• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:17 PM

OK, I am going to show some customs here. I guess I could get them all in one place, or do a gallery...
Lets start with a non-unique choice, I was painting with silver and had Dress Spock's uniform prepainted already, and thought why not mix them and see what I get. Well this is what I get...

Behind him is McCoy, but I will need another Mirror figure to complete him. Spock needs some paint removal, but I think I like the resulting colour. I went the extra distance here too. I pulled the tunic off Kirk and put it on a standard Spock figure. I don't like the way the joints show their base colour when they are moved. This might help.

edited to change address

#2 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:28 PM

Since I am on the subject of Spock, here is a WIP with TMP Robed Spock. He is nowhere near ready to be revealed but have a look.
Again I did not create this all by myself, I used this as a basis...
http://i4.photobucke...RobesCncpt2.jpg
I dont know what legs I will use, I dont have any extra TMP nor WOK at this moment. I used the collar from TMP Spock, and the arms are from a Hidden Dragon figure, I guess I can't use him for anything now... lol

#3 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

More Spockiness. Did you know that they released a ToyFair Unification Spock? Well I found out, I ended up buying more then one at that.
One figure sacrificed itself to become

Now I have Kirk Spock and Scotty in WOK uniforms. I think the Kirk can become a Commando Kirk with a slight repaint.

#4 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:44 AM

Nice work !

#5 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:26 AM

I really like using the hidden dragon arms for the robe. Great idea!!

#6 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:45 AM

Any progress on the TMP Spock as of yet?

#7 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:55 AM

No, still looking for legs and how to use the robes from the donor body to my advantage...
And I am attempting to get a good color for the TMP Sulu/Chekov figures...

#8 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:58 AM

I'll be keeping an eye out all the same! smile.gif

#9 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Aug 31 2009, 04:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, still looking for legs and how to use the robes from the donor body to my advantage...
And I am attempting to get a good color for the TMP Sulu/Chekov figures...

I used FolkArt paint "linen". I think it turned out pretty close.

#10 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the colour HSBR, but I am using Games Workshop paint right now. I have been mixing them to the desired tint, and hoping I have enough to get them done without remixing. Having said that, I am not sure I like the results of the paint I am using. I started a TMP Uhura figure, but since I need a head for her, I stopped before finishing it. I primed the body, as I used Troi for a base, and painted. Good coverage with the paint but when I removed the buckle, I was faced with easily scraped off paint. Well, not so bad as I only gave her one coat so far, I just have to repaint and then get new coverage. On a whim I made a small scrape on my TMP Sulu, it was too easy. I did not prime these figures and besides the scrape, the paint feels a bit cool to the touch, and I painted last month.
I have never used a sealer, there is one available at GW for this paint, so I am wondering if that will fix my problems. I don't think I had this problem with the other water based paint I was using - Gunze Aqueous.

One other TMP question. Is there differing size in regard to the Klingons? I want the slightest one of them to do a surprise custom, either that or I have to adjust the head.

#11 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:54 PM

^^In reply to your question about the klingon figures , the TOS Kor and Kang bodies are in the 7inch scale with the TOS TWOK figures , the TNG/DS9 Klingon bodies Gorwon/Martok/Worf et al , are some of the tallest of the 8inch scale and they seem to drawf the TOS TWOK figures .

#12 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

No, I realize that. I WAS referring to the TNG scale, I just need to know if anyone is a bit slighter then any other... Either skinnier or something. I can adjust and I feel that a Klingon might as well be bigger then a human, in any scale. Dont forget the WOK figures are TNG Data sized anyway...
Do you have info on the TNG comparisons? Thanks.

#13 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

Oh ok! From what I've seen of the 3 TNG sculpts for klingon bodies they are all roughly the same height and girths. There's the sclupt that was used on SOE worf which reflects the first Klingon uniforms used in TMP , then there us the bosy sculpt that is used on Gowron, Martok , and Regent Worf which is the second variation on the unform which was first seen on Kruge in ST: III TSFS .The last klingon body for the TNG era is the govenor Worf body which is slightly thicker due to a combination of simulation of his fur lined suit and perhaps to show the character gained a bit of wieght after 25 years .

