• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 tuvok47

tuvok47

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:57 PM

Oh. You were intrigued by your own comment?

#42 trekhunter1701

trekhunter1701

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:03 PM

On Facebook DST wrote in response to someone saying they can't wait for the next Trek Tek:

"It's a good one!"

I'm intrigued to know what's next if it's so good.

#43 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:48 PM

Ok, see that's what I was asking.  Thanks!

#44 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:16 AM

So we have to wait longer to buy it. Whatever.

#45 Zodou

Zodou

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:06 AM

I want it too but I'd rather they get it right than release it now and have it suck royally. I wonder if they'll release the version from "Final Mission",  It's the only other variant of this Phaser. I think having a distressed Starfleet Phaser would be awesome!

#46 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:45 AM

I'm just guessing here... so if I'm completely off base Zack can feel free to set me straight, but I don't think production issues have much to do with the delay. I'm guessing they have the kinks worked out of the product, but DST's biz model essentially requires them to have a minimum number of orders. 

The result of which feeds back through many sites as pre orders. So they seem to hold off on a production run until they have that minimum.

Like I said, I have no actual idea of the inner workings of DST, but I've pieced this general assumption together over the years of supporting their products, and from different comments different DST reps have made. For example, Some of those last Runs of Trek Action figures were never made because of lack of interest.

I suspect if more people had pre-ordered them they would have been made. Thus I think peoples pre-orders in general do make an impact on DSTs Trek offerings. 

#47 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

If that's the case, I wonder if they base it soley on pre-orders or take into account people like me that own nearly all the Trek Tek but always order it after release.

#48 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:31 PM

Same here, never preorder anything. I guess if I did, my collection wouldn't have a few holes in it: MirrorMirror Marlena, WNMHGB Sulu, Ezri Dax and Screaming Kirk.

#49 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:51 PM

Trek Products these days are typically pretty low numbers. Its so telling that when playmates did 1701 limited runs it turned people off from collecting the line, but these days I think anyone would be doing well to sell though a lot of 1701 trek toys. 

I would guess that retailers place orders with DST based on expected sales which they would be smart to trend based on pre-orders. It gives them a way to judge demand. 

#50 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:15 AM

The last few assortments of Trek figures did have very low orders, yes. It was why they were not produced. We have minimum numbers we need to produce to offer our products at the price we need -- or at any price, really. There have been times we've ordered the minimum anyway, then been unable to move the remaining product through re-orders, and it ends up costing us in the long run. At that point, whatever was going on, we made the decision not to risk it. I'm sure we wanted to make them as much as anyone.

I do not believe there were any pre-order concerns with the phaser, but I do believe that we still hold off on the more costly electronics development work until after numbers come in, in case something similar happens. So once orders are in, we do the programming and wiring, and sometimes those lead to engineering challenges based on the item's unique sculpt (the play pattern is largely the same as past phasers). It's why it takes longer from solicitation to release for a ship or Tek than it does a bank or ice tray.

The other thing that impedes production is Chinese New Year. It's a national holiday, and it lasts a couple of weeks. But you should have it in the spring.

#51 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:35 AM

Same here, never preorder anything. I guess if I did, my collection wouldn't have a few holes in it: MirrorMirror Marlena, WNMHGB Sulu, Ezri Dax and Screaming Kirk.

Mirror Marlena was a con exclusive, and was then sold later signed. Not sure she was ever up for pre-order. But I could be wrong.

#52 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

I could be wrong too but I thought I saw her on New Force or Entertainment Earth as part of the whole wave of Mirror Figures. Hell I'm 35, I can't tell you what I had for dinner 5 days ago let alone something from 2006ish!

#53 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for chiming in Zach. I totally get how DST has to do business... and I get that you need some assurance on the numbers before you can finish the product. Its only good business sense these days. 

#54 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

Spring is cool with me.  I look forward to getting this phaser...it looks like it'll be great. 

#55 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

It really does look nice, next to the assault phaser from 5 and 6 this was my second favorite TOS phaser.

#56 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:22 PM

Has there been any word on how the type 1 will be connecting to the type 2? Is it going to be like the TOS Phaser? Or have magnets like the TWOK one?

Personally is prefer magnets given how finicky the type 1 has been on my TOS Phaser.

#57 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

I could be wrong too but I thought I saw her on New Force or Entertainment Earth as part of the whole wave of Mirror Figures. Hell I'm 35, I can't tell you what I had for dinner 5 days ago let alone something from 2006ish!

I'm sure the various retailers sold each other their respective figures and sold them as a set.

Has there been any word on how the type 1 will be connecting to the type 2? Is it going to be like the TOS Phaser? Or have magnets like the TWOK one?

Personally is prefer magnets given how finicky the type 1 has been on my TOS Phaser.

I believe it's like the TOS, but I have not seen a final sample.

#58 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

I believe it's like the TOS, but I have not seen a final sample.

I know you haven't seen a final sample, but do you know if there is some kind of button release then like on the TOS one? I know with the TOS Phaser I had that stopped working, the type 1 would always pop out because I didn't realize there was a release and was just pulling it out, which made it looser. My new one is slightly better, it isn't popping out nearly as much.

Unless of course how the trigger works is completely different from how the TOS one does, then I don't expect any problems. 

#59 mynameschris

mynameschris

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

Anyone with one of these on order been notified theirs is on the way or seen them in stock anywhere?

Forbidden Planet did have them set as being available from today (the same as the STVI Ent-A which actually showed as available to buy on Saturday) but now shows as not coming in until the 30th of June. Has this (or at least FP's shipment) been pushed back again or have they simply used up their incoming stock?

I haven\t reserved one yet but had thought about getting one along with the new 1701-A and figured even though they charge shipping per item it would hopefully mean keeping an eye out on the postman just the once.

#60 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:06 AM

I have yet to see them in stock anywhere, odds are they are pushed back. Most places I see show spring 2015, a couple show the June date. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phaser, search for spock, star trek iii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users