determination? I keep seeing this but I| see no evidence to support this claim. At the stores I visit there are equal amounts of bridge/cadets sitting on the shelves actually even probably less cadets? Is it just we dont like those figures that we naturally say they are selling well? I just dont understand where this belief is originating. If we should make online exclusives out of things that arent selling well, the only figure in my estimation still on the shelves would be Uhura because all the rest are pretty plentiful.

#59 jimbeammeup

jimbeammeup

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 29 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How are we making this determination? I keep seeing this but I| see no evidence to support this claim. At the stores I visit there are equal amounts of bridge/cadets sitting on the shelves actually even probably less cadets? Is it just we dont like those figures that we naturally say they are selling well? I just dont understand where this belief is originating. If we should make online exclusives out of things that arent selling well, the only figure in my estimation still on the shelves would be Uhura because all the rest are pretty plentiful.

It must be a regional distribution issue then, because I can't find Spock or Uhura anywhere here in Atlanta.. At Super Walmarts, there are 6-8 cadet Chekov and McCoys each, 2 or 3 Scottys, 4 or 5 Sulus, 7 Neros, 1 Pike, and occasionally a Kirk or two. At Target, the only figures on the shelves are Cadet Chekov and Cadet McCoy.

#60 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

What sucks is that Space Suited Sulu is also an exclusive. He would be a little harder to do a headswap as opposed to a Cadet Kirk. That, and it is really not a good idea that you need all the figures to complete your bridge and transporter sets. This really was a stupid move on someone's part in making these exclusives. A Cadet Gaila, Tyler perry's character, Admiral Pike or even some Kelvin crew as exclusives would have been a better idea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users