Photo

What does everyone think of the New Movie Roll Play stuff?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

The TOS Tric's had a screen it was lack of tech at the time (late 60's) that prevented it from being used.

#42 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

AH, yes! I really should have remembered that as I used to have the Playmates version of it.

#43 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

you know, I really liked what ENT did with scanners... I don't think they called them Tric's but they still had some nifty displays...

I would have loved for them to take the basic ENT MACO hand scanner and maybe change it up a bit.

I mean if your changing the design I say really go for it like ENT did...

I picked up this Static Version of the ENT hand scanner, and the entire top is basically your LCARS type display... inputs are on the side!

#44 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Apr 15 2009, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Knightone is correct. For some reason most of the Tric's during the TOS movie era didn't have displays...

Actually, all the ones after TMP had screens as well. The ST3 and the ST5 type tricorders have the screen on the back. The TWOK tric also had it on the back, so we never got to see the screens on any of these models, but they were there.

#45 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Apr 15 2009, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, all the ones after TMP had screens as well. The ST3 and the ST5 type tricorders have the screen on the back. The TWOK tric also had it on the back, so we never got to see the screens on any of these models, but they were there.

Well looky there! I learned something new!

I was trying to find pictures of them, but the ones I saw didn't really look like they had a screen...

any links you have that show them knightone? I'd love to see some!

#46 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

There are some pics over at TPZ of the TWOK tricorder. There are some pics of the ST3 tric on some other prop boards, don't remember which ones, but I've also seen copies of the ST3 tric, molded from the original and tey have the screen on the back. My own ST3 tric also has the screen.

#47 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

Well, after playing with the tricorder for a couple of days, the chrome is starting to rub off of it. There is also a report on TPZ that the chrome is rubbing of the phaser as well. So I would have to take points off for the cheap chrome finish on these toys. I'm not even being rough on these things, I can't imagine they would hold up at all to the kind of beating a kid would give them. They should have just gone with silver paint rather than the metallized finish. It just doesn't hold up. As ugly as the chrome finish already is, it is uglier with black splotches peppering it.

I was able to pick up a couple of the phasers today and I have to say, compared to the tricorder, it is disappointing. The emitter is crooked (it is crooked in both the stun and kill settings), there are gaps all over this thing on the seams, it creaks and rattles a lot, the trigger and the power dial on top are too sensitive and activate too easily, the flip nozzle rarely flips all the way by itself, and the whole thing just plain feels cheap. After the nice construction and feel of the tricorder, this a major disappointment. Not to say I'm not having fun with it, but it should have been half the price at this quality.

I was giving the triocrder a 4 out of 5. With the chrome rubbing off, I'm lowering it to 3 out of 5. The phaser is a 2.5 at best. I would give it a 2 if it weren't for the power up dial and sound. I applaud the effort of adding that detail. Also they get props for doing a two tone finish with the body of the phaser being satin and the grip and tail being shiny chrome. At least there was some effort to give the finish some depth. If the chrome comes off of mine, I'd lower it the score to 1.5 out of 5.

#48 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

Man that's disappointing to hear knightone. Chrome has been doing this for 20 years. I really thought they'd have gotten better chrome by now, especially if they were using it on a toy that's made to be held all the time during play.

I just got these tonight. I really like the Tricorder. It feels nice and hefty and solid. I also like the phaser. Mine doesn't have a crooked barrel and the rotation seems to work just fine. Not sure how it'll hold up though.

The communicator is a nice little piece. I like the solid construction and the noise it makes as you flip it up.... BUT... what's up with the two phrases they chose? I mean, how limiting is that from a play perspective? They should have Zoe Seldana record "Enterprise Here" or something. Something that could have been useful for actual play.

#49 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

My other general complaint about the role-play line is the packaging. They include batteries for the "try me" function, but there is no way to take the item out of the package to remove the batteries without completely destrying the packaging. This is not good news for MIB collectors. As it's either ruin the packaing or leave the batteries in and risk them leaking. Odd how they included the "try me" feature on the role-play, but not the ship.

