Photo

How well do you think the new movie toys will sell?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: How well will the new movie toys sell? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

How well overall do you think the new movie toys will sell?

1. They'll fly out of stores! (4 votes [8.89%])

Percentage of vote: 8.89%

2. They'll sell pretty well (13 votes [28.89%])

Percentage of vote: 28.89%

3. They'll sell okay (20 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

4. They won't sell very well (7 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

5. The line will fail utterly (1 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

Who do you think will buy the toys?

1. Adult collectors and kids alike will embrace the line (15 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Adult collectors will account for most sales (24 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

3. Only Adult collectors will buy these (2 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

4. Toys purchased for kids will account for most sales (4 votes [8.89%])

Percentage of vote: 8.89%

Which items do you think will be the most popular?

1. 3.75'' line with playsets (34 votes [75.56%])

Percentage of vote: 75.56%

2. 6'' line (3 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. 12'' line (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Roleplay toys (2 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

5. Vehicles (6 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (flw @ Apr 8 2009, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The wife finally saw the trailers over the last couple of days, and even though she is NOT a trekker of any sort, she's sold on the new movie - she wants to go see it almost (note the "almost") as bad as I do! laugh.gif

Now, if only I could persuade her to let me buy the toys ... sad.gif

So, quick question: How many of you out there have to sneak your Trek stuff into the house??

Me too. That's whats great about the 3 3/4" (Easier to hide) and we'll be able to get these in stores, with cash. My wife won't see all the Paypal receipts and shipping notices for a change. That's what really kills me. Thanks DST and Mattycollector for making things so tough for a married guy to stay cool with his old lady! tongue.gif

#22 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:21 AM

Well,

I'm going to see if I can find some of these, and I will probably pick up the 6" old Spock, but nothing else. Unless they really look better in person but, after seeing the pictures of the 3 3/4 and 6" figures I have little interest in them, outside of maybe using them to make customs or something.

I fear I'm going to see allot of these in the discount bins.

#23 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

I'm intrigued to see what you think of these in-person Gothneo. When the promo pics from the official site came out I thought they'd look awful. But now that I have them in-person I love the little guys and think the likenesses are great. I kind of wonder if small figures just don't photograph very well, since the likeness relies more on an overall impression then detail.

So, how are these selling so far in your area guys? I know it's early days. Right now I'd only expect the more hard core fans to be picking up stuff for the most part. Today I went to the only place in town that has them so far (Wal-Mart, and only one of the three of them in town has them so far) and so far so good. The 3.75'' line is down by about a quarter of their stock, half of 6'' figures are gone and of the 12 Enterprises they had when I first saw them (and they had been freshly stocked) only 3 are left. That's nearly a month before the movie comes out. Now, this is the only place in town to get them right now so that might've helped but already the Enterprise is selling better then most of the other vehicles I've seen populating the toy aisle.

#24 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

I've noticed these have been moving in my area too! I have a few friends who collect Star Wars who are looking at giving these a shot.None of them bought into DST for various reasons, some thought a few of DST's two packs were nice, but wouldn't commit due to the price and availability. I think Playmates may end up with a hit!

#25 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

I just went on a search to see what I could find. After checking various Targets and Walmarts, I finally found them at Toys R Us. They seemed as though they had been well stocked but were running out. They had 12 transporter rooms 4 bridges one ship that was opened and plenty of the role play. However they were down to two 12", three 6", and two 3 3/4"(which I bought). I'm not sure how much stock they started with but judging from the amount of the other items and the empty pegs it looked like they were selling very well, especially considering they had only been out a few days. This same Toys R Us still had plenty of DST Amok Time and TMP two packs that didn't look like they were going anywhere anytime soon. It's probably too early to tell but it looks like Playmates has a hit.

#26 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:15 PM

Just a little update.

All of the stores in town that will be carrying Trek have it now. TRU has their big Star Trek display up front. It's pretty well stocked as they just got most of it in.
Wal-Mart to the north of town has been out of Enterprises for a while and still hasn't restocked. Their stock of toys is about half of what it started out as. More people have started to buy the smaller figures, but right now they seem like the slower seller (or maybe there's just so much of it.) The other Wal-Mart stuck the Enterprise and smaller figures near the CLEARANCE aisle! But it's not surprising as it's a horrible Wal-Mart. Meanwhile they have a whole endcap with only about seven 6'' figures where the stuff could go but I guess they're not smart enough for that... hopefully they're doing a reset soon.
Target has a smaller display but it's pretty much been decimated.