So if you want Klingon bodies that are slim go with the SOE Worf or any Gowron, Martok, or Regent Worf body . Hopefully this helps .

#14 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

Ok, here is my TMP Klingon, I hope I did him justice.
(need to fix this photo) I was thinking that if he is too big, for his head, I could cut him down the middle and shave him down a bit...
I know it sounds barbaric but with enough preparedness it might not hurt him ...much...

#15 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:40 PM

NICE!

#16 Pauln6

Pauln6

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Sep 5 2009, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I started a TMP Uhura figure, but since I need a head for her, I stopped before finishing it. I primed the body, as I used Troi for a base, and painted. Good coverage with the paint but when I removed the buckle, I was faced with easily scraped off paint. Well, not so bad as I only gave her one coat so far, I just have to repaint and then get new coverage. On a whim I made a small scrape on my TMP Sulu, it was too easy. I did not prime these figures and besides the scrape, the paint feels a bit cool to the touch, and I painted last month.

Cool! I'd really love to see a full compliment of TMP figures. I bought spare TWOK figures for the heads I'll need although I'm not sure that a TOS head wouldn't look much better for Uhura. She just had bigger hair. You should be able to get one in the new Uhura/Kirk 2-packs. I've never had any major problems with Games Workshop paints apart from the reds sometimes producing lousy coverage. I wonder if it has something to do with the age of the paint. I knocked up a Diamondback figure by repainting a Psylocke and the coverage and quality was fine. I've never used sealant either but I'd be interested to know if people think it's necessary.

I don't have access to TRU variants in the UK so I have to wait for another round of TMP figures before I can think about making customs and I suspect they might be a while in coming.

#17 Pauln6

Pauln6

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:24 AM

I just bought an attempt at a TMP Saurian on Ebay. I'd never attempt an ambitious head sculpt like that! I think it was based as much on the 70s Mego Rigellian as the promo pics from the film so it needs some repainting and maybe a bit of work to fine-tune the head. I might be seeking some advice myself when it arraives...

#18 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

Hey show us a picture of him, one that has a bit better detail. I did not think that he did a very good job of taking a picture. He is a bid more muscular then the Mego figure was, should have been more girly...
I think the TWOK Uhura would be fine, either way she needs a new do. I am getting one cast for me and will take it out on the casting. I was thinking of using the younger Scotty for TMP, because I may want the old guy for something else and I only have one...

#19 Pauln6

Pauln6

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Oct 8 2009, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey show us a picture of him, one that has a bit better detail. I did not think that he did a very good job of taking a picture. He is a bid more muscular then the Mego figure was, should have been more girly...
I think the TWOK Uhura would be fine, either way she needs a new do. I am getting one cast for me and will take it out on the casting. I was thinking of using the younger Scotty for TMP, because I may want the old guy for something else and I only have one...

I'm not really confident enough to resculpt hair. I can live with Uhura's Twok wig. A simple repaint should do for Chapel but Janice's TOS hair is rather over the top. On the one hand, I love that beehive, but on the other it does mean she'll look nothing like her TMP counterpart.

I think past TMP customs have used TOS Scotty with a sculpted moustache or alternatively the TWOK head with a bit of the fat shaved off and darker hair. Both of them look ok.

White paint over dark plastic is always problematic on repaints. I'm debating whether to try and repaint the whole uniform on the Saurian or just highlight it. I'm definitely going to go for a purple repaint on the skin, usning the promo pic as a template.

#20 Pauln6

Pauln6

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:10 AM

Well, my TMP saurian has arrived. I think I will recruit some help to try and tweak the sculpt. As it is, I think the haead is a bit too large and it's eyes are too high and too large. I'll see how I get on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users