Photo

I don't get it. Why can't we be told what the next ship is?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 ensignmelkor

ensignmelkor

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:46 AM

I gave up on DST and went all in on Eaglemoss. Sold all my DST ships except for the Enterprise D, the AGT Enterprise-D, and the Klingon Bird of Prey. Even if DST is still making ships, the wait time is just insane.

Eaglemoss just started their mega-sized ship line and already two of them are out (1701, 1701-D), another has been announced and previewed (1701-E), and a general direction for the line has been announced ("We plan on making all the hero ships.") That's how you do this if you want to keep your customers interested.

#22 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

Yeah I mean, DST have messed up. Fair enough had they decided to give Star Trek a break but clearly they're still working on product so what's the problem with keeping fans hooked on what you're doing?

You don't keep your fans in the dark over product anymore. Get with the programme. Sure build excitement and thrill but don't just completely stop all communication with the fans. Build the excitement, release teasing photos, comments, pictures etc... keep the fans engaged.

Hopefully at some point dst go big with Star Trek. If not, go home. Plenty more Star Trek licences out there for fans to get really excited over.

#23 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

Its kinda like they put out product like its crowdfunded...  If they only get $100... they do $100 worth of design and then wait until they get some more cash... like they wait for current product to show some profit... then skim a % off the top and thats what they spend on moving the next product forward. If thats  whats going on... I get it... but it also means they don't have a real budget to invest in the projects and so they take forever.

#24 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

Admiral class? Seriously?

Wait, clearly I missed something. What was "Admiral Class" in reference to?

Hmm... Eaglemoss already made the next two ships DST has planned, and we're not counting the Reliant on this list, correct? Does anyone remember the top five Federation starships that were commonly requested from DST? I can think of three that were regularly on the list, but I'd need to know about the others.

1. U.S.S. Voyager NCC–74656

2. U.S.S. Enterprise NCC–1701–C

3. U.S.S. Defiant NX–74205

4. U.S.S. Prometheus*

*This is commonly requested, despite "longshot" status.

Note that I've intentionally excluded the Reliant for reasons mentioned above, as well as Miranda–class variants such as the Saratoga, which I fully expect to see as an inevitable variant of the Reliant. I can't see DST not giving us Sisko's first ship if they've tooled the Reliant to allow for such a variant given how this seems like a no–brainer kind of variant like the H.M.S. Bounty BoP was. The Enterprise–C's demand shot up once we got the new "A" and "NX–01," and DST effectively left us missing only one Enterprise in the current style of ship. To me this is a no–brainer, it has the "Enterprise" name, you can do a variant pretty easily (the question is whether with or without battle damage is the "variant,") and DST already has at least one voice clip on the "D" that was taken from Yesterday's Enterprise, so they presumably can get clips for this ship rather easily. This seems like a good contender to release before something that would eat through more of a budget than usual. Voyager is a cool ship that would eat through a big budget, much like the BoP, in part because of its warp nacelles which move kind of like a BoP's wings, and because of its landing gear, which are kind of like the landing gear on a BoP as well. I could see DST doing the Enterprise–C, Voyager, and then something like the Defiant because it follows the pattern that they've been using when releasing these ships. Think about it, the Klingon BoP, Excelsior–class, and Romulan BoP all sort of fit this pattern of one "simple ship, standard ship, and advanced ship" in terms of design complexity. Given the size of the Defiant, it seems like it would make sense to save it until after a complex ship is released since it doesn't require any really unique features like Voyager would, so I'm thinking that the Enterprise–C and Voyager could be our Federation follow–ups to the Reliant. I'm also not taking variants into account that DST might release, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an NX–02 Columbia, I.S.S. Avenger NX–09, and the Saratoga at some point either. They just seem like nice, small, easy variants for DST to produce if they need some extra scratch to make a complex ship a little fancier, and I can't see DST passing them up.

#25 ensignmelkor

ensignmelkor

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:54 PM

The problem is the time frame. If the Ent-C is announced as the next ship, how long would it be, realistically, until we have it in our hands? Two years? I feel like I've been hearing about the Reliant for at least that long now and it still hasn't been released.

#26 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

The one other ship Eaglemoss have done is the JJ Abrams Enterprise from the 2009 movie. I think that's the ship being done at the same time as the Reliant and the expansion of their licence is to include the Abrams movies

#27 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:37 PM

Wait, clearly I missed something. What was "Admiral Class" in reference to?

In the first Twitter link, the person refers to the Enterprise C as an Admiral class. 

#28 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

Reliant and Borg are going to be solicited soon according to the latest Ask DST.  Apparently CBS had not signed off on the license for the Reliant by SDCC.

http://www.diamondse...cific-rim-more/

Maybe they will make the announcement to coincide with Star Trek Discovery? 

#29 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:38 PM

Something cool for the next couple of figures after the Borg select. Wonder what that means!

#30 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:00 PM

JJ verse?  Unproduced Figured (Chappel, Romulan Cmdr)?  Original Geordi???

17sghw2fyw33ejpg.jpg

#31 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:02 AM

haha, I'd buy it if it were articulated and not just a statue with a base. 

I think it's likely to be figures based upon the Kelvin timeline. McFarlane don't have that licence so I'd imagine that DST will be steering their choices of ships and figures in the Kelvin timeline direction. I'd still like to see the Defiant from DS9 and Voyager, I think they'll be coming but I'd not pass up the Kelvin, Franklin or the Abrams Enterprise.

I will only buy the figures if they put proper articulation in them - the static poses just don't cut it anymore.

#32 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:35 AM

Apparently CBS had not signed off on the license for the Reliant by SDCC.

So legalese it is then.

#33 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

In the first Twitter link, the person refers to the Enterprise C as an Admiral class. 

To quote Charlie Brown, "good grief..." C'mon, there's a new Star Trek encyclopedia folks, if you can't afford it, Memory Alpha is your friend too. ;)

So legalese it is then.

And there's our answer, it's not DST, it's CBS that hasn't crossed every "t" and dotted every "i" yet. We know the ship is coming, why can't we just be happy about that until it's ready to be shown? I'd rather wait two years for something awesome than wait two months for something that was rushed.

#34 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:40 AM

And there's our answer, it's not DST, it's CBS that hasn't crossed every "t" and dotted every "i" yet. We know the ship is coming, why can't we just be happy about that until it's ready to be shown? I'd rather wait two years for something awesome than wait two months for something that was rushed.

This begs the question though:

If CBS are fine at signing off on Eaglemoss, why has it taken them two years to sign off on DST's Reliant?

Is it because we expect more from a company who've held the licence for so long or is it because DST have changed tack? Are they almost relaunching their line with new product etc next year and taking a breather from Star Trek?

Personally I think it's a bit of both. I think DST aren't in any hurry to put out Star Trek merchandise. Everyone seems to be waiting; DST, McFarlane, Mega Construx. We've had a few companies like Fan Sets and QMX put out a smattering of Discovery product and of course Eaglemoss are continuing their classic Trek assortment but even they are holding back on their Discovery subscription... until when?

I think everyone at cbs and all of this licensors are holding their breath to see how Discovery performs and how well it ignites interest in Star Trek again before taking the plunge.

#35 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:34 AM

I think, in part, because DSTs product is more complex, which is to say they have sounds, lights, etc.

But I also think part of it has to be DST own process has slow tracked Trek Products. 

#36 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

CBS not signing off on it yet doesn't mean it and other Trek merchandise can't be shown. It has never had an effect in the past with DST or any other vendor. They always put up a sign that says "pending licensor approval ". DST is just spinning more crap as to why they continually let down Star Trek fans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users