Just in general: Everything is selling pretty well. Certainly better than the Terminator and Wolverine toys.
Right now it looks like Phasers and Tricorders are selling the best of the role play toys. There are tons of communicators still around.
6'' figures are selling very well. Not seen much movement on the 12'' figures or the play sets yet. The 3.75'' figures seem to be selling okay too, though they're not flying out of stores yet. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the movie comes out and see if kids change the availability of the toys at all. Right now they're selling in my area pretty much what I expected if mostly only collectors are buying at the moment.

#27 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:02 AM

I wonder what the packout ratio of the roll play toys are?

It seemed like there were less Trics and Phasers with a fresh case.

#28 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:07 AM

This was kind of interesting, I thought, as far as retailer expectations for the toys:

Over 27 licensees are on board, spanning across the classic and new movie programme, including Vivid Imaginations who is distributing Playmates master toy line across the UK.

#29 Pike

Pike

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:54 AM

Almost all of the original 12 inch stock got sold at my local tru. Same goes for the 3 3/4 line. Im amazed, simply amazed. If TRU has another toy sale, Ill be sure not to miss it. I did pick up an extra Enterprise but now Im endlessly searching KMARTS for the 20$ ship, out of 3-none had it left in stock. I think if the retailers knock off 20% that the line will sell very well due to the volume of people that have already seen the movie. The toy line starting getting its big push when Variety came out with a great review. I am now seeing STAR TREK commercials on tv for the small playsets and the ship and at the end of the commercial they show the role play toys as well as the playsets and the ship. I think STAR TREK will be here for some time to come and I, for one, am very glad about that. We should start seeing more stuff around June.

#30 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:05 AM

That sounds like good news from the UK JW.

I read (on another board) a posting made by a Wal-Mart Associate.

Word is that due to economic concerns and the remodeling that's going on certain lines are being cut back on (it appears that they are taking a bath on Wolverine and Star Trek which may lead to more cut backs).

I think he was just talking about that particular store. But hopefully it's not a trend here stateside. It'd doesn't seem like much Star Trek Product is moving in these parts, but you just never know if stuff is selling really well and they are restocking or if it's just sitting there!

I recall when the 1st Hulk movie came out... Hulk toys were every where, and seemed to rot on the pegs, but the truth was the line sold really well and retailers were very pleased with it.

#31 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

I don't think they'll sell well around here - but due to Wal-Mart's failure to promote them. The two local Wal-Marts haven't put out any Trek figures, and the only one within driving distance that has them has left them to rot on an endcap ever since they were put out. The dark packaging and lack of retinal-provocative graphics leaves you having to look for them in order to notice, and to add insult to injury it's not a spot that you can analyze them very well. The spot has a support beam that leaves the side they're on just big enough for a cart to fit through, so with even light traffic you're left with no desire to stand there for longer than a couple minutes. Unless you're already dead-set on getting them before you find them, you're probably going to walk away uninterested.

My theory seems to be well supported, as of yesterday only a handful of figures were missing from the two 6" and two 3 3/4" set-ups, and maybe a single Enterprise after being in the same spot for literally a month.

I do have to say Spock definitely seems to be popular, though, as all the 3 3/4" Spocks were gone. Can't say anything for 6" Spock, because these cardboard display 6" assortments had no room for Pike and Spock.

But I bought a 6" Prime Spock.

#32 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ May 17 2009, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That sounds like good news from the UK JW.

I read (on another board) a posting made by a Wal-Mart Associate.

I think he was just talking about that particular store. But hopefully it's not a trend here stateside. It'd doesn't seem like much Star Trek Product is moving in these parts, but you just never know if stuff is selling really well and they are restocking or if it's just sitting there!

I recall when the 1st Hulk movie came out... Hulk toys were every where, and seemed to rot on the pegs, but the truth was the line sold really well and retailers were very pleased with it.

It is hard to tell. I feel like the Wolverine figures haven't sold ANYTHING here but Hasbro has said it's been a great success. Also... when it comes to Wal-Mart Associates... unless... MAYBE they are a manager they really wouldn't be privy to a lot of info. They may be told they're cutting back but I doubt they'd be told it was due to specific product lines. I'm guessing they're just making a guess based on what they see at their store. And apparently that doesn't really tell the story. I mean, Power Rangers never seemed to sell but that lasted for years and years. I don't think we'll really know until we see new waves either announced or the line canceled.