#50 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:56 AM

Well, a problem just popped up on my phaser. The power up dial on the back is now messed up. It won't play the power up sound and the power light doesn't stay on unless I press down on the dial. I hadn't even been playing with the power up dial at all, it just suddenly started. Haven't been rough on the phaser either. Just flipped the nozzle and pressed the trigger a bunch of times. The QC on these things definitely is not up to snuff. For a toy that is supposedly made for kids, they don't seem like they woudl actually stand the punishment.

#51 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:32 AM

Your not helping my general "Angst" of purchasing these!

I really want to like them, but maybe I need to wait and see if they fix the QC issues on latter releases.

#52 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

I have a set on order from New Force, but this is slowing me down on buying a second set to play with. Momey is a bit tighter these days. No put in buying something that's going to break if you play with it.

#53 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

I will say the tricorder is worth getting if you are going to alter the chrome parts and replace the weak spring or if you don't mind a few black splotches in the finish and having to help the lid open. Basically, it makes a great base for upgrading. Both of the trics I have are great, the only problem being the chrome finish wearing and spring for the upper lid being weak. But it is, overall, a well constructed unit. It's as good as any of the original Playmates role-play toys.

Both of my phasers are terrible, though. Maybe my standards are a bit high, but it doesn't even compare to the build or design quality of the original Playmates role-play releases. I don't understand how there could be such a difference between the quality of the phaser and the tricorder. Maybe mine came from a bad batch, but I think there are flaws in the design that can't be overcome completely. That and some poor QC probably compounded the problems on mine. They really should have spent more time and money on the phaser as the phasers are probably the items I would expect most kids, fans, and collectors would want the most out of all the gear they use in the franchise.

I don't have a communicator yet, but hopefully it is more like the tric in build and quality.

#54 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

Jeeze...this is really making me wish that they let DST take a crack at this stuff instead. I might get the comm, it seems to be the best made of the three.

-Kyp

#55 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (Kyp Durron @ Apr 17 2009, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jeeze...this is really making me wish that they let DST take a crack at this stuff instead.

Heresy!

laugh.gif

#56 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

I went out and picked up the Tricorder,phaser and communicator. I initially wasnt that crazy about these, but the price is like half of what the DST stuff is, and after reading comments here and looking at them again, i decided to go ahead and make the plunge. Target has them for $14.99 each, hard to beat that price. I guess i am thinking that when the movie hits, this stuff may get pretty scarce, and i dont want to miss out.

#57 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:42 AM

My second phaser is slightly better than the first. The gaps at the seams aren't as bad, which takes out some of the creak that the first one has. The emitter is still crooked on it. It is way off center, just like the first one. The emitter still bounces back when you flip it so you have to help it make to position by hand. It also rattles like crazy my first one.

I just took one of my trics apart, though. Looks like the chrome parts are separate pieces. So the tricorder might be a more than suitable base for upgrading.

#58 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

I opened up my communicator, tricorder and phaser this morning. This is what my views are on these:

Communicator: Neat little gadget but i wish there were more sound clips on it and more effects.
Phaser: I like it, wish it had more features, but for the money i think it it decent too.
Tricorder: This is a neat combination of influences from TOS and TNG i think. Opening doors like the TOS Tricorder, but strapless and compact like the TNG version. Makes several diiferent sound effects including a chirp when you push the button that opens the door panels. I think it is a good value for your $14.99-$15.99 price tag.

I am pleased with them and i hope they are accurate to what we see on the screen on may 8.

#59 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

Ah I know the Phaser is off. Can't speak for the others.

#60 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

They've yet to hit the shelves/pegs in my local WMs. You want a 3 in, 6 in or the Enterprise all there but none of these yet.

I'm hoping they spring them on the 20th which is the official release date. I drove to 2 other WMs and no Trek toys at all.

-cs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users