• Please log in to reply
393 replies to this topic

#41 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

It's interesting that playmates, according to TNI did hold part of the license until at least very recently.

#42 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

Very happy to know Hasbro have the Star Trek toy license. I'm not sure what all the confusion surrounding what exactly they will be producing is all about because it's made very clear in Hasbro's initial press release and in the original article on startrek.com

First up will be a line of premium KRE-O Star Trek building sets that will feature legendary characters and familiar spaceships from the enduring Star Trek franchise. The KRE-O Star Trek sets will feature high-quality KRE-O bricks, as well as new KREON figures in the likeness of popular Trek characters. Further, Hasbro will also offer a line of role-play toys as well as select new figures with which kids and fans can act out fantastical Star Trek adventures of their own imagining.

“The Star Trek property is an entertainment giant known by millions across the globe and Hasbro is thrilled to be working with CBS Consumer Products to bring the franchise to life in toy form,” said John Frascotti, chief marketing officer, Hasbro, Inc. “As a global branded play company, Hasbro delivers the best properties in a variety of formats to consumers around the world. We’re excited to offer fans the opportunity to experience icons of Star Trek in exhilarating new ways with our KRE-O building sets as well as with new role-play items and more.”

My understanding takes this to mean:

Before the movie release we will see Kre-O sets based on Star Trek

Then a line of role-play and figures released in conjunction with the movie released in the summer and winter of 2013.

I'm 100% certain this license covers the entire franchise from TOS through to JJ Abrams Star Trek. Including 3 3/4 scale action figures, ships, role play, play sets, board games, potato heads, mighty mugs, Kre-O sets and the rest. Whether the line is a success remains to be seen and is really up to how well the movie is received and what CBS plan to do to market the franchise to kids (Animated Star Trek anyone?). We can remain certain that Hasbro will put out some brilliant toys coming next year. I think we'll hear more as this year moves on and as we get closer to next years toy fair - I would be stunned if we heard or saw anything this year.

I'm hoping for a 3 foot JJ Abrams Enterprise with firing projectiles, lights and sounds as well as shuttle craft ships to put your figures in and a bridge/Enterprise play set biggrin.gif

VERY EXCITED!!!!

#43 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Feb 13 2012, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's interesting that playmates, according to TNI did hold part of the license until at least very recently.

It makes sense, Playmates had intended for their line to do well and probably had hoped to still be making them.

Personally I think these licensing agreements should have some sort of clause that terminates the license when the company stops making products for a certain amount of time. To avoid situations like DST's current one where they have stopped making figures but apparently are still holding the license. Either make the figures or give someone else a chance.

#44 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Happy to see your reaction to the Hasbro news, 1701! It's been a long time coming but I'm glad to see Hasbro's name tied to Star Trek. My interpretation of all the news is the same as yours. The only confusion here is will DST go the Marvel Select route with their Trek figures or not? Theres certainly room for stuff from both companies as we've said all along!

#45 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Im worried that Hasbro sees money in the gimmicky stuff such as the Kree-O maybe board games and other typical "nonsense" releases but dont see the value in a toy line due to the underwhelming reponse from Playamtes and to some extent DST. Im glad Hasbro has their hand in the pot but I do not see it as a certainty that we will get toys from them.

#46 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:31 AM

I'm not sure why you don't see it as a certainty when Hasbro's own press release states that they will be doing toys.

I think Hasbro will have seen Playmates (not so much DST since they are not in direct competition) offerings in 2009 and actually thought we could do better and make this a viable franchise to sell to kids. We're also talking about a franchise reinvigorated after the 2009 movie, in which it seems to have a prosperous future, where as before 2009 when CBS/Paramount were risking a lot, the confidence may not have been there from Playmates. It's a totally different ball park now, CBS seem to be pushing Star Trek as a brand that kids and fans will enjoy for the first time or all over again - I wouldn't be surprised if sometime this year an animated series is announced to air on The Hub or Nickelodeon.

The thing is Hasbro's toys are wildly popular, they have a very good reputation with kids due to the brands they carry as well as collectors too because the toys they produce are of a different quality to those produced by anyone else, including Playmates. It wasn't just Star Trek toys that failed to win fans and kids over in 2009 and in subsequent years, it appears to me at least that Playmates Toys have become less and less popular - Their Shrek line flopped, their Family Guy line has seemingly died, this year sees the return of TNMNT and whilst they look to have put out some decent product for that show, it's hardly a convincing display of what PM does compared to what Hasbro have shown this year.