Judging by out of stocks on sites like BBTS, Entertainment Earth and TRU they certainly seem to be selling well online. TRU was out of stock of a ton of Star Trek stuff for a bit during their sale and just had restocks.

Also, I have to disagree about the packaging. I design packaging for a living and I think it's kind of amazing. I think it really stands out BECAUSE it's understated. So many product lines have already claimed nearly every color under the sun and are hitting you over the head with graphics that, frankly, sometimes muddle the look of the toy inside. Black is a bold choice but appropriate for the brand and I think they look quite elegant. I do wonder how well it will appeal to kids though. But the design of the boxes themselves has been great, especially since the packaging on the individual figures were kept the same (other than a few identifier cards) to keep costs down.

#33 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

Supposedly that came from the Toy Dept Manager of that store JohnWes.

#34 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (JonWes @ May 17 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dging by out of stocks on sites like BBTS, Entertainment Earth and TRU they certainly seem to be selling well online.

I think most of the online retailers understocked this line just becauise they knew the big box retailers would be stocking a ton of these.

#35 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

Target has their Star Trek line on sale this week. Check it out.

#36 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ May 17 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Supposedly that came from the Toy Dept Manager of that store JohnWes.

All I'll say is that it seems a little early for anyone to be claiming they're "taking a bath" on something since the movie just came out and we're in the middle of a weak economy. I'd just be wary of anyone making claims like that so early, no matter who they say they are. Having worked for a large retail chain store... well, being a department manager doesn't really mean you're in the know about anything. Especially not specific reasons why actions are taken. You usually just have to fill in blanks.

QUOTE (knightone @ May 17 2009, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think most of the online retailers understocked this line just becauise they knew the big box retailers would be stocking a ton of these.

Maybe. As with anything it's all just speculation. I wish we knew! I'd like to know whether Wave 2 (which is guaranteed to come out in SOME fashion) will be readily available at retail or if I need to just order online. I'm hesitant to order the smaller figures online though just because of the paint jobs.

#37 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

At my Wal-Mart, the figures have been stagnant since their release -- but the Playmates *and* Hot Wheels ships are flying off the shelf. I know for a fact that the figures are not moving because I have gone back time and again to see if they got any new stock with better paint jobs and I see the exact same figures every time. In fact often they haven't even moved position on the pegs since I last touched them. Obviously that's just one Wal-Mart, but I thought I'd add my own data point to the discussion. Despite my recent decision not to buy any PM figures, I will still be checking on them from time to time because I will be looking out for new Hot Wheels ships. At my Wal-Mart, those are on the top of two lower shelves below the pegs, right under the figures, and right above the PM ships on the bottom shelf. This is all right next to the Star Wars section.

#38 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (JonWes @ May 17 2009, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All I'll say is that it seems a little early for anyone to be claiming they're "taking a bath" on something since the movie just came out and we're in the middle of a weak economy. I'd just be wary of anyone making claims like that so early, no matter who they say they are. Having worked for a large retail chain store... well, being a department manager doesn't really mean you're in the know about anything.

Well, using your own logic one could discount any positive information in the same way then couldn't they!

In the end the real proof will be the sales that Playmates reports, and we won't know the true strength of those until year end. Until then, as you say, it's all speculation!

#39 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ May 17 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, using your own logic one could discount any positive information in the same way then couldn't they!

Exactly right!

In the end the real proof will be the sales that Playmates reports, and we won't know the true strength of those until year end. Until then, as you say, it's all speculation!

Yeah, sadly. We'll see. I am a bit worried, but it's so hard to say.

#40 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

As for the packaging, Star Wars has recently gone with the all white look so its pretty cool that Trek does the opposite and goes all black. I just wish more stores would start stocking these next to each other and maybe get some cross buying both ways. As for the stock at the stores, Ive seen a wide array of amount of figures left. My walmarts can move the stuff but it seems as if the toys r us sale has moved a lot. Ive gone to 4 TRUs lately and all have moved significant amounts. Im assuming the same might happen with target with the sale this week. BTW...Caedt Uhura is pretty much nonexitent in stores at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users