• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mike

Mike

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

I can't stand the ripped uniform and goofy pose on the PM TNG Riker. Has anyone made a "regular" version of him? I plan on using a spare Q in duty uniform, but I don't know what head to use. The neck on the torn-uniform Riker is too short, so I'm wondering if the Generations Riker or dress uniform Riker heads will fit. Has anyone else tried this?

#2 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:30 AM

I thought they were all the same. Have you tried a Picard body?

#3 jlp1701

jlp1701

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:43 AM

Hello Mike,
I tried a TNG-Q body with a dress uniform Riker head. Unfortunately the neck is too short. The outcome wasn

#4 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

I tore my pants!

#5 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

Hey Mike,
I have the same problems with the torn uniform on Riker. I tried to use the Q in uniform body (you can either use the Thomas Riker in DS9 uniform-head or the Riker in movie uniform-head. The necks on those two should work.), but the body is a bit slim in my opinion.
If you want to invest more work, try this: Generations Riker torso and head (you'd have to correct the uniform and badge of course) with Q in uniform arms and DS9 O'Brien legs (work well with the torso and make him a bit taller than Picard). Here's my unfinished version:

#6 Mike

Mike

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the input, everyone.
I will pick up a DS9 Thomas Riker and do a simple headswap. I can live with the proportions not being quite perfect, it's still better than the battle damage to me. Anything more than that is beyond my skill at this point, I'm no good at painting figures. Maybe in the future I'll try something more accurate.

#7 Pauln6

Pauln6

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:12 AM

Hi Guys,

a friend of mine looks at the site from time to time, he asked me to pass on the following message...
Hi folks,

I spotted Mike's question about a proper TNG version of Commander Riker. I have been working on my own standard version of the character as part of a 25th Anniversary ST TNG wave I am preparing for the next Custom Con. Since CBS are tweaking Star Trek The Next Generation for its HD release, I thought I would revisit some figs Playmates did, but did not get quite right. I must credit Daysleeper - he gave me the idea with the picture of his Movie Uniform version of the character. Admiral Riker's head with a bit of careful tweaking and filling is much closer to Jon Frakes appearance as the character than the standard Playmates Riker head ever was.

I filled in the hollows under the eyes with Milliput, carefully cut back the hairline at the temples and thinned edges of the beard. The hardest part was pruning and sculpting around the ears so they are exposed completely, instead of being partially covered by hair. I then used Milliput again to eliminate the "gouged head" look in the hair. The body is the first Q fig, with the outermost rank pip cut off. Normally I don't show pics before a wave is finished, but this is a special exception. Pics links are below. (Apologies for the quality).

UPDATED - This link deleted as the pics are now online! - See post nine below.

I did two waves a long time ago of TNG and VGR characters, they are still listed here:

http://www.joeaceved.../d3kinnear1.htm ( Late 2003)

and here:
http://www.toymania..../startrek.shtml (Early 2006)

If you have any questions about any of the figures, the email address on the first page still works. Thanks and I hope the Riker info helps!

Paul, Thanks very much for posting on my behalf.

#8 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the post. I'm glad my Riker inspired some other talented customizer. The pictures of his Riker look great! I've seen the older customs before I started customizing myself. They did in fact inspire me to give it a try, too. Tell him to join the forum, he'd be a great addition. smile.gif
Cheers,
Daysleeper aka Oliver

#9 Pauln6

Pauln6

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hi Folks,

response from Andy:

"The figure wave is now on Custom Con 33.

http://www.actionfig...by-andy-kinnear

Please tell Daysleeper I Thank him for his kind invite, but the truth is these figs were partially a tidy up while I had a little spare time and the pieces. These days, its getting difficult to source parts, and the figures are not getting any cheaper either. There may be one final Playmates Voyager wave for a future Custom Con. If it does happen, (No promises I'm afraid) it will be my last set of custom figures."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users