In all honesty, it's far too early to tell but it's clear in my mind that we'll see a line of Kre-O products hitting shelves to begin with and then as we get closer to the movie, a full range of "robust role play and select action figures" just as they do with the Marvel films.

I'm guessing they'll do product based on Star Trek 2009, Star Trek The Original Series and the new 2013 movie.

One thing is certain, unless kids really take to Star Trek and there's a massive surge in wanting to collect the toys, I doubt we'll see anything like we've seen from Hasbro's Star Wars range and even if we did, it would be hard to believe Hasbro will touch DS9, VOY or ENT.

As for DST - chalk and cheese, DST's focus remains on the older collector and not the kids - I'm really not sure why they insist on getting product into Toys R Us, in the UK, DST product has been and always will be only available from comic book stores. Hasbro is in a completely different league.

#47 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

You are assuming the figures you referenced in your above post are action figures. They could just as easily be referencing the Kree-o line or any other assortment of representations.

#48 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

I'm not worried at all about licensing issues, if Hasbro decides they want to make a 3 3/4 line of figures or anything at all for that matter I'm sure CBS will let them do whatever and anything they want. I seriously doubt DST's contract is worth anywhere near the kind of money that a full retail line of toys from Hasbro would bring in.

#49 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Feb 14 2012, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are assuming the figures you referenced in your above post are action figures. They could just as easily be referencing the Kree-o line or any other assortment of representations.

But clearly they aren't referencing just Kre-O figures, of which are called "KREONS" and Kre-O product. The fact that they state separately from the initial sentence about Kre-O product, a line of robust role-play items and a select range of new figures are ALSO being produced is just obvious that this isn't just going to be a Kre-O line.

This time next year we'll have seen a full range of Star Trek toys from Hasbro I'm sure of it. You just have to look at the lines they have out this year for the big blockbusters similar to Star Trek; The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man, Transformers, GI-Joe and Star Wars to know that their Star Trek range will be very similar to these lines.

I'm sure we'll see Nerf phasers and that kind of thing but I'm sure we'll also see Kre-O products, Kreon's, 3 3/4 inch action figures and scale ships/shuttles and an electronic Enterprise and Villain ship. 110% sure of that.

#50 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

I have learned over the years, when it comes to talk about new Star Trek products, don't count your redshirts till the end of the mission. wink.gif

#51 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

I think that by "collector figure," Hasbro is probably saying they won't be doing figures in a 6" scale. When Hasbro started Marvel Universe alot of collectors were ticked off by that so Hasbro went back and made 6" scale exclusive figures for collectors who started collecting the old Toy Biz 6" range. It might be reaching, but I think Hasbro is telling us indirectly not to expect two scales of action figure. DST will bring us the collector scale and Hasbro will stick to what they do so well- 3 3/4"!

#52 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Feb 14 2012, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...It might be reaching, but I think Hasbro is telling us indirectly not to expect two scales of action figure. DST will bring us the collector scale and Hasbro will stick to what they do so well- 3 3/4"!

What would be really cool is if they could collaborate, so that DST could build on the success of the 3.75" line (that I expect/hope for) and they could work their timing out so that there could be 7" figures that coincide with the 3.75" line. Ah...if wishes were horses...

#53 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Custom Ships and Playsets

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (1701 @ Feb 13 2012, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...I'm hoping for a 3 foot JJ Abrams Enterprise with firing projectiles, lights and sounds as well as shuttle craft ships to put your figures in and a bridge/Enterprise play set biggrin.gif

Of course, if the BMF is any indicator, the "Shuttlecraft" that goes with the BMF-E will fit exactly one figure!

#54 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:28 AM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Feb 14 2012, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What would be really cool is if they could collaborate, so that DST could build on the success of the 3.75" line (that I expect/hope for) and they could work their timing out so that there could be 7" figures that coincide with the 3.75" line. Ah...if wishes were horses...

I really don't think they need to collaborate, Hasbro has a license that covers the entire franchise and to be honest, Hasbro's sculpts and paint jobs often out do even DST so I think Hasbro will do fine on their own.

