Playmates new USS Enterprise new images

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#21 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (egoing @ Apr 9 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No pictures sorry. The sounds have Kirk and Spock lines.

Spock: Captain Engineering reports ready for launch. Launch sfx.

Kirk: Maneuvering Thrusters Mr Sulu.

Kirk: Arm phasers fire everyting we've got. With phaser sfx.

Red Alert sfx.

awesome, thanks.

So how does this compare with other Star Trek ships from Playmates and DST and even other toys from such lines as Star Wars and Transformers etc...

#22 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (egoing @ Apr 9 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought the Enterprise today. The movie sounds are nice and clear, red alert is especially neat with the strobe effect.

Bought it where?

#23 egoing

egoing

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Apr 9 2009, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bought it where?

Huntsville, AL Toys R Us. I saw the bridge, the transporter and the tricorder.

#24 egoing

egoing

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Apr 9 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
awesome, thanks.

So how does this compare with other Star Trek ships from Playmates and DST and even other toys from such lines as Star Wars and Transformers etc...

Playmates have definitely patterned it after what DST is doing with their ships.

#25 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

Hmmm... can't say I'm excited about all the FX being accompanied by dialogue. But it's not that big a deal. Is there a mode where you can leave the lights running? I don't understand why toy companies don't ever build that in. The only thing I can think of is if they're worried about battery drain but let that be up to the consumer. I do wish some of the people getting the new Trek stuff had a camera or something. smile.gif

#26 egoing

egoing

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Apr 9 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm... can't say I'm excited about all the FX being accompanied by dialogue. But it's not that big a deal. Is there a mode where you can leave the lights running? I don't understand why toy companies don't ever build that in. The only thing I can think of is if they're worried about battery drain but let that be up to the consumer. I do wish some of the people getting the new Trek stuff had a camera or something. smile.gif

The lines are spoken and then the appropriate ship sound plays. You press the bridge dome and cycle through the sounds, that's pretty much it.

#27 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:24 AM

I'll be aquiring one myself as i recnetly came into the money to do so with , and I'll post pictures for anyone who wants to see them in my album. I wonder if any TRU stores will be getting the ships early? I've heard rumblings that some people have seen figures and playsets in some stores .

#28 flw

flw

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:29 AM

What about the ship markings - are they decals or are they painted on?

#29 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (egoing @ Apr 9 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought the Enterprise today. The movie sounds are nice and clear, red alert is especially neat with the strobe effect.

Awesome. Is the stand sturdy? Or wobbily like some of DSTs? spock2.gif

#30 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:44 PM

So how large is the toy?

#31 egoing

egoing

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (flw @ Apr 10 2009, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about the ship markings - are they decals or are they painted on?

The ship is painted and uses tampos.

#32 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:15 PM

Okay... this is one cool ship.

Now not everything's PERFECT for a collector. If you go in realizing that it's a toy first and don't try comparing it to DST's stuff I think most will be happy.

The bad news first: There's no alternate battery cover so you can fly a ship around without a big hole in the bottom. And the hole is quite large in proportion to the toy. The paint apps are fairly limited (probably what you expected) but on mine they were very neat and well done. However, there is a TON of legal copy on this toy. More then I've ever seen on a toy EVER. It's on the main hull as well as all around the light on the bottom surrounding the central light in a circle. You have an on and off switch on the bottom too. So how much this stuff annoys you will probably color your view of it. I think there's definitely room for DST to produce something more collector-friendly some day. But for right now...

It's really cool. This ship is so much fun. I like the dialogue, actually. Its clear and well done and the voices are recognizable. The lights are amazingly bright and cool. The strobing red-alert lights in particular is neat. I think this is a ton of fun. I hope tons of kids buy this thing. I can't wait for the Narada to come out to do battle with it. Also, the size is nice and seems comparable to the DST Enterprises. Eyeballing it I'd say it's 7.5'' x 13.5'' or so.

Thar be mouseprint legalise here cap'n!

Who needs a night club?

#33 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:26 PM

JonWes, great pix of the ship. Thanks for posting. How sturdy is the stand?

#34 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

Thanks! Glad you liked them. Very, very sturdy. Doesn't wibble or wobble a bit.

#35 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

It appears to have the same "chunky" quality that the original Playmates ships had.

#36 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

wow, loving that ship, shame about the battery cover, i'd have thought Playmates would have put one in but for a toy - amazing biggrin.gif i only hope TRU over here in the UK gets a move on with their product!!! anyone from the UK spotted these toys yet? TRU website states the same release date as the US (19th April) so i dunno if it's just the bank holidays that have slowed these down in getting onto the shelves.

#37 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

You know, I have to say the ship doesn't really seem very chunky... at least not when I look at the pic of the Enterprise that's my desktop (it's from the official site) the nacelle supports are the only place where it's slightly larger and that's only right at the top of them where they connect to the nacelles. It looks MUCH better then the proto pic that's on the back of the box.

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Apr 11 2009, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow, loving that ship, shame about the battery cover, i'd have thought Playmates would have put one in but for a toy - amazing biggrin.gif i only hope TRU over here in the UK gets a move on with their product!!! anyone from the UK spotted these toys yet? TRU website states the same release date as the US (19th April) so i dunno if it's just the bank holidays that have slowed these down in getting onto the shelves.

From the Doctor Who Forum:

For those who fancy a 'Trek' (sorry poor pun!!) around there Argos's they got small supplies of the smaller figures and Phasers in stock today numbers as follows:

figures

#38 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:45 AM

fantastic biggrin.gif i'll hit the stores on Monday/Tuesday biggrin.gif thanks biggrin.gif

#39 CaptainArcher47

CaptainArcher47

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

Here are more shots to add of the New Enterprise I picked up today at Toys R US. The quality is a little better then you would expect from a mass produced Playmates item, and much better then the late releases in 98 and 99, but there are some quality control issues- smudges and the legal writing as mentioned earlier is a bit of a joke. Also batteries are not included. The stand is nice very stable and easy to use and pose, unlike some of my DST stands which im afraid to sneeze on. I am in Grand Rapids Michigan, and There was a small quantity of Trek stuff at the Toys r us, 2 ships now 1 and the 3 in figures. Of course other stores might have more in the coming weeks, always slow here for some reason.

Tons of pics in the photostream.

My Photostream

#40 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

Great comparison pix, Captain. Can anyone post a vid, demonstrating the lights and sounds?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users