Playmates new USS Enterprise new images

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

http://startrek.play...index/vehicles#

What do people think of the toy?

#2 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

I love the lights. I love the blue stand. I love the the contours of the ship. I want one and I might buy a few more to customize into other non-canonical ships like the Defiant just because they look that nice!

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Mar 25 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love the lights. I love the blue stand. I love the the contours of the ship. I want one and I might buy a few more to customize into other non-canonical ships like the Defiant just because they look that nice!

Agreed on all counts. Very nice and I may buy more than one.

#4 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Mar 25 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://startrek.play...index/vehicles#

What do people think of the toy?

I think it kind of looks stupid in Angle #1 (thumbnail on the zoom view page). Side angles from the vertical center and a little below, where you can see the bottoms and tops of the nacelles at the same time make them look comically over-sized to me. From all other angles they seem fine. I haven't seen the actual movie version from enough angles to know if it looks that way in reality -- it probably is not PM's fault.

Still going to buy one though!

#5 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:41 PM

I actually love the over sized nacelles, i think they suggest power and strength, i don't think there comical, they remind me of jet engines. I think the whole ship harkens back to the Motion Picture Enterprise and an updated version of the classic all thrown together in this organic looking shape, I love the use of blue rather than red too. I hope the toy comes with an extra battery cover without a hole.

but yeah will definitely get this one.

#6 Zodou

Zodou

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, the engines do look that comical in the film. Way oversized in my opinion. However, I think I'll get one just to use the saucer if nothing else.

#7 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

Looks good to me! And Playmates unlike DST , knows to put thier products out on the market where their consumers can easily access them , not in exclusive online stores or comic shops , but places like Wal Mart, Target , K mart , and Toys R Us and I think most of us has at least one of those with in 5 to 15 minutes of us!

#8 flw

flw

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

I'll end up getting at least one, maybe more - the design is growing on me, I have to admit. But what I wonder are a couple of things: First, I don't see any indication of an extra battery cover. Second, are the ship's markings painted on, like AA/DST's, or are they decals? I didn't see any application instructions for decals in the "manual" sheet. (I'm hoping they're painted on ... one less thing to worry about.)

#9 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (Fleet Captain Kor'Tar @ Mar 25 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks good to me! And Playmates unlike DST , knows to put thier products out on the market where their consumers can easily access them , not in exclusive online stores or comic shops , but places like Wal Mart, Target , K mart , and Toys R Us and I think most of us has at least one of those with in 5 to 15 minutes of us!

For what it's worth, DST does solicit to the big box stores, it's just that those stores aren't buying Star Trek. The only reason the corporate buyers are buying the toys from this line is because of the huge publicity push for it and the fact that this is a fresh version of Star Trek, not the old version. Buyers for these companies are more comfortable buying toys based on a potential blockbuster movie, gambling on the fact that it might be a hit. If the first wave doesn't sell or the movie bombs, don't count on seeing the rest of this line being widely available, if at all as it will end up in the same boat as DST's line and the buyers at those big box stores will end up avoiding it like the plaque (or, rather, the previous Star Trek franchise).

I've already preordered a few of these ships from New Force. Hopefully they will be nicer than the Playmates ships from their first Trek line.

#10 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

To be honest, when I look at it, it screams 'toy' to me. That's why I love my AA ships so much. I really don't want to buy one because of that, but I'm starting to like the design of the new ship, but that might be because of that really good model of it in the cinema (can't remember specifics of it, but I'm sure you'll all know what I'm talking about!). smile.gif

#11 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

^ Yeah i know the one too, awesome model, I'm hoping someone will do a really detailed replica of it (Corgi!!) but i dunno, personally i think this ship is on par with DST's classic Enterprise, it's probably made of sturdier stuff too.

It seems Playmates have come a long way since the First Contact and Insurrection Enterprise - E's

looking forward to it. apparently it's around 14 inches long too so not too big either which i think is a bonus since it wont take up as much room.

#12 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:29 AM

Those models are, I believe, provided by Quantum Mechanix, who will be producing a studio scale model of the new movie Enterprise for release later this year.

#13 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ Mar 28 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those models are, I believe, provided by Quantum Mechanix, who will be producing a studio scale model of the new movie Enterprise for release later this year.

biggrin.gif this just made my day! definitely going to get that!!

#14 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:57 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...-...A1|240:1318

new images over at ebay... i like it, but the light bleed looks really bad.

#15 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:45 PM

Man that looks cool! The lights look so bright. I was a little worried after the way the lights looked in the commercial. This looks great to me though. I don't see a lot of light bleed except on the top of the engines.

#16 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Apr 6 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man that looks cool! The lights look so bright. I was a little worried after the way the lights looked in the commercial. This looks great to me though. I don't see a lot of light bleed except on the top of the engines.

Yeah i've had a propper look and it doesn't seem too bad, and actually looks pretty cool with the light bleed anyway lol. Theres a lot on top of the saucer and round the impulse engines as well as the nacelles but i think i got a lot more confused with the blue reflections on the plastic - those are some bright lights! biggrin.gif

love it, really can't wait for it to be released biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#17 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

I wonder if it has a constant on feature? Can't wait to see the Narada.

#18 egoing

egoing

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

I bought the Enterprise today. The movie sounds are nice and clear, red alert is especially neat with the strobe effect.

#19 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

wicked, any pics??? biggrin.gif

#20 egoing

egoing

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Apr 9 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wicked, any pics??? biggrin.gif

No pictures sorry. The sounds have Kirk and Spock lines.

Spock: Captain Engineering reports ready for launch. Launch sfx.

Kirk: Maneuvering Thrusters Mr Sulu.

Kirk: Arm phasers fire everyting we've got. With phaser sfx.

Red Alert sfx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users