I really hope this is a line that Hasbro really stick with and not just dump after the next movie. Star Trek needs another 90's revolution with the kids. In the 21st century the way to a kids heart is through the tube, movies come and they are blinding but they go and kids move on. If CBS/Paramount really want to get this franchise out to the masses, they'll need to put in the effort. I think it's great what they're doing with TNG on Blu-Ray and the product (however bad some of it might be) they've got coming out for TOS but these will only ever appeal to adults who grew up with those shows. I think what CBS need to be thinking about now (perhaps they are indeed thinking about it very seriously atm) is an animated Star Trek series that ties in with the current JJ Abrams universe/movies.

The Doctor Who and Next Generation cross-over comic book is a superb idea too so perhaps TNG isn't too long in the tooth for some kids to find exciting.

#55 hcmv007

hcmv007

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

I hope we do see a 90's type Star Trek revival with Hasbro. Patience is a virtue for us all.

That said-while I wasn't happy with Playmates' quality in the 2009 line, they should be thanked for what they did in the past. With Hasbro I have high hopes.

#56 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Feb 14 2012, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When Hasbro started Marvel Universe alot of collectors were ticked off by that so Hasbro went back and made 6" scale exclusive figures for collectors who started collecting the old Toy Biz 6" range.

Actually, Hasbro drove the 6" line into the ground by backing off on the articulation and getting chincy on the paint applications. Many collectors abandon the line in protest, and then Hasbro pulled it citing poor sales performance. Mattel stepped in an filled the gap w/ DCUC. So now ML has returned, and they seem to have the mix right again!

QUOTE (Fat Valentino @ Feb 14 2012, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course, if the BMF is any indicator, the "Shuttlecraft" that goes with the BMF-E will fit exactly one figure!

I think its unlikely that we will ever see something like a Trek version of the BMF. That was very expensive for Hasbro to produce... and it takes a ton of retail space at lower overall margins... so typically neither retailers nor manufactures want to take those kinds of risks. Hasbro did simply because fans already demonstrated loyalty with their wallets.

QUOTE (hcmv007 @ Feb 15 2012, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope we do see a 90's type Star Trek revival with Hasbro. Patience is a virtue for us all.

That would be nice, but I think those days are gone. Trek needs to be much more in the mainstream media spotlight to have such a revival.

#57 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

Exactly my point , Goth. When Hasbro took over Marvel they were taking on a scale for which they had not made thier own. Hasbro has always dealt mainly with 12" and 3 3/4" figures. In most Hasbro Star Wars QnA's Hasbro always shoots down the idea of 6" scale figures. The only reason we are seeing a return of 6" Marvel Legends figures is because Collectors demand it. I think it's highly feasible that by Hasbro saying that they aren't doing collector figures that they are stating that there will not be multiple scales. Which is fine by me, Playmates should have mustered all their efforts behind one consistent scale. Maybe they would have had a better line! I only hope DST will step up to the plate and get us a JJ-prise and a USS Kelvin, some role-play phasers and communicators from Star Trek 2009-12 and some 7" figures similar to Marvel Select.

#58 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Unfortunatey, DST doesn't have the license to produce any toys based on JJ Abrams' Trek. This makes the Kelvin and the Narada the only two Prime-Universe ships they are not allowed to make.

#59 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Feb 15 2012, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Playmates should have mustered all their efforts behind one consistent scale...

I think Playmates made a mistake trying not one but two new scales. If they had wanted to go the 3.75 route instead of the 4.5 route like their previous Trek venture, they should have had their larger figures be consistent with the available DST collections. I had no intention of starting a new 3.75 set but I would have per-ordered the larger set sight unseen had they been in the same scale. Granted, they would still probably have been crappy...but that's besides the point.

That said, I will consider a Hasbro 3.75 line...I just hope they expand into all Trek. Really it will be the only way they can try and keep the line going between films unless there is an animated series. I'm intrigued to see what they have to offer.

#60 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

Hasbro will probabyl screw this up as they have done with the Marvel line so not all that happy that they have the license. But I'll wait and see what they have planned figure and ship wise before saying I won't buy anything,lol! Gonna have a quick chat with them at Comic Con in July,see what they have to say.

Btw,whay are you calling it BMF Enterrpsie? Sounds kinda weird when you say the whole thing-Big Millenium Falcon Enterprise.....LOL! Have fun y'all! J-R